Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Sensitive Bird Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Sensitive Bird  This thread currently has 371 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
dtpilot
July 1, 2020, 8:20pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 16 hours 6 minutes
I've started to run taxi test on my Max 1030. The rudder/steering seems awful sensitive over about 15mph. Is this typical?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Max SSDR
July 1, 2020, 9:30pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
Short coupled and light! They are finger tip aircraft to fly, and be warned, they shed airspeed in the blink of an eye if you move the stick back a very small amount. Having said that, they are lovely to fly unless you've stepped straight out of a Cessna!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
dtpilot
July 2, 2020, 2:49am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 16 hours 6 minutes
Actually coming from 450 hours of Cessna tailwheel time! I knew the Max would take a bit of getting used to, but it was more sensitive than expected. The good news is I graduated today from high-speed taxi to my first flight around the patch. I kept it tight, as the altimeter wasn’t working. The plane handled nicely, and no bent gear upon landing!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
aeronut
July 2, 2020, 12:10pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Congratulations on that first flight.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
BlueMax
July 2, 2020, 12:31pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
dtpilot,

Are you flying off grass or pavement? Rolling out after landing on pavement it is big toe pressure only on the pedals for directional control or you will be oversteering. on grass it is much more forgiving of being heavy footed. Unlike most taildraggers, the max has a direct steering pushrod running the tailwheel so sensitivity increases with speed vs decreasing like it would with a chain and spring setup.

when fast taxiing a max at 15+mph, the best practice is to get the stick forward and get the tail in the air, at slower speeds just like any taildragger STICK BACK and keep it there till you stop moving.

Chris  

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
Avenger
July 19, 2020, 10:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 47 days 8 hours 2 minutes
My first one was a handful on the ground and found the tail wheel bar was not at the right angle and the wheel wasn't straight on the shaft like it should have been.  Got those two things fixed and it was a lot better.  Everyone is right they are light touch planes but just because they are doesn't mean something else isn't making it worse

The light at the end of the tunnel has been sold to China, if you need the light at the end of the tunnel please send 100 Yen.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment