Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  What varnish do you use for your minimax? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

What varnish do you use for your minimax?  This thread currently has 931 views. Print
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
radfordc
April 22, 2020, 5:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from toliver66

Nope, Just comparing the cost of covering a Piper Cub to covering a MiniMax is just utterly ridiculous. No matter what covering system you use. And $1200 to cover an Airbike??? What, you use paint laced with gold? Cover it twice?

I didn't compare the cost of a Piper Cub to a Minimax...I quoted the Superflite FAQ that said what it costs to cover a Cub.  A Minimax is certainly less...but you knew that, right?

I purchased the Airbike covering and painting kit from TEAM that included all the stuff from Superflite.  All fabric, tapes, glue, varnish, paints, thinners, etc.  The cost was over $1000 as I recall.  That's just what I paid, sorry it offends you.  The total cost of my Airbike when finished was over $11,000.  Seems like a lot, but there you go.

But, of course all this is just "misinformation".
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 30 - 44
toliver66
April 23, 2020, 4:03pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 7 hours 3 minutes
Quoted Text
I didn't compare the cost of a Piper Cub to a Minimax...

Uhh... Yeah ya did:

Quoted from radfordc

From the Superflight FAQ page:  
How much can I expect to spend on Superflite covering materials for my plane?
Depending on the color of paint that you choose, for a Cub-sized airplane, you can expect to spend anywhere from $4000-$4500. That includes everything you need from fabric to finish.

https://superflite.com/pages/faq

When I covered my Airbike in 1997 I used the Superflight System.  Only had to cover wings and tail.  Total cost was about $1200 as I recall.

You paid way to much... You should shop around, but I guess you got more money than you have good sense.

Quoted Text
But, of course all this is just "misinformation".

Glad you agree.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 31 - 44
flydog
April 23, 2020, 9:55pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
No he did not. Perfectly clear to me.
Jesus, 2 pages of what varnish to use? You all getting a little crazy in the Corona shut down thing?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 32 - 44
toliver66
April 23, 2020, 10:16pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from flydog
No he did not. Perfectly clear to me.
Jesus, 2 pages of what varnish to use? You all getting a little crazy in the Corona shut down thing?

WOW, do I really need to explain it to you? Lets see here, first of all, this is a forum Focused on miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike. Second, this is a thread about varnishing a MiniMax. Third, he made the comparison in direct response My comment on the cost of materials to cover a minimax. Thus insinuating It would cost as much to cover a Minimax as a Cub. Sooo Yes... he did. Otherwise, what's the point in making the comparison in the first place.

Obviously we have nothing better to do than argue over varnish and the cost of covering supplies.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 33 - 44
RedBird
April 24, 2020, 12:38am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from toliver66

"Get your facts straight dude..."
"...comparing the cost of covering a Piper Cub to covering a MiniMax is just utterly ridiculous...."
"WOW, do I really need to explain it to you? Lets see here,..."

Just my .02; but beginning posts as above sounds antagonistic to me. I don't understand the purpose. It does not improve the quality of the information therein, nor the quality of the conversations.

Several participants in this thread have been on this board for over a decade, some nearly a decade and a half. They are experienced builders and flyers of max aircraft, and have shared a ton of quality information with others over the years, managing to have dozens, if not hundreds of discussions without offending or belittling others or their posts.

I can't speak for others; but I for one, would appreciate it if someone relatively new to the board (six months?) would make an effort to maintain the same respectful tone that has typified this forum for many years. Nobody enjoys reading posts that implicitly or explicitly ridicule other members or their ideas. It really is not that difficult to offer alternative ideas or perspectives, without insulting other members.

Just one guys perspective.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 34 - 44
Dick Rake
April 24, 2020, 2:36am Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Good post RedBird!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 35 - 44
ITman496
April 24, 2020, 4:39am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
I'm sorry to have stirred up such a controversy!  I just wanted to see if there were any cheaper varieties of two part varnish  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 36 - 44
Phil
April 24, 2020, 5:50am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 4 hours 23 minutes
Quoted from ITman496
I'm sorry to have stirred up such a controversy!  I just wanted to see if there were any cheaper varieties of two part varnish  

You mentioned cheaper two part vanish? Well, I used the cheapest!
Two coats is enough on this $6 per liter with catalyst and you still have the world's
most durable wood finish. Think about it, I have no issue or whatsoever
using this variety. Oh yes, before I forgot its floor vanish.
Hope this will helped.

Phil

Attachment: fb_img_15877066172122022_192.jpg
Size: 412.78 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 37 - 44
Phil
April 24, 2020, 5:58am Report to Moderator

Ace
7 years before. Water base primer mixed with aluminum power on black pegmented acrylic.
Ecobond on fabric. It was $100 material total cost on paints to final coats.

Attachment: fb_img_15877072114032304_1641.jpg
Size: 189.94 KB

Attachment: fb_img_15877071595395939_611.jpg
Size: 151.13 KB

Attachment: fb_img_15877058839937614_3762.jpg
Size: 140.79 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 38 - 44
ITman496
April 24, 2020, 6:23am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Oh wow! So you had no issues with that varnish with an MEK/Acetone based cement?  Perfectly strong and great?

That paint job looks fantastic by the way! I love the red!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 39 - 44
aeronut
April 25, 2020, 1:22am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Thanks for the post Phil, hope to see a flying video of your bird soon.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 40 - 44
Phil
April 25, 2020, 2:19am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from aeronut
Thanks for the post Phil, hope to see a flying video of your bird soon.

You are welcome.
Can't wait, but our local airport closed due total lockdown on our area.
Meantime, I put the engine into storaged after break in. I just hope it won't take too long.
You know the feeling right?
Excitement!😀

Phil

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 41 - 44
Bob Hoskins
April 28, 2020, 1:01am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Ataboy redbird.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 42 - 44
cdlwingnut
April 29, 2020, 4:04pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
Well I for one enjoy hearing all the different ways everyone has done things on their build. for one it helps me make a more educated decision on what to use on my build, and two i like hearing all from the people who used nothing but stika spruce, certified glue, two part epoxy for finish and certified fabric to the Lowes lumber yard wood and minwax with house paint. I find nothing wrong with either or or anything in between.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 43 - 44
toliver66
April 29, 2020, 4:53pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Ataboy cdlwingnut.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 44 - 44
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  What varnish do you use for your minimax?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment