Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Aileron Construction V Max wing Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Aileron Construction V Max wing  This thread currently has 402 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
JGlassFNP
July 20, 2019, 2:55pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 8 hours 12 minutes
Does anyone have pics of their aileron construction before the plywood was added , like how you did the small half circle pieces that acts as the front ribs that the thin plywood goes over. Also any pics of the d section construction from rib attachments before plywood skins just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Thanks a bunch
Logged Offline
Private Message
mullacharjak
July 21, 2019, 10:29am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Havent built a minimax yet but I think you can use an adjustable hole cutter to cut the circle on a 1 3/4 R. Better still measure the distance
between the arrows and adjust the hole cutter. Next use the template T made from alum strip to mark the cut line.

Correction: The template may be dispensed with and a straight edge would seem to be ok against a 1/4 bolt.

Attachment: untitled_3094.jpg
Size: 24.93 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
Tom
July 21, 2019, 12:05pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Actually this should be very simple.  Make a template using a pencil compass cutting out on the bandsaw with a very narrow blade and fine teeth.  Cut to the outside of the line, sand to the line.  Use the smallest possible dots of Gougeon's 5 minute epoxy, or any weak glue, to glue together a stack of plywood pieces.  Trace the template onto the top of the stack and cut it out on the band saw, cutting to the outside of the line.  Sand the stack to perfect shape and then pry the pieces apart.

Of course these days you'll want to check if you are buying a wing kit as the parts may be provided laser cut, which will be a huge labor savings.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
JGlassFNP
July 21, 2019, 2:50pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
I have the ribs cut per template in plans all are exact did them in a stack, I was wondering about how they attach with enough skin to secure behind them, like the aileron spar, it says to cut pieces and glue between the lengths of the aileron ribs basically building up the spar but  are the lengths on the back of spar or front in between after half circled are barely tacked to the small rib pieces left over once cut away from the wing? anyone have pics? Thanks again, James
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
mullacharjak
July 21, 2019, 8:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
I havent built a minimax so dont have any pictures or experience but would like to explain as I understand through rough diagrams.

There are 18 1/8" ribs. All of them attach to the sides of RS 1 "small rib pieces left over once cut away from the wing" that you are talking about on ribs 12346789 and 10.
There are 12 1/4 " nose ribs. 10 of them fit within the plane of RS 1 or inside  the small rib pieces left over at the front of aileron you have
mentioned. These are ribs # 4 7 5 root and tip.Therefore these 10 ribs need trimming.
The remaining 2 1/4" ribs dont need trimming and attach at rib station 5A.
The 1/32 ply skin just wraps around.
  RS 3 is behind spar web.Cut to fit.
  In the side view 1/16 ply gusset seperating RS1 and RS3 not shown.
  Side view shows the trimmed 1/4" ply rib. 1/8" ribs are not trimmed and fit outside RS1 and neither is 1/4" rib 5A where there is no RS1.

Attachment: untitled_5278.jpg
Size: 46.86 KB

Attachment: untitled_2_8412.jpg
Size: 52.55 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
JGlassFNP
July 23, 2019, 12:10pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Awesome, good instructions, I appreciate it...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
Mickvds
July 24, 2019, 1:28am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 2 days 47 minutes
Gday JGlassFNP.

I'm currently working on my aileron for my Himax and posted up some photos in another thread. These may be helpfull/interesting for you.

Cheers, Mick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
JGlassFNP
August 5, 2019, 1:42pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
thanks Mick, will check them out now.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
aeronut
August 5, 2019, 2:11pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
You can make very accurate parts using a router and a bit for trimming counter tops. Make a very accurate part and use it for a template to form the remaining pieces. I did all the nose ribs for the wings in this way. It helps to have a router table.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
Tom
August 5, 2019, 11:16pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
While I described above using a bandsaw on the stack of pieces Aeronut is quite correct that a router table with a straight bit with a roller to go against the pattern is the absolutely perfect way to make really perfect pieces.  My way is more of a "production" version, but it may only be more appropriate for a really experienced wood worker.  The router table way is probably better for a great many people.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment