Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Aluminum wing tank attachment to wing? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Aluminum wing tank attachment to wing?  This thread currently has 540 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
ITman496
May 25, 2020, 5:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
As my feet do not fit under the plastic front tank, I have moved to a wing tank setup instead.  I asked the guy at TEAM to send a document on how they mount into the wing once I rip my fabric off, but so far, he seems rather busy and has not responded.

Does anyone else here have any documentation on how these aluminum tanks mount in 1100 wings?  The tanks themselves do not have any kind of brackets..  Are they strapped in like the plastic one was?
Logged Offline
Private Message
flydog
May 26, 2020, 12:15am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
TEAM sells an aluminum tank?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 18
ITman496
May 26, 2020, 1:37am Report to Moderator

Ace
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 18
tdweide
May 26, 2020, 4:29am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 12 hours 44 minutes
Currently working on this section of my wing. was about to order a tank as well to start mocking it in. not really sure on the details but i get the gist of it from the plans of the plastic ones. but need the tank to fit and finish it. currently prepping to glue the anti drag and compressions in. including the diagonals that support the tank. probably take me a month to get that done so don't wait on me. and decided there was other things to finish before i need to fit the tank (i.e. spend money during this crazy year)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 18
flydog
May 27, 2020, 12:42am Report to Moderator
Ace
Cool!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 18
flydog
October 30, 2020, 9:55pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Itman did you ever get any details for mounting?
I'd be curious to hear,or see a pic, of the fuel outlet. With the plastic tanks I think it had a 90 deg elbow pressed into a grommet? Very little room between tank floor and the bottom fabric of wing.  On the alum tanks I might guess there is a threaded welded bung/bushing that a threaded 90 deg elbow screws into? I would think that takes up too much room to fit?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 18
ITman496
October 31, 2020, 12:52am Report to Moderator

Ace
My tank came with zero way to get fuel out of it, so I had to order my own bungs to weld in, which I'll do when I mount it.

I don't remember getting any kind of answer as to how to mount it either, so, I will figure it out on my own and post my findings  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 18
flydog
October 31, 2020, 8:44pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Dude, thats crazy. Unless they are universal regards to left/right tank. Drill on the side needed? Dont think so, I see on the TEAM website they do have a threaded bung.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 18
ITman496
November 2, 2020, 12:54pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Yeah, I saw that in the picture but what I got was just a doubler plate welded on a corner but not yet made with a bung, unfortunately.

I do have a tig welder, thankfully.  Also the tanks are not universal, the doubler plate is mirrored from one tank to the other.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 18
KGrenier
November 3, 2020, 2:53am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 12 hours 22 minutes
ITman, My aluminum tanks are the same as yours. There are no holes in the tank other than the filler necks. I wouldn't be surprised if they was not finished. I have had some quality control issues with TEAM MINIMAX. I had a landing gear leg that wasn't completely welded, windshield that didn't fit and a number of the RS stock was the wrong dimensions. Dave has resolved most of the issues. But they should not have happened in the first place.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 18
ITman496
November 4, 2020, 1:34am Report to Moderator

Ace
That doesn't impress me, but it does not surprise me either.  However, I wanted to do a threaded bung instead of the press in thing that the poly tanks use, so it does not bother me that much.  I do wish it had some mounting flanges welded on, however..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 18
KGrenier
November 4, 2020, 2:00pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
I've never had any problems with the rubber bushings in the poly tanks. It's kind of crude, but it works. I am not sure how they will work with the aluminum tanks. I think that having threaded bungs welded in is a better option. You can also get sealed fuel cell fittings from Summit Racing. They are a little pricey though. I would mount the Aluminum tank the same way the poly tanks are mounted. I don't know if I would trust welded on tabs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 18
ITman496
November 6, 2020, 5:11am Report to Moderator

Ace
How do the poly tanks mount in the wings?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 18
bob.hood
November 6, 2020, 9:03am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
I've attached the relevant wing diagram showing the way the tank is fitted in an 1100R wing.

Attachment: 1100_wing_tank_diagram_5949.jpg
Size: 436.70 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 18
bob.hood
November 6, 2020, 9:44am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Here are some photos I copied from different build threads on here, showing the process of turning the plans of how to fit a wing tank into reality. It's something I'd like to do on my 'max, but I have the light wing, which has the drag strut mounted higher, so I won't be able to do it.

Attachment: wing_tank_step_1_1115.jpg
Size: 70.31 KB

Attachment: wing_tank_step_2_1683.jpg
Size: 57.55 KB

Attachment: wing_tank_step_3a_6624.jpg
Size: 86.64 KB

Attachment: wing_tank_step_4_1806.jpg
Size: 83.86 KB

Attachment: wing_tank_step_5a_3588.jpg
Size: 75.28 KB

Attachment: wing_tank_step_6a_4348.jpg
Size: 71.93 KB

Attachment: wing_tank_step_7_2708.jpg
Size: 57.24 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 18
KGrenier
November 6, 2020, 1:28pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
This is how I mounted my tanks, Nylon straps and some screws.  Not saying that it is the best way to do it. The plane is twenty plus years old with no issues. At least with the aluminum tanks you don't have to worry about the tanks expanding like the poly tanks.

Attachment: img_20201106_081529_1426.jpg
Size: 332.65 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 18
ITman496
November 7, 2020, 7:49am Report to Moderator

Ace
Hmm, I did not consider that due to my 1030R having the lighter wing.. ish, there is still some confusion on that, that my tanks might not fit.  Hopefully I can move the first drag strut down if its in the way?  I do like the nylon straps!

Are these tanks mounted in such a way that they can be removed without the fabric being ruined?  I think I see in the plans that its being covered with a lexan plate?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 18
KGrenier
November 7, 2020, 12:53pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
bob.hood's post shows the changes that would be needed to the wing to accept the tank. In my post the lexan cover is in place. It's hard to see, but you can see the screws.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 18
ITman496
November 8, 2020, 9:21am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you all so much for this info.  It definitely has changed a path I was going to take with my build.  I'm eager to get started again, I just bought my first home (with detached 30x70 workshop, woo!) and now I truly have room to work on the plane.  Until recently all I had was a single garage bay, and had to roll it outside to work on it.  No more!  Now I can finally do the thing I've always wanted, put the front and back of the plane on a big rotating.. stand, thing, so I can roll it sideways to be able to finally reach inside and work on it without a step ladder.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 18
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment