Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Epoxy advice Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Epoxy advice  This thread currently has 269 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
GhostFlyer
February 1, 2020, 2:00am Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 36 minutes
I'm currently building a minimax 1030f. I have been plugging away so far for a total of 10.5 hours and have both sides of my fuselage built and ready for epoxy. I was very careful in using a belt sander to get my final dimensions without burning the wood and getting it brown but it's almost so smooth that it looks polished. What is the recommended way to prep the surfaces before applying epoxy and clamping?
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
February 1, 2020, 1:24pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Back in the bad old days before epoxy; it was recommended that the surfaces of the joint be scored with sharp chisel corner in a cross hatch pattern. I think that it was suggested when the glue of the day used lots of clamping pressure. Today's epoxy does NOT require high pressure. Perhaps you could try the scoring method on some very smooth scraps and then break the joint to see how it worked.  

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
beragoobruce
February 1, 2020, 9:15pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
I wiped all my joints with a cloth dampened in acetone to remove the sanding dust.

If you are using WEST, you should ideally pre-coat areas to be joined with unthickened epoxy, then use slightly thickened epoxy to join. This is particularly important for end grain joints.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
GhostFlyer
February 1, 2020, 9:48pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 36 minutes
I have the recommended T-88 epoxy.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
kenneth
February 2, 2020, 1:01am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 10 hours 36 minutes
Agree with ace...just wipe the dust out.  T88 recommends sanding Doug fir due to opening up the resinous nature of the wood and wiping with lacquer thinner.  They recommend a freshly planed surface for sitka spruce or pine.  But if you can sand fir, you can sand spruce or pine as long as you remove the dust.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment