Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  NIson Easy Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

NIson Easy   This thread currently has 1,037 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
BlueMax
August 6, 2020, 2:42pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
More updates to follow.

The NIson Easy arrived safely in KS tuesday evening, thanks to Greg Doe for bringing her out here!

At first glance her simillarities to the minimax line end at her looks. With a semi monocoque ply fuselage and sheeted wings with a single strut. I will go into greater detail on her construction methods a bit later but for now i will say the build has been greatly simplified vs the standard 1100 and i would bet she could be built in under half the time.

Other differences of note are the airfoil shape, aileron design, and tail design and construction.

She weighs in empty at 245lbs with a CG of 32%.

Attachment: 24_6371.jpg
Size: 372.99 KB

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
BlueMax
August 6, 2020, 2:54pm Report to Moderator

Ace
2 more

Attachment: psx_20200806_095316_7489.jpg
Size: 258.46 KB

Attachment: psx_20200806_095410_7760.jpg
Size: 223.06 KB

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 32
BlueMax
August 6, 2020, 2:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Last one

Attachment: psx_20200806_095517_5851.jpg
Size: 243.96 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 32
Cy V
August 6, 2020, 3:14pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 14 days 16 hours 49 minutes
Any idea why the guys at TEAM decided not to pursue this design past the prototypes?

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 32
BlueMax
August 6, 2020, 5:01pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Cy V,

From what I have been told, the original was lost in a takeoff accident after less than 3 hours flight time and the second prototype was constructed. Construction was
not completed before Tennessee Engineering and Manufscturings bankruptcy and the design was not sold to JDT. It remained in Skip's possession after the sale and was completed to the point of being 95%
ready to fly. It still needs it rudder and tailwheel cables completed and rigged and has some hangar rash that it has incurred that needs repaired.

I must say, I am looking forward to being only the 2nd person to fly a NIson Easy.

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 32
Cy V
August 6, 2020, 8:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I wonder if the current TEAM Mini-Max owner would be interested in buying the design and bringing it to market. I think it's a very interesting design.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 32
BlueMax
August 6, 2020, 9:35pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Cy V,

It is, if it performs well, I may try and build a duplicate as it seems like a very simple build. If that works i might draw up a set of plans. From what ive been told the originals were built off rough sketches and no plans existed for it.

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 32
beragoobruce
August 6, 2020, 10:44pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Very interesting.

The airfoil still looks like a Clark Y - is there much difference?  Presumably the wing structure is different to be stiff enough with a single strut. How thick is the fuselage skin? Clever trick to make a monocoque lighter: usually dacron is the lightest covering, especially over the Max's minimal fuse structure.

Which engine is fitted?

I'll be very interested to hear more of construction techniques & flight handling.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 32
Stilson
August 7, 2020, 4:24am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
The speculative side of me can't help but ask if it's plywood panels only with fiberglass reinforcement tapes  on the corners towards the ends, and 4 longerons in the mid section bonded to the "shell"?
Private Message Reply: 8 - 32
PUFF
August 7, 2020, 11:30am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Quoted from BlueMax
Cy V,

From what I have been told, the original was lost in a takeoff accident after less than 3 hours flight time and the second prototype was constructed. Construction was
not completed before TEAMs bankruptcy and the design was not sold to JDT. It remained in Skip's possession after the sale and was completed to the point of being 95%
ready to fly. It still needs it rudder and tailwheel cables completed and rigged and has some hangar rash that it has incurred that needs repaired.

I must say, I am looking forward to being only the 2nd person to fly a NIson Easy, Wayne Ison's last aircraft design.

Chris

Any Idea of the Cause of the Takeoff Accident?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 32
Greg Doe
August 7, 2020, 6:45pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Wake turbulence from a departing light twin engine at the Tullahoma, TN airport.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 32
Cy V
August 7, 2020, 8:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Did you buy the rights to the airplane too or just the airplane?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 32
BlueMax
August 9, 2020, 3:56pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I got out to the airport yesterday evening to continue working on the NIson Easy. The first item on the agenda is installing a propper tail wheel spring /wheel and rigging cables. Along with repairing a bit of damage to the fuselage caused by the previous setup (an aluminum rod affair). After that I have the following items to address:

1.Reinforce horizontal stab fwd attach points.
2. Remove wings and replace fwd attach tang on left wing(double drilled).
3. Repair cracked gusset and add additional gussets to rear spar carry through.
4. Remove seat and inspect/make any necessary tepairs to the fwd spar carry through.
5. Reinstall wings and repair hangar rash to wing skin.

I am un decided on wheather i am happy with the gear attachment method. Currently there is a short 6" piece of piano hinge at the rear and a single aluminum bracket at the front.

I cut away a damaged portion of the wing skin and got my first look inside the wings. Construction seems very skypup like! Foam everywhere! The spar caps appear to be 1/2" douglas fir with a foam web and foam ribs, and skinned with 3/32 ply. The only fabric covering on this plane is on the tail, everything else is sheeted. The design logic appears to have been, what is the easiest and simplest way to build an airplane! I think team got pretty close with this one!

Below are a few pics of the wing interior, ill be going back out this evening to finish installing the tailwheel spring and see if there is any life in the motor.

Attachment: 16_5200.jpg
Size: 201.65 KB

Attachment: 38_8953.jpg
Size: 200.01 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 32
BlueMax
August 12, 2020, 7:49pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Got some more work done monday evening, the tailwheel spring is now of standard minimax configuration. As soon as i have the horizontal stab attach points reinforced a bit the tail will be ready to reinstall. I think i am going to take the easy way out and route the tailwheel steering cables externally. The Nison Easy was previously configured as tri gear and it still has the external nose gear steering arms protruding from the belly which will make cable routing and hookup a snap!

Attachment: 55_534.jpg
Size: 293.40 KB

Attachment: 36_6576.jpg
Size: 154.30 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 32
mullacharjak
August 13, 2020, 8:31am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

Another Wyne Ison design was the PDQ 2. A very minimal aircraft.I dont know if any were actually built.Recently Free Dwgs were posted on Facebook group (Aviation Plans).If anyone is interested can have a look.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 32
BlueMax
August 16, 2020, 3:13am Report to Moderator

Ace
NIson Easy Update:
I finished beefing up the horizontal stab attach points by installing a vertical between the top and bottom longerons on each side and gusseting them to the little ply blocks that served as the hardpoints for the L brackets. teally made the whole thing a lot more rigid.

I figured my next project would be to get the seat out and inspect the fwd spar carry thru, something didnt seem right as the seat moved and the fuselage sides deformed when you applied pressure to the wings. What i found was a little shocking and i have no doubt that this airplane would have killed me had i tried to fly it.

It has NO spar carry thru structure! the wing attach points are literally bolted to the 1/4 ply seat bottom! literally the onlything keeping the wings from lifting right off of the fuselage is the weight of your butt on the seat and the only thing keeping the attach points from pulling out is the shear strength of the 1/4 inch ply seat bottom.

So this project is going to be on hold for a while, im going to pull the hirth for use on my 1100 while i thoroughly search the Nison Easy for other poorly engineered areas and ponder what to do next.

Attachment: psx_20200815_220856_2434.jpg
Size: 284.94 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 32
BlueMax
August 16, 2020, 3:14am Report to Moderator

Ace
With seat removed

Attachment: psx_20200815_220944_2798.jpg
Size: 285.61 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 32
BlueMax
August 16, 2020, 3:15am Report to Moderator

Ace
The "spar carry thru"

Attachment: psx_20200815_220924_8597.jpg
Size: 306.82 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 32
Akwrencher
August 16, 2020, 5:51am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 days 14 hours 52 minutes
Ouch. That is not a confidence booster.....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 32
13brv3
August 16, 2020, 1:46pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours 25 minutes
Wow!  Didn't this plane fly at least once?  I hope you can find some history to reveal whether this is how it was, or if it got modified somewhere along the line.  Pretty scary.  

Rusty
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 32
aeronut
August 16, 2020, 6:31pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Have you been able to find any weight and balance information or structural calculations? Looks kinda intimidating to me. Best wishes and be safe.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 32
Stilson
August 16, 2020, 7:30pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Is there any indication that the wing root rib was designed to distribute the compressive force over the outside of the fuselage? It appears that the brackets were fitted to the vertical frame member to transfer any vertical load, and if the struts were properly located and pin joints in theory the carry through should only be seeing compressive loads. Perhaps if properly distributed over the length of the seat (which is reinforced from buckling underneath with frames and above by pilot weight) through the skin if it was a tight fit...just thinking outside the box, I doubt an experienced designer would have made that big of a mistake, there might be more to it than meets the eye. If only the original design calculations (if any) could be found it might shed some light on it.
Private Message Reply: 21 - 32
Bob Daly
August 16, 2020, 11:04pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
The lift is reacted by the strut.  It is a "lift" strut.  There is no shear at the wing root.  Stilson is probably right, the compression is reacted by the cross members under the seat.
Private Message Reply: 22 - 32
BlueMax
August 17, 2020, 3:27am Report to Moderator

Ace
The verticals you see in the pic dont contact the attach fittings, they are just bolted thru the fuselage skin to act as a stiffener and keep the skin from flexing too much.

With the wings installed you could walk up to the leading edge and lift it from the bottom, the entire seat would move up until the wing attach fitting contacted the bottom of the vertical (about 3/16 of an inch. If you applied a foward or aft load to the wingtip you could feel the wing move and see the fuselage sides deform under load. The 1/8th ply skin on the right side has a crack about 7" long just above the seat that likely resulted from this motion during a taxi test.

You cant just bolt the wing spars to the seat, you need to have a good solid carry thru to transfer the load to the fuselage structure.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 32
Stilson
August 17, 2020, 3:48am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Without doing a structural analysis of the craft I would in no way say that it is safe/appropriate to fly it, but I will say again that there may be more to the structural design than initially meets the eye.  Lifting on the leading edge Is not an accurate representation of the actual forces acting on the wing in flight.  Look at a paraglider, an entire "structure" under tension.  Stress vectors are not alway intuitive 😉. With the experience background he had i again doubt he would have made that big of a goof up...
Private Message Reply: 24 - 32
mullacharjak
August 17, 2020, 4:09pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

Looks like an RS300 spar carry thru from Minimax should do the job or maybe two.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 32
BlueMax
August 17, 2020, 4:23pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Stilson,

What im saying is i dont believe this plane was ever completely finished. I suspect that this wing attsch method was meant to be temporary. The structure has already failed under taxi loads resulting in damage to the airframe. If it cant hold up to taxi testing it shouldnt fly, no matter how it was engineered. You would agree right?

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 32
Bob Daly
August 17, 2020, 4:23pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
I concur with Stilson.  When designing light and simple, the designer may decide to ignore handling loads.  This airplane appears to have the lift strut at the center of the span-wise loading like the Minimax and Himax, then there is no vertical lift load at the wing root.  With no angled rear strut, there is less compression in the forward spar.  The airfoil appears similar to the Minimax so I would assume a similar moment coefficient.  Then the wing torque box could apply a torque to the fuselage, a down force at the front attachment, up at the rear.  But the front attachment might be very near the quarter-chord point and thus all the wing torque is carried into the fuselage by the rear attachment.  But handling and pilot protection among others are valid design concerns and should be addressed.  Drag and anti-drag forces have to be picked up as well.  Is there a way to put an AL channel under the front of the seat as Mullacharjak suggested? And a wood member would likely suffice for a rear carry-through.
Private Message Reply: 27 - 32
BlueMax
August 17, 2020, 6:29pm Report to Moderator

Ace
The rear carry through is a 1/2 inch ply crossmember, 3" tall and gusseted to the fuselage verticals.

The wings main spar and fwd attach point is at near 50% chord.

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 32
viva_peru
August 19, 2020, 7:28pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 13 days 10 hours 8 minutes
The photo of the interior of the wing made me nervous;  I saw no provisions to carry the shear loads (open spaces, no shear web) and it appeared to rely on the foam ribs to carry the vertical loads between the spars.  It almost looks like a scaled up R/C model structure.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 32
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment