Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Cables for elevator actuation Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Cables for elevator actuation  This thread currently has 592 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Keith103
March 18, 2020, 5:46am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Since we already use cables to actuate the rudder, I was wondering why not use a cable system for elevators too ?  ..  Is it very difficult to set this up ??

Attachment: elevator_cable_system_4643.jpg
Size: 27.59 KB

Private Message
bob.hood
March 18, 2020, 10:38am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 4 days 18 hours 40 minutes
Keith1100,

I have two 3 axis planes, one is my Minimax, and the other is a Spectrum. My Spectrum has a similar set up for the elevators to your diagram. It looks like this;

Attachment: spectrum_elevator_cables_4232.jpg
Size: 31.18 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 18
bob.hood
March 18, 2020, 10:48am Report to Moderator

Ace
As you can see, it has two cables going aft to a pivoted lever arm at the tail, that then has a solid aluminium rod going back to the single elevator horn.

The system works quite well, and is not particularly heavy, and allows removal and replacement of either cable without having to dismantle the whole tail end of the plane. Furthermore, the Spectrum has a ladder type fuselage, so all the cables are exposed, and it allows me to examine and lubricate all the cables on a regular basis.

Obviously in a Minimax the rear lever arm would be in the fuselage, so the cables would be kept out of the weather and only the solid rod would exit the rear of the fuselage to go to the elevator horn. Also, in a Minimax the control stick pivot is at the base, so the 'up' elevator cable (orange in your diagram, yellow in mine) would need to be routed as you've shown in your diagram, but other than that, I think it would be quite simple to modify the 'max to use separate cables. After all, the tail wheel uses just such a system, with a pivoting arm in the fuselage and a single rod to the wheel assembly.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 18
bob.hood
March 18, 2020, 10:53am Report to Moderator

Ace
Just so you can see what I mean about the Spectrum, here's a picture of it with me at the controls just after I'd landed at a fly-in last year. In the photo you can clearly see the solid rod going from the lever arm to the single elevator horn.

Attachment: boxted_landing_8337.jpg
Size: 44.04 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 18
Antoni
March 18, 2020, 1:03pm Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
When I use cable operated control surfaces I get distracted by the difference from the MiniMax and it takes me a while to ignore just how much better cables are.

On the other hand Teleflex is very simple, and when flying the MiniMax I never think about the bit of stiction in the stick. I just imagine what I want  - and the MiniMax does it.

If you decide to go for cable control bear in mind that if something goes wrong - maybe a 'Spaniard in the Works' it should not break even if you use your whole strength on the stick. That would take some thought when designing such a control system.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 18
beragoobruce
March 18, 2020, 9:01pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Or you could do this:

Attachment: max_pushrod_elevator_4739.jpg
Size: 154.98 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 18
Keith103
March 19, 2020, 4:29am Report to Moderator

Ace
Bob , thanks for your response and the pictures.

Personally I trust the teleflex cable ( even a single cable, without a back-up ).
My cable is still almost new and I expect it to give many years of service.

However, the challenge arises when you have an old teleflex cable and you are not sure if that old cable is good enough or not. How do you inspect it ?

I found it very easy to rig my rudder cables, and that is what led me to probe further about using the similar cables for elevator.  Using these cables may also turn out to be a tad lighter than using a teleflex cable.

The downside I visualize is -  something getting entangled in the cables leading to a stuck elevator. But that could happen presently for the rudder cables too.

Routing the cable in the cockpit may also present a bit of a challenge, but still do-able.

Private Message Reply: 6 - 18
Tom
March 19, 2020, 12:36pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Remember the Teleflex type cables cost between $95 and $155 from TEAM.  If, on inspection, a cable doesn't look absolutely perfect, the benefit in peace of mind measured against the cost would seem to favor just replacing the cable.  Just a thought.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 18
bob.hood
March 19, 2020, 1:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
As Tom said, being able to see each cable along its length just like the rudder cables, makes it much easier to see if there is any corrosion. Also, if you do need to replace a cable they will be easy to replace, just keep a spare of each (1 x up and 1 x down) for just such an occasion. You could even keep them in a bag under the seat if you wanted to, so that you'd have instant and easy access to them if needed. Galvanised cable is cheap to buy (in comparison with a teleflex), easy to cut and fit ends to, and you can easily adjust the cable length if you need to in order to make life easier for any trimming you need to do.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 18
TreeTopsTom
March 25, 2020, 4:14am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 26 days 13 hours 37 minutes
I think the cable idea is a great alternative IF DESIGNED CORRECTLY.
Inspectability being top of the list why. cost & ease of R&R probably second.
Not having small pieces of plastic tube & clamps on the ends of the teleflex because.....That's just the frosting on the cake!
Hey Bruce, Did the cable idea ever come to mind when you were designing your impressive system?
Would have loved to see how you would have designed it with cables.                                              TTT
Private Message Reply: 9 - 18
toliver66
April 4, 2020, 4:42am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 7 hours 3 minutes
Surly someone has implemented a cable control system for a Minimax at sometime or another. the control system from the Legal Eagle would be easy to adapt.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 18
Keith103
April 4, 2020, 7:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from toliver66
The control system from the Legal Eagle would be easy to adapt.

True, the stick on the Legal Eagle as well as in the picture Bob Hood provided above are pivoted slightly different to the Max. But surely adaptable.

Attachment: le_control_stick__copy_9090.jpg
Size: 162.23 KB

Private Message Reply: 11 - 18
toliver66
April 4, 2020, 9:30pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Agreed. The elevator would be relatively simple to rig. The ailerons would be the real challenge. Perhaps something similar to the Affordaplane aileron rig?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 18
toliver66
April 5, 2020, 4:06am Report to Moderator
Ace
A rugh elevator control system design.

Attachment: assembly2_6782.jpg
Size: 102.66 KB

Attachment: pic_2_2319.jpg
Size: 111.68 KB

Attachment: pic_3_7731.jpg
Size: 81.64 KB

Attachment: pic_4_9855.jpg
Size: 135.38 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 18
toliver66
April 7, 2020, 6:03am Report to Moderator
Ace
Possible Legal Eagle adaptation.

Attachment: yoke_1_7223.jpg
Size: 90.87 KB

Attachment: control_yoke_9715.jpg
Size: 121.94 KB

Attachment: control_yoke_5_8448.jpg
Size: 97.26 KB

Attachment: control_yoke_4_7798.jpg
Size: 69.29 KB

Attachment: control_yoke_3_2821.jpg
Size: 71.89 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 18
toliver66
April 7, 2020, 6:15am Report to Moderator
Ace
I didn't realize I had the floorboard in the wrong place until I had already posted the pics.

Attachment: control_yoke_6_6370.jpg
Size: 112.13 KB

Attachment: control_yoke_7_6216.jpg
Size: 164.52 KB

Attachment: control_yoke_8_5171.jpg
Size: 153.21 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 18
ITman496
April 7, 2020, 6:23am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Wow, that looks incredible! Your model of a max is way more complete then my own.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 18
Keith103
April 10, 2020, 2:14am Report to Moderator

Ace
Yes, that is a nice set up.

Attachment of the cable to the stick needs to be at a height
which moves the cable just enough, so as to mimic the elevator deflection
which the present teleflex cable generates.

If attached too low on the stick, we may need to move the stick by
a larger degree to achieve comparable elevator deflection.

We can refine that by trial and error.

Private Message Reply: 17 - 18
toliver66
April 10, 2020, 3:59am Report to Moderator
Ace
Thanks ITman496. I use Adobe Invener pro.

I drew it so the cable will attach to the stick in the same hole as the teleflex cable. That will give the same amount of movement as the teleflex unless Im missing something. But like you said, the stick attachment could easily be made adjustable. Or leave the stick attachment alone and make all adjustments at the rear bell crank to pushrod transition. But then you would have to remove the tailfeathers to make any adjustments. Unless you put in a strategically placed inspection ring.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 18
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment