Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Returning to the Buzzardry Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Returning to the Buzzardry  This thread currently has 486 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
tomshep
May 23, 2020, 7:19am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Those who remember last year's incident in which I had to land my aircraft in challenging conditions will be glad to know that the man who bought it not only fixed it but threw a load of money and knowhow at it. It now sports Tundra tyres and 76 litres of fuel tankage and he flies it all the time so it went to a very good home.

I bought an S6 whichI owned for a couple of days before the airfield suddenly closed and having nowhere to go, I had to sell it at a big loss and walked away from flying, rather dejected.

Since new year, I have fully restored two motorbikes and I find little satisfaction in doing so. I put one up for sale to make some space in the garage and Woman Belong Me asked what I would do next, having got rid of that stupid bike. I said that restoring bikes didn't stir my soul and I'd rather have an aeroplane. "Well get another 'plane then."
It would have to be a Max. I can afford one, I can fly it out of a trailer hangar and I have a local strip that has recently opened where I am welcome. One with a 503 had sold leaving on the market a good Himax with limited speed and range for a stiff but pretty fair sum, a cheap wreck that would require work or a 300 hour and extremely shabby and unattractive 1600R with streamlined struts, lowered engine, electric start and a summer canopy as well. It was cheap but more importantly, flyable.
A friend came up with a 20 foot trailer caravan, mine for the effort of moving it to turn into a hangar so that is next weekend's project.
The aircraft is 70 miles away but in our lockdown I can only go and pick it up with another member of the household but as she can neither drive nor fly, I will have to wait until I can get the car back too so there is a logistical issue. Sure, I could hire a trailer but I REALLY want to fly it to its new home!
I have to fly some hours to stay licensed and I plan to treat G-THEO like somebody else's aircraft until then and then over the winter do a refurb.
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
May 23, 2020, 12:15pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
It is amazing how tight a hold that aviation can have on someone that has the avocation in their blood stream. It is great that you are back in the game. Fly safe and have a great time. Blue sky and tail winds to you.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
Walkabout
May 23, 2020, 3:01pm Report to Moderator

Steve, AB-137
Ace
Time Online: 42 days 21 hours 24 minutes
Welcome back, Tom.  Be sure to show us before and after.

Envy the country that has heroes, pity the country that needs them...

http://www.jordanlakeaero.com
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
ITman496
May 23, 2020, 7:18pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
glad to see you back! I remember that thread..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
tomshep
May 29, 2020, 6:36pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes

If this comes out, here is the new aircraft. If not, use your imagination.
As per usual nothing. Posting pictures on this site is a particular peeve so I won't try any more.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
ITman496
June 1, 2020, 11:57pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
I usually nowadays try to host the image on imgur.com as an unlisted image and then image-link-location embed it in the post.  Works great, and no pesky attachment size limit issue forcing the picture to be the size of one from my cellphone in 2007.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
bob.hood
June 4, 2020, 4:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Tom,

I don't understand what the problem is with you posting pictures here. I found that if you select the button 'More Post Options' below the 'Quick Reply' box, a new 'Reply' page opens with two boxes in it, one above the other. In the upper box will be a non-editable representation of the text you've written so far (if any) and in the lower box an editable version of the text you've written so far.

1. Beneath the lower of the two text boxes look for the 'Attach File(s): line.
2. Next to it on the right you'll see a box with a button in it marked 'Browse' and the words 'No file selected'.
3. When you see this, click on the 'Browse' button to open a Windows File selection window.
4. With the window open, navigate to the drive, folder and file you want to upload and click the 'Open' button at the bottom of the window.
5. The window will now shut and you'll see the name of the file you selected next to the 'Browse' button. (I selected a file called 'Avatar pic.jpg) as an example
6. To the right of the box with the 'Browse' button in it you'll see another box with text in it that reads 'Attach (and add more)'
7. Click in that box and the file will be uploaded.
8. You'll know it's been uploaded because the name of the file will now appear directly below the box with the 'Browse' button in it.

You would hope that you'd be able to see the picture file by clicking on the 'Preview' button at the bottom of the 'Reply' page. However, this doesn't seem to be the case, and instead you have to click the 'Post' button in order to see the text you've written with the uploaded picture below it.

Try it yourself and let me know how you get on.

Attachment: avatar_pic_6632.jpg
Size: 20.03 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
Keith103
June 4, 2020, 6:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
There could be two differences between this forum and other applications in uploading a file:

The first is when your picture is above the 500 kb limit, you get really no ALERT / Caution messages from the message editor that the picture is NOT being attached because it is over the size LIMIT. A clear and EASY TO SEE caution message would have helped.

The second : In most other applications, we are used to working with just one button to choose/attach files/pictures. When you select a file from your folders / drives, it automatically gets uploaded / attached. In this forum, we have to click a second button named ATTACH, to upload the selected file. Possibly, some members who have issues, are not recognizing /doing this 2 step process.

Its not a big deal if you are aware that attaching a file here follows a slightly different protocol. Once you get the hang of it in ETLB, it is very simple basically.

Microsoft Office software ( 2010 and earlier versions ) used to have a picture editor which was very handy for downsizing pictures to lower resolution / size. I guess most late model smartphones may also have some rudimentary photo editor with which you can downsize the pictures to below 500 kb size.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
ScottLuckman
June 8, 2020, 8:44pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 21 days 15 hours 15 minutes
I think the real problem is file size! You have to make sure the file sizes are small< you cant upload a picture from your smartphone without resizing it first!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment