Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Hi there! CNC/dxf files? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Hi there! CNC/dxf files?  This thread currently has 392 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Woody97038
March 31, 2020, 5:14pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 17 minutes
New member here. Thanks Alan for getting me set up with an account.

I have been thinking about building an ultralight for years.  I am a retired carpenter with over 40yrs experience with a well set up wood shop and what attracted me the Mini-Max brand it the fact that it's built from wood. A couple of years ago, I built a CNC router and I would like to cut as much of the parts  as possible on my CNC. Are there any plans available in .dxf format? I'm not even sure which model, yet. Probably the 1100R.
Thanks!
Don
Logged Offline
Private Message
toliver66
April 1, 2020, 1:55am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 7 hours 3 minutes
No cad files that I am aware of. I've drawn up a few parts in Adobe Inventor just to test the fit but thats all. A Minimax is mostly stick built. The only parts you could really cut on CNC would be the wing rib gussets.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
ITman496
April 1, 2020, 2:36am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Though part of me would really love to design a plane that was made out of cnc/laser cut plywood almost entirely..  Just assemble like a puzzle!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
dennisatyson
April 1, 2020, 3:10am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 13 hours 32 minutes
Hey Don,
I just started an 1100R and I had all of the gussets fit wing ribs, tail feathers, and ailerons laser cut by a friend of mine. I’m happy to share the dxf files with you. PM me with your email.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
Tom
April 1, 2020, 12:36pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
For ITman 496:

I'm glad to see someone is thinking the same way I am.  I would love to design some aircraft of CNC cut plywood and epoxy.  I've got a lot of expertise with wood and epoxy advanced structures and I also know and teach how to do developed surfaces in plywood which allows you to create surfaces which are more rounded than you would think possible even though you are using sheet materials that at any given point are only bending in one direction.  An advantage of developed surfaces is that they can be made much stiffer, and therefore built much lighter, than a piece of plywood which bends only in the longitudinal direction.

Put the whole thing together with filled epoxy fillets taped over with very light glass or carbon tape and then the plywood sealed with epoxy and you have an extremely rigid light structure.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
toliver66
April 1, 2020, 4:59pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 7 hours 3 minutes
Interesting concept. What are you waiting for, get busy designing! Just watch a Pilot RC factory tour video on youtube to see some advanced ply construction. Of course, these are just models, although very large models, I'm sure some of the same principles apply.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
ITman496
April 1, 2020, 8:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I'm gonna need a bigger laser cutter... haha!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
radfordc
April 2, 2020, 1:50pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
gangeli
October 25, 2021, 5:36am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
I am building a MiniMax 1600R Sport. In the process I am making a 3D CAD model and I find it very helpful for my build.  There are many parts that could be CNC cut, unfortunately I do not have a CNC cutter, but I am always printing templates to help me cut my gussets, nose ribs, leading edge nose rib and much more.  My 3D model is not complete yet, but I would be happy to share it once I finish it.  Screenshot attached.

Attachment: minimax_cadmodel_2195.jpg
Size: 116.14 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
ITman496
October 28, 2021, 12:11am Report to Moderator

Ace
that looks incredible and I am very interested in those files!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment