Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Fair price for wood? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Fair price for wood?  This thread currently has 414 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Stilson
June 26, 2020, 1:47am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
I had the good fortune of finding the "holy grail" today, 15 roughly 1 3/8" thick x 14" wide x I'd guess 14' (didn't have a tape measure with me, wasn't looking to buy wood today, just had a conversation turn to "lets go look at something i have in the shed across town") of clear vertical grain Douglas fir. I mean "clear grain", the lighting was dim, and again I didn't have a measure with me but I'd guess +20 grains per inch, less than 1 in 24 runout, only a few nail holes (reclaimed from an old gymnasium bleachers). what is a fair price? He said what he wanted for them, and I agreed to buy them all, going to pick them up tomorrow, but he said he has more in another shed (I'm pretty sure he has the entire bleachers stored away). I plan to horde these first fifteen, but what's a board like that worth now days?  I've spent the last 5 years rummaging through lumber stacks try to find boards with enough usable wood to justify buying it and most of it going to other projects or the wood burner, I'd like to find a fair value to base an offer on what else he has so I can buy it and redirect it to airplane building rather than see it wasted...
Private Message
aeronut
June 26, 2020, 2:19pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
WOW That was a great find! It almost amounts to unubtanium. Good luck finding a fair price.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
radfordc
June 27, 2020, 2:29am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
Akwrencher
June 29, 2020, 5:56am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 days 14 hours 52 minutes
http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Store1/StoreProducts/ProductList/1136

I bought some very nice Fir boards here a few years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
aeronut
July 1, 2020, 3:12pm Report to Moderator

Ace
The D. Fir that was described by Stilson in his post would appear to me to be old growth because of the annual ring growth and the lack of any knots and the fact that it came out of a gym bleachers that are old. I do not know if they are currently harvesting in any old growth stands today but I kind of doubt it. If the wood was cut in the late 1940's for the school bleachers then there is a very good chance that it is old growth. The pricing of the wood from the vendors list may be a valid starting point for a estimated price but I think that the spec's for any wood harvested currently will not be as good as the old growth wood. Your find is quit unique and valuable. Just my .02 cents worth.   

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
Stilson
July 1, 2020, 5:34pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Most definitely old growth, I finally found a way to post pics

Attachment: img_4199_3288.jpg
Size: 31.33 KB

Attachment: img_4197_3714.jpg
Size: 36.13 KB

Attachment: img_4198_5916.jpg
Size: 79.67 KB

Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Stilson
July 1, 2020, 5:39pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
1 3/8" thick, 15' 11" long, straight grain from one end to the other. sealed on all surfaces. The one pic was after running it through my surface planer
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
aeronut
July 1, 2020, 7:47pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Congratulations on your find and purchase. The fact that it will go into a aircraft project and not tooth picks leaves me feeling that there is hope for this crazy world we live in.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
kenneth
March 6, 2022, 2:26pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 10 hours 36 minutes
I found some of this too and thought the same thing. Unfortunately, I was down on money at the time...the seller had a truck load...talk about Holy Grail!. I was able to get 12 ft boards for 25 a piece...he wanted more.  I did buy 4.  Best wood I have ever seen...good luck!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment