Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Wing Tank Usable Fuel Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Wing Tank Usable Fuel  This thread currently has 804 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BlueMax
May 13, 2020, 4:55pm Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Does anyone hsve the numbers for usable fuel in the 5 gallon wing tanks? Curious at 15-20deg pitch down how low the fuel level can get before the pickups are uncovered.

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
joe.scalet
May 13, 2020, 8:43pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
Depends on how you plumb them. You should have a header tank that will fill from the wing tanks and keep things running in the event the fuel pickup is unported. You can also have multiple fuel pick up points in each tank. One forward and one aft. if you are skidding or slipping, one tank will still be filling the header tank. The header tank can be one or two gallons with a central sump or flop tube for pickup. Usable fuel will depend on your installation (dihedral, angle of attack, pickup location, etc.).
Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 29
joe.scalet
May 13, 2020, 8:43pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Depends on how you plumb them. You should have a header tank that will fill from the wing tanks and keep things running in the event the fuel pickup is unported. You can also have multiple fuel pick up points in each tank. One forward and one aft. if you are skidding or slipping, one tank will still be filling the header tank. The header tank can be one or two gallons with a central sump or flop tube for pickup. Usable fuel will depend on your installation (dihedral, angle of attack, pickup location, etc.).
Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 29
James Z.
May 15, 2020, 1:38pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 18 hours 7 minutes
A few years ago I made a study of usable fuel difference between the plastic 5 gal and 7 gal tanks at different pitch angles. I dug up the summary sheet (attached), but I can't find the backup work.

My (personal) conclusion was the 7 gal tank wasn't necessarily very efficient for useful fuel capacity because it tended to collect an enormous amount of fuel up front in the pitch down position. As Joe mentioned there are plumbing solutions that would resolve that.     Jim

Attachment: airbike__usable_fuel_calculation_9515.pdf
47 downloads   -   Size: 48.66 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 29
Keith103
May 15, 2020, 3:35pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
There may be some relevant content here:

http://www.aviation-history.com/theory/angle_of_attack.htm
Private Message Reply: 4 - 29
joe.scalet
May 15, 2020, 6:47pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
True, but AOA is a good visual reference if you are lacking an attitude indicator, as most ultralights do.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 29
Keith103
May 15, 2020, 8:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
There are some variables in this scenario. You may be doing a glide approach with power at idle and a flight path tilted at 6 degree down, or a partial engine assisted approach with flight path at 3 or 4 deg down, but your wing tank may actually be level (or may only be tilted nose down by 1 degree,) due to the positive incidence and also a positive angle of attack. I think for most phases of flight except for final approach, the wing tank is tilted a few degrees nose up.
Just thinking out loud. I could be wrong.
Private Message Reply: 6 - 29
joe.scalet
May 18, 2020, 4:00pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Theory goes into the slipstream when the engine quits due to fuel starvation~ Be conservative in your design of the fuel system.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 29
Keith103
May 18, 2020, 9:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Joe, I was just trying to figure out where the pickup / outlet should be located. Your suggestion to have two separate pickups, one at the front and one at the back would be most ideal. But if I were to have only one outlet, then where should that be located?

If you are fabricating your own tank, an angled bottom with a single pick up at the lowest point would be ideal as in :

https://i1.wp.com/www.generalaviationnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/WAG_Taylorcraft_1546.jpg

Private Message Reply: 8 - 29
ITman496
May 18, 2020, 10:51pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Do you know what I can use for a pickup that has a 5/16 barb on the TEAM fuel tanks? I see they made a little doubler plate in the back corner to receive fuel..  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 29
BlueMax
July 2, 2020, 4:36pm Report to Moderator

Ace
When using dual outlets on a tank, does one have to worry about the fuel pump sucking air if 1 outlet is uncovered?

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 29
flydog
July 2, 2020, 8:45pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Yes with a fuel pump!
No fuel pump, no problem.
Have you checked your fuel flow rate without the pumps? Maybe you can loose that failure point and save weight.
https://www.kitplanes.com/light-aircraft-fuel-system-design-3/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 29
Stilson
July 6, 2020, 4:20am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
A small Gallon or two header tank that  gravity feeds to the engine, an overflow line from it back to the main tank, and the pump constantly overflowing it, just my two cents
Private Message Reply: 12 - 29
Keith103
July 6, 2020, 5:01pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Many ultralights have no Facet pump.
The pulse pump does the fuel feed.

I have a different issue altogether.
My CG is at 12 inches back from Leading edge.
I had to add almost 6.25 lbs of weight inside the
rear fuselage, under the stabilizer.
This moved the CG back by just 1 inch to 13 inches.
Can't afford to add any more weight.

I would still like the CG to move back by one more inch to at least 14 ".
I have a 5 gal poly tank inside the forward fuselage.
Not sure if this is what is called a header tank.

I am thinking of adding a small 1.5 gal tank behind my seat.
Unfortunately it can only be fitted inside the turtle deck
at my neck / head level.  (Already ordered a small tank.)

The plan is to fill forward main tank with no more than 2 or 2.5 gal.
1.5 gal fuel is available in auxiliary tank.

I was thinking of adding a facet pump.
But on second thought, I felt it may not really be
necessary. The pulse pump should do its job.

I am doing all this by trial and error.
Has any other builder tried to solve CG issue by
dispersing fuel to the back ?

https://www.wish.com/product/5.....l=true&share=web

Attachment: auxiliary_fuel_tank_connections_2937.jpg
47 downloads   -   Size: 77.26 KB

Private Message Reply: 13 - 29
PUFF
July 7, 2020, 11:17am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
why not add a battery in the back, instead of doing all this? I had the opposite issue, so added a battery up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 29
radfordc
July 7, 2020, 1:40pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from Keith103

I am thinking of adding a small 1.5 gal tank behind my seat.
Unfortunately it can only be fitted inside the turtle deck
at my neck / head level.  (Already ordered a small tank.)

The plan is to fill forward main tank with no more than 2 or 2.5 gal.
1.5 gal fuel is available in auxiliary tank.

https://www.wish.com/product/5.....l=true&share=web

Your plan is certainly feasible but it does introduce a potential problem.  You have to be very aware of the fuel level in the front tank so that when you are running it "low" you don't run it "empty".  You say that you would never do such a thing....well, if you do you won't be the first pilot to accidentally run a tank dry.  Managing the switching of tank valves has been a factor in many accidents.

BTW, how far will the CG move aft with 9 lbs of fuel behind you?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 29
Stilson
July 7, 2020, 9:42pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Replace the weight you installed in the tail with an atv battery (the same weight pretty much), and install a facet pump from the front tank to the back tank with the back tank overflow routed to the front tank. The front tank will run empty first and you can use all of it and not have to worry about switching valves.  Have two little posts to hook up a battery tender to charge up while it's parked.  An atv battery should be able to empty a few tank fulls.🤷🏻‍♂️
Private Message Reply: 16 - 29
beragoobruce
July 8, 2020, 5:13am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
You do need to be a bit wary of using fuel as ballast, because it means your c.g. changes during flight. This is not ideal, and could catch you out.

A better idea is a big battery in the tail, as has been suggested. At least the weight is doing something useful!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 29
bob.hood
July 8, 2020, 10:30am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Just a suggestion,

but perhaps you could fit your 'header' tank low and somewhere that's CG neutral or aft of CG, and then drain your main tank into it. You wouldn't need to worry about having to switch tanks as the 'header' tank will be the one the engine gets its fuel from. That's the setup I have on my Max, where I have the standard tank, and an 11 ltr tank bolted under the fuselage just under the seat. I've attached a diagram showing the approximate location of the tankage, and a couple of photos of the tank in place.

Attachment: minimax_fuel_system_current_2753.jpg
47 downloads   -   Size: 64.11 KB

Attachment: belly_tank_back_small_2688.jpg
47 downloads   -   Size: 179.80 KB

Attachment: belly_tank_front_small_7083.jpg
47 downloads   -   Size: 235.37 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 29
bob.hood
July 8, 2020, 2:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Hello again,

Regarding adding extra tankage, you could always do what I've seen done on a Fisher 404, where the builder/owner fitted it with a bomb shaped tank between the undercarriage legs. I've attached a photo of it so you can see how it's been fitted.

I've also added a couple of photos of a tank that can be used either under the fuselage, or one under each wing.

Aircraft Spruce sell them for $135, and here's a link to their ad on their website.  

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/ultralighttank05-12347.php?clickkey=7861

Attachment: fisher_404_drop_tank_7623.jpg
47 downloads   -   Size: 76.40 KB

Attachment: underwing_tank_4115.jpg
47 downloads   -   Size: 4.10 KB

Attachment: underwing_tanks_in_use_5697.jpg
47 downloads   -   Size: 7.85 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 29
BlueMax
July 8, 2020, 6:44pm Report to Moderator

Ace
So basically what I am considering doing at this point is placing a small 1 or 1.5gal tank behind the seat that the wing tanks will gravity feed into and then pumping from there. The only issue I foresee is currently the low point in my fuel system is the gascolator at the bottom of the firewall and placing a new tank behind the seat makes that tank then the lowest point. Currently, gravity pressure from the wing tanks keeps the gascolator full whereas with the header tank below the seat the system will be relying on the engine driven diaphragm pump to keep the gascolator filled and the air out.

am I just overthinking the whole thing?

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 29
bob.hood
July 10, 2020, 5:06pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Bluemax,

Water can be sucked up 33ft by vacuum alone, and petrol is only 0.7 as heavy as water, so in theory a vacuum pump could lift it around 40ft or so. As such I'm sure that lifting the fuel for your 'max around 30 inches won't be too hard for the engine driven vacuum pump. By the way, I don't think you're overthinking it, you need to take into consideration all possibilities when designing a reliable fuelling system.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 29
mullacharjak
July 17, 2020, 6:57am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

One day on a long cross country in the RANS S6 one wing tank got completely dry.That was scary as there was no seperate on/off for the individual tanks.Nothing happened though.The engine kept running on the Right wing tank.Still wondering why the engine did not quit.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 29
Antoni
July 17, 2020, 5:41pm Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
An S6's wing tanks are above the engine and pump. There would be gravity fuel along with sucked air.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 29
The Termite
July 24, 2020, 10:04am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
I use the "football"  wing strut tanks on my Quad City CH-I. I ran fuel line inside the strut tube fairings to a manifold on the floor under my legs.  I can select either or both tanks. The "thumper" pump has no problem sucking the fuel to the carbs, but I installed a Facet pump inline for backup.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 29
TreeTopsTom
July 24, 2020, 9:33pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 26 days 13 hours 37 minutes
An "in-line' Facet pump for backup!
Now THAT'S a statement sure to open a can-o-worms on this suspiciously
quite site.  
Hope everyone is keeping clear of the CHINA FLUE/KUNG FLU/ WOO HAN BACK HAND FLU.   That's right....I said it!!!!   LOL
Private Message Reply: 25 - 29
bob.hood
July 25, 2020, 1:07pm Report to Moderator

Ace

"CHINA FLUE/KUNG FLU/ WOO HAN BACK HAND FLU"

Brilliant!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 29
The Termite
July 26, 2020, 3:02pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Don't forget  "Beer Flu"...................(Corona)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 29
Stilson
July 26, 2020, 10:56pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
It hit where I work a couple months ago, but it's food processing so we couldn't shut down. Out of 138 people, by the time we were finally able to get tested after the first person was hospitalized, well after many people were falling sick, 43 tested positive (many of the early ones sick had recovered by that point). In the end out of them all, 6 were hospitalized, two in intensive care and intubated.  One of them was in his early sixties with diabetes, still in the hospital and will be on oxygen for life, the other one is 33 with no previous medical problems spend 6 weeks in a coma, then extensive physical therapy to be able to walk again because his muscles had atrophied while he was in the coma. He got released on July 3rd, and when I talked to him on the phone Friday he was excited he was able to walk 80 feet that morning before having to catch his breath, will probably be disabled for life.  
Private Message Reply: 28 - 29
PUFF
July 27, 2020, 11:16am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Yeah, we lost one to it. Food Processing as well. We've managed to keep it slowed down, but I'm sure it will get to us all before its over.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 29
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment