Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  1650 EROS Rib and Horizontal Stabilzer Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

1650 EROS Rib and Horizontal Stabilzer  This thread currently has 357 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
PoconoJohn
September 24, 2019, 12:56am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm helping 12 kids build a Minimax 1650 EROS. So far we built the vertical stabilizer and rudder. The rib jig drawing shows about 4" of upper capstrip at the front which appears to eventually get cut off. Is that there just to help establish the bend? Do you have any advice or suggestions for building the ribs?

On the rear of the horizontal stabilizer, the drawing 10 sections A and E show a hole to be drilled during assembly. There is no other information. Do I drill later on when the location and size hole become more apparent? Thank you! I'm glad to see so many other builders here.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Stilson
September 24, 2019, 1:29am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
I can't respond on the Eros, but will offer this advice.  If you have acces to a compound miter saw use it to cut all your pieces as batch runs.  After you have your jig made, hand cut/plane a perfectly fitting rib in it, then set up a stop block on the miter saw fence (build a longer one if necessary) and set the saw up for one component using cheap scrap until it cuts a perfect fit. Then just chop, chop,chop out all of them plus a couple extras. Then set it up for the next piece.  If you are milling your own wood from locally available boards, start with the longest pieces and work towards the shorter ones.  Allot of the time the "drop offs" will have enough sections of good wood to make the shorter ones, a lot less waste. Label or place the parts in bins, it will save an amazing amount of time.  I've cut and glued an entire wings worth of ribs in two evenings this way, it works. It was for a different airplane though and I was able to staple the glued gussets on to pull the rib from the jig before it dried, and move to the next one, I'd be Leary doing that with the 1/4 by 1/4 caps though.
There is enough pieces to have each kid set up the saw for one component..
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
PoconoJohn
September 24, 2019, 1:03pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Thanks! I don't have a compound miter saw though, so using cheap wood for templates and marking the good wood for cuts with a bandsaw and finishing with belt sander. Will put all the cut sticks in marked cups and then start gluing. Thanks again!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
lake_harley
September 25, 2019, 2:05am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
I believe you're correct in that the extra length helps establish the curve. If it were just long enough to reach the forward vertical rib stick I believe you would end up with a flat spot rather than the slight curve it has.

Lynn
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
PoconoJohn
October 30, 2019, 12:29am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Thank you!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print