Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Tandem Airbike composite ribs Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Tandem Airbike composite ribs  This thread currently has 386 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
AlexW
January 10, 2020, 2:34am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 8 hours 41 minutes
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has tried making the wing ribs and other timber components out of a foam composite construction? The reason I ask is, having available cnc machinery, machining and laying up a composite rib section is simpler than a timber equivalent. The other reason I am considering this is that in Melbourne so far i have found it difficult to source timber of a suitable quality easily.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers
Alex
Logged Offline
Private Message
beragoobruce
January 10, 2020, 7:59am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Hi Alex

I can't comment on the composite ribs idea, but suitable timber in Oz would be hoop pine. There's a crowd in Qld that do it, but Google boatbuilding supply companies.

Good luck with your build.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
Greg Doe
January 10, 2020, 10:31pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
The last Wayne Ison design has a wing with foam ribs, and a full plywood wing skin. It was never flown, but might come on the market as a project later this year. If Mr. Ison thought it was a viable option, I would certainly give it serious consideration. The TEAM project I'm referring to is a "one off" low wing Ultralight that was conceived as a quicker build then traditional construction. Hopefully in the next couple of months it will go up for sale.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
Bob Hoskins
January 11, 2020, 2:24am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey Greg
I saw it and talked to Wayne about that at his home. It was very strong. I wish he had time to build the plane.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
Greg Doe
January 11, 2020, 8:20pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Bob, This airplane is in Watertown, TN. It only lacks a few hours work to make it flyable. Wayne had completed it as a tricycle gear. Harold Little acquired it, and was in the process of converting it to a conventional gear, but the project stalled for several years, and will probably be offered up for sale. It was not my purpose with this post to promote the sale of this project. I only wanted to give support to the use of foam ribs as an alternative to more traditional construction.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
AlexW
January 11, 2020, 11:40pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 8 hours 41 minutes
The boatbuilding supplier I contacted closer to me didn't have any aircraft grade hoop pine in stock as it was a special order, makes it more difficult to chip away at a project like this. The folding wing option for the airbike certainly is what attracted me the airbike, because of the five airports around me none have any hangar space.

So back to foam, I have an idea that maybe I could construct several timber sections then destructively load test to compare to see how they perfom side by side.

Cheers
Alex
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
Bob Hoskins
January 12, 2020, 1:17am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi Greg
My purpose too. I saw the wing, it looked good. The whole Ison group were a great bunch of people. Hope Larry and Skip are well. Back to thread, I b done, LOL
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
Greg Doe
January 12, 2020, 6:26am Report to Moderator
Ace
Bob, Skip visits this site often, but isn't interested in posting. He and Katherine are fine. I saw them a couple of times this fall. I haven't had any contact with Larry in the last couple of years. I guess I should try to give him a ring?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
mullacharjak
January 13, 2020, 11:50am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
The french microlight Aurore souricette similiar to minimax has got Foam ribs.

Attachment: rep2_10_8696.jpg
Size: 34.03 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
beragoobruce
January 15, 2020, 11:38pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Alex, you have a p.m.

Click on 'member centre' at the top of this page, then 'inbox'.

Cheers

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment