Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  eros wing spar bottom reinforcement - RS9 vs RS8 Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

eros wing spar bottom reinforcement - RS9 vs RS8  This thread currently has 176 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
RedBird
April 13, 2020, 3:05am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Looking at DWG #17 of the EROS plans (wing spar construction) I notice the upper struct attachment reinforcement is RS9 but the lower reinforcement is RS8 for both front and rear spars. I assume this is a design decision based on loads (Gs?, landing?) limitations/expectations. (e.g. 1100 plans have only upper reinforcements on rear spar) One ramification of this is that the RS9 diagonals require notching at the end for gussets to fit appropriately. My question is, hypothetically, other than very small weight difference and need to shorten verticals in that section, as well as make the RS23 filler in rear 1 1/8 width instead of 1 1/4), what would be ramification of just using RS9 for both upper and lower reinforcements? Gussets would lay flat without notching. Am I missing something else that would be impacted?

I realize notching the diagonals is not really a big deal. Just curious if there are other reasons beside my assumptions about loads on upper vs lower attachment points that design decision was to use different stock for upper vs. lower reinforcements.

Again, not a biggie. Just trying to learn more.  Thanks!

Tony

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bob Daly
April 13, 2020, 5:59pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
If you're talking about spar cap doublers, they increase the local bending strength.  The lower cap needs less because the negative g load requirement is less.  By going to RS9 you would be increasing the negative g loading allowed.  The doubler has nothing to do with the strength of the strut attachment.  Its proximity to the strut attachment is only because wing bending stress is at a maximum there.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
mullacharjak
April 13, 2020, 6:09pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

To explain the rear spar doubler at the rear spar of the 1100 mentioned in the above post Bob once said it was to strengthen the area in a steep dive at high speed with full aileron deflection.I hope I remember correctly.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
RedBird
April 13, 2020, 6:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from Bob Daly
If you're talking about spar cap doublers, they increase the local bending strength.  The lower cap needs less because the negative g load requirement is less.  By going to RS9 you would be increasing the negative g loading allowed.  The doubler has nothing to do with the strength of the strut attachment.  Its proximity to the strut attachment is only because wing bending stress is at a maximum there.

Thank you Bob. I was hoping you would reply. That makes good sense. My first guess was g load, second guess was strut attachment... But, in both cases I was guessing. Thanks again.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Bob Daly
April 13, 2020, 8:03pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Quoted from mullacharjak

To explain the rear spar doubler at the rear spar of the 1100 mentioned in the above post Bob once said it was to strengthen the area in a steep dive at high speed with full aileron deflection.I hope I remember correctly.

The design case for the rear spar is VD and 2/3rds of the positive load factor or 2.93 g with 1/3 aileron deflection.  Aileron deflection increases the lift and moment coefficients of the rising wing so along with the high dynamic pressure at VD wing torsion is highest and bending of the rear spar is highest.  Obviously this is also the design case for the rear strut.

Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  eros wing spar bottom reinforcement - RS9 vs RS8

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment