Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Westach EGT CHT Gauge calibration Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Westach EGT CHT Gauge calibration  This thread currently has 110 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Antoni
March 7, 2020, 12:30pm Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Anyone know the correct full scale currents for the typical gauges used with Rotax 2-strokes? Please form an orderly queue.

While replacing the senders I checked the FSD current with a resistance box, 2 Volt cell and a multimeter. The milliamps for my 15 year-old dual gauges are:

EGT 2.67 2.54

CHT 1.72 1.85

Those are small percentage differences, except that the EGT pointers (correctly) don’t move at all until a certain current flows, so you’re only really seeing the top end of a much larger scale – the bottom part of the scale is ‘hidden’ if you see what I mean.

For the same gauge current there’s a significant difference in the reading with the EGT but much less difference with the CHT gauges because they seem to have linear scales.

Sure enough the lower current EGT side reads higher in flight - and uncomfortably close to 1200 F at times - hence this post.

Makes a bit of a mockery of Rotax’s specification of not more than 43 F difference between the cylinders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Antoni
March 8, 2020, 11:42am Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
On another forum someone came up with this gem:

https://www.acro.co.uk/html/westach_calibration.htm
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread