Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Off Topic  ›  Interesting engine for an ultralight!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Interesting engine for an ultralight!  This thread currently has 299 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
ITman496
May 21, 2020, 2:39am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
I saw this video with a 220CC V4 4 stroke engine for an rc plane.. but the builder says it has 25hp shaft output!  Imagine if it was a little bigger!  We could use it on our planes! And listen to that sound.  The whole plane's takeoff weight is about how much our engines weigh.  A v6 or bigger v4 of this engine.. would be incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xpi67OTBFo
Logged Offline
Private Message
PUFF
May 21, 2020, 12:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
according to the youtube thing, it's only 220CC. I agree, if the engine has 25HP with 220CC, then about 500 CC might be 50. I just wonder what that configuration would weigh?
Sounds like a Nascar going down the track!

Check out the landing gear too? interesting spring setup in the middle to help the aluminum spring gear.

Notice the wind in the Video! WOW
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
ITman496
May 21, 2020, 3:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
If that engine and entire plane weighs less then my engine and has 25hp, I say make a v8!  Imagine that sound!

Also yeah, I agree, that landing gear is very interesting. Whoever this german person is, they are very talented.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
tomshep
May 23, 2020, 6:20pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
TBO would be measured in minutes, unfortunately,
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
ITman496
May 24, 2020, 8:21pm Report to Moderator

Ace
As long as the number of minutes is in the high five digits, we should be fine  

In all reality, I was trying to figure out how they get so much horsepower from such a tiny engine, but in reality, it's not.. that crazy?  25hp from 220ccs is 113.6hp per liter.  That's at the high end, but there are many production sports cars that are naturally aspirated that meet and exceed that number, well into the 130's of hp/liter.  So..  It's not that crazy?  It's not like some kind of drag engine that has a life time measured in thousands of revolutions of the crank.  A lot of those sports cars are naturally aspirated Porsche 911s and Audis.. which I know can have very decent engine lifetimes.

In all likelihood, it probably just runs a very high compression ratio and has really good airflow in the inner workings.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
beragoobruce
June 4, 2020, 11:01pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Or motorbike engines. My Honda VFR put out 100h.p from 750cc. And it did it reliably for 60,000 miles. But it did need to rev to 12,000 to make the h.p. You'd need a hell of a reduction gear!

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
ITman496
June 5, 2020, 2:20am Report to Moderator

Ace
Imagine the glorious sound an ultralight at 12k rpm would make!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Off Topic  ›  Interesting engine for an ultralight!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment