Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Vmax first start (with video) Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Vmax first start (with video)  This thread currently has 317 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BlueMax
January 20, 2020, 1:54am Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 47 minutes
Coaxed the V-max to life for the first time since 2016 this afternoon. Wouldnt idle without full choke so a carb rebuild is in order but she sure sounds good. Hopefuly in the next few weeks there will be a flying story thread for this bird!

Walkaround view
https://youtu.be/reBm4Ofquf8

Cockpit view
https://youtu.be/niJZEMMtfCI

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
textailwinds
January 20, 2020, 2:48pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 3 hours 17 minutes
How are you preventing carburetor ice?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
radfordc
January 20, 2020, 7:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
A friend bought a Volksplane some years ago that came with a 1600cc VW engine.  On his first flight the carb iced and he totaled the plane (but luckily not himself).  He gave me what was left of the engine and I turned it into a 1/2 VW that I tried on my old Airbike.  I used dual Mikuni carbs with no carb heat and didn't have any problem.  Some sort of carb heat is a good idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
BlueMax
January 20, 2020, 8:58pm Report to Moderator

Ace
textailwinds warm thoughts, wishful thinking, a carb ice probability chart and 164.8 ice free hours logged? im partly hopping that the 2bbl progressive carb will always have one of its 2 butterflies full open under normal flight conditions which should leave that venturi ice free and 75% power always available even if the partially closed secondary butterfly ices limiting RPM above 75% throttle.

its one thing I haven't figured out yet. its a 2 bbl carb so I will have to introduce twice the amount of exhaust if I use the valley engineering method. it sits on a cast aluminum manifold above the intake pipes which negates the temp gains I would get from wrapping the intake pipes with the oil lines. it sits above the top of the cowl in a custom fairing which would make a traditional heat box an unsightly addition and would leave a 3ft long scat tube run from the an exhaust shroud outside the cowl and exposed to the cold slipstream where the intake air would lose its heat.

the first flight will probably just be made on a day non conducive to icing unless someone has a better idea? maybe a cordless hairdryer blowing at the carb...….

Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
lake_harley
January 20, 2020, 11:24pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Sounds GREAT!

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
BlueMax
January 21, 2020, 2:27am Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks Lynn! It sure does! I used to have a sonerai with a 2180cc and its shocking how much smoother the 1600cc is!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
Avenger
January 24, 2020, 5:23pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 47 days 8 hours 2 minutes
Quoted from BlueMax
Thanks Lynn! It sure does! I used to have a sonerai with a 2180cc and its shocking how much smoother the 1600cc is!

good luck with the plane and hope to see you landing at my field soon

The light at the end of the tunnel has been sold to China, if you need the light at the end of the tunnel please send 100 Yen.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment