Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  1100R Build Log Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

1100R Build Log  This thread currently has 185 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
dennisatyson
March 1, 2020, 1:15am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 13 hours 32 minutes
I’m well on my way with a good start on the 1100R. I’ll post my progress here on the board.
I’m amazed at the quality Douglas Fir I have access to here n the Long Beach area. I’m also super fortunate that I’m only 40 minutes away from Aircraft Spruce.

In the first photo, you can see my Spar Caps. Better than the 8 growth rings per inch and the grain runs straight down the board. The allowable slope is 1” in 15”. These easily meet that requirement. I purchased 2x6x12’ boards and made all my dimensional lumber for the plane for $180. Super happy about that!

All ribs are complete and you can see in the photos that I’m putting the plywood on the spars. I marked both sides of the plywood so I know where to put the epoxy and where to staple. I put epoxy on the ply and the spar so there is no chance of a dry area.

Attachment: simplepdf_9995.pdf
72 downloads   -   Size: 118.31 KB

Attachment: simplepdf_2_4074.pdf
51 downloads   -   Size: 101.44 KB

Attachment: simplepdf_5_6920.pdf
48 downloads   -   Size: 127.08 KB

Attachment: simplepdf_6_1662.pdf
53 downloads   -   Size: 124.38 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
lake_harley
March 1, 2020, 4:00pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Looks like nice material and the parts look good. Brings back a lot of pleasant memories of building mine. I occasionally got tired of building but then the enthusiasm picked back up when I could see parts of an airplane actually forming before my eyes. Enjoy the process!

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
cdlwingnut
March 1, 2020, 10:32pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
I am using douglas fir in mine too, looks like good stuff. hope you enjoy the build.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
dennisatyson
March 2, 2020, 5:30am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 13 hours 32 minutes
I forgot how many staples are involved
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating