Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  how to install spar connecting pins Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

how to install spar connecting pins  This thread currently has 693 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
April 13, 2020, 1:58am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
I am on the home stretch with my flat top Max and only have to get struts completed, all else done through paint.  A question came to mind concerning the wing attach sequencing now that I have a better idea how the wing install pin insertions happen.  Seems to me the first wing won't be bad as you can stand just outside the fuselage on the side with no wing installed yet.  The second wing pin installation seems like it is much more challenging, how are most of you doing it?  And what tips and tricks have you figured out for the basic wing install when you are alone?  I have seen photos on this site of various pvc stands to hold one end of the wing enabling perhaps a single person installation, still seems to me one might need to do some wing wiggling both sideways and/or up and down to get an easy pin insertion.  And generally, are you folks getting the axle to strut bolt in first and then going to the pin insertion?  If anyone wanted to take the time to completely itemize the sequence or chain of events as they have seen them in their installations, that would be great.  My hope all along has been to be able to install and uninstall wings for each use, then plane stored in trailer.  in order for this to make any sense, the complete process needs to be maximized for efficiency and ease.  Some have indicated here that they do this regularly, with times of twenty minutes or so on each end of the flight time, which is a period I would consider acceptable.  Any and all comments are appreciated, thanks.
Kim Brown
Logged Offline
Private Message
Greg Doe
April 13, 2020, 3:59am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Kim, I always have a helper, but they don't have to have any special training. They just hold the wing tip. Also I use bolts for the front attachment, and not a pin. The struts are already attached to the axle, and are laying on the ground. We pick up the right wing, insert the straps into the fuselage, install the front bolt, and the rear pin. Then I get on the ground under the wing, and  attach the front strut, and then the rear strut. Next we plug in the left wing. I can reach over the leading edge, and by feel, install the front bolt. I then go around to the trailing edge, and install the rear pin. This is followed by the strut attachment. I climb in the cockpit, and secure nylock nuts on the bolts, and my own design safety straps on the rear pins, and hook up the airspeed pitot line. Finally, I hook up the aileron bell-cranks to the Tellaflex cables.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
kfb
April 13, 2020, 9:30pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi, and thanks.  I thought I was putting that post in general discussion rather than for sale, oh well, probably better in both, ETLB has a lot of knowledge in its people and I'm just doing my best to tap into that knowledge.
Kim Brown
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment