Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  best steps to follow to achieve wing install Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

best steps to follow to achieve wing install  This thread currently has 168 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
April 28, 2020, 9:40pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I’m getting close to the end of the process on my Max build and when completed I will take all parts out of my basement and put the pieces together to form a whole plane!  Then I intend to spend a fair amount of time trying to fine tune the assemble and disassemble processes in order to get the time down to the smallest amount I can.  It seems to me the install process has to somewhat resemble these steps:

1. Place a holding device in position beside the fuselage at approximately the half way point on where the wing will be going
2. Place a holding device in position under the tail to get the fuselage quite level
3. Bring over the first wing and place it on the wing holding device, and at this point I intend to have the two pieces which comprise the strut assemble, already attached to the wing
4. Go to the fuselage and coax the two(four) spar bars into their respective holes in the side
5. Go to the end of the wing and push firmly to get the bars fully inserted into the fuselage
6. If comfortable that the bars are in as far as they need to be, go to the other side of the fuselage and reach into the cockpit and get a pin installed in the front and back
7. Go to the wing mid point again and while on the ground, lift up the wing enough to enable the inserting of the bolt into the axle/strut connection point
8. While there, connect the telex cable to the aileron arm
9. Move the wing holding device to the correct location for the other wing
10. Bring that wing over, push the bars into their holes as with the first wing
11. Now that the first wing is in the way, it seems as if it will be necessary to perhaps get into the plane and sit in the seat and put the front pin in, I’m not sure how it will work out for the rear pin
12. Once both pins in, do number seven above for this wing

So it seems to me the difficult points are going to be getting the pins inserted and figuring out where to stand/sit or whatever, to get the second rear pin installed

Any and all comments will be appreciated in terms of helpful hints, or things I have wrong, or whatever.

As always, thanks for your time

Kim Brown
Logged Offline
Private Message
ulbuilder
June 26, 2020, 11:55pm Report to Moderator
N349LE
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 20 hours 59 minutes
I built wing racks that hold the wings and can be adjusted for angle to line everything up.
https://youtu.be/kG8m6Gb0slI

Before I had the wing racks I used two saw horses and an assistant.
Place wing in saw horses next to fuselage.
Assistant picks up wing at tip, I pick it up at the root.
Slide attachments into fuselage, install pins/bolts in the root attachments.
Assistant can lower or raise the tip to help align things.
Attach struts to axle
Attach struts to wing

I always installed the right wing first so I could easily reach the root attachments points from the left side.
When installing the left wing I could reach the attachment points from the left side, if you are short might need a step stool to reach the rear one.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  best steps to follow to achieve wing install

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment