Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  How much Paint??? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

How much Paint???  This thread currently has 445 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
JGlassFNP
July 23, 2019, 8:22pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 8 hours 12 minutes
I have a V Max with 1600 turtle deck back on it. I will be using Poly Tone and need to get an Idea how much it with take to spray it, minimal of 2 coats. I appreciate your shared experiences and advice. Thanks , James
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tom
July 24, 2019, 5:31pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Do you have the Poly-Fiber book?  I'm pretty sure you'll find enough information there to do your estimating properly.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
ironnerd
September 22, 2019, 7:57pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
SWAG*ging here, so be kind...(and please correct me).

It looks like 01 Gallon of Poly-Brush will cover 150 sq ft, and 01 gallon of Poly-Spray or Poly-Tone will cover 200 sq ft.

Our planes come with 38 yards of fabric, assuming a width of 60" we're looking at 570 sq feet of Max fabric.

That's 04 gallons of Poly-Brush, 03 gallons of Poly-Spray, 03 gallons of Poly-Tone, and 01 pint of PolyFiber reducer.

* SWAG = Scientific Wild @$$ Guess.
E-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Mickvds
September 23, 2019, 11:38am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 2 days 47 minutes
I'm in the process of painting the wings for our Himax at the moment. To paint the White Stripes took 1 Quart. I'll need to buy some more to finish the ailerons. For the stripes in between the white I have got 1 Quart of Black which should be enough to do the wings and aileron.

The stripes take up 1/3 of the wing so I'm hoping I can stretch the 1 Gal of Olive Drab Green we've got over the remaining 2/3's.

So I think we'll end up using 1.75 Gal of Polytone and a big chunk of the 1 Gal of Reducer we got.

Attachment: white_stripes_4951.jpg
Size: 50.77 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Mickvds
September 23, 2019, 11:46am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Not sure if you are also doing the Poly Spray coats but for that we used approx 2 Gallon of Poly Spray to do 3 Cross Coats plus almost a Gallon of Reducer.

It has been an eye opener to see how much product it takes to do the covering.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Mickvds
September 24, 2019, 9:32am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Finished the Black stripes and Olive Drab today. Ended up using 2/3 Gallon of Olive Drab and 2/3 Quart of Black. Still have ailerons to do but shouldn't have to get any more except for white

Attachment: finish_2_3533.jpg
Size: 45.66 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
JGlassFNP
October 10, 2019, 12:05pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 8 hours 12 minutes
those wings look awesome, and thanks all who replied for the great info. James
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread