Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  going from 35 Global to 40 Mosler Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

going from 35 Global to 40 Mosler  This thread currently has 158 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
July 20, 2019, 3:44am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
Not too long ago I sold a 35 Global I had totally rebuilt, got my money back out, and now have purchased a CB40 Mosler from a man in Montreal who had been running it on a Hummel Cruiser, upon selling the Hummel Cruiser, the buyer wanted to try a HKS so he did not buy the Mosler.  The owner had run the Mosler through a speed shop of some kind and one of the things they ended up doing, much to the delight of the seller, was to get rid of the Zenith carb and go to an Aero Aarb.  The man said the result was an incredible transformation, in power, sound, performance, and responsiveness.  Supposedly the man has had eighteen planes, now has a Kitten in barnstormers, and I have seen him selling other stuff as  well, so he does have some credibility.  I went up to the Canadian border and met him and got the engine and have just now hoisted it up to begin getting the Max set up for it rather than the set up I had for the Global.  I never expected it would be a four point match to the Global, and it isn't.  I am going to keep the mount it came with and merely add some cross members to use the four hard points on the Max.  Overall, it is not that challenging, or so I think right now.  First question is one I think I brought up when fitting the Max for the Global, where is the thrust line for flat top Max, I think the discussion led to the consensus that as long as the thrust line lf the engine was close to the upper longeron, you probably were ok. Does that sound right?  I can't recall seeing it in the plans although it might be there.  There were a couple of other points I found interesting and only time will tell how they work out.  I asked him about oil cooling and he indicated he never found it necessary in his hundred hours of use, and also, the small steel plate that seems to always accompany half vw types, which acts as a crank counterweight I believe, was not there, and he indicated that the speed shop had balanced everything so well it was not necessary.  I can see that point bringing about an argument but my read of the man was that he was shooting straight.  Hummel did one for me on the Global, I had a Hummel engine that had it, and I just sold a Pup with 35 Mosler which had it, sure seems like they are a common item, again, time will tell I suppose, but I will initially run it without that little prop hub plate.  
All comments, thoughts, opinions, experiences, appreciated.  
Thank you
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message
beragoobruce
July 21, 2019, 2:26am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Thrust line isn't too critical. Ideally, aim for top longeron as you said.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
Tom
July 21, 2019, 11:51am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Normally I would say that an absolutely horizontal to the longerons thrust line is relatively insensitive to the height of the thrust line.  More important would be the angle, both in the vertical plane and the horizontal plane.  I would certainly want to start out with a thrust line horizontal to the longerons and congruent with the longitudinal axis.  However it is worthwhile knowing that sometimes experimentation with a slight downward thrust line may actually increase performance.  I doubt that would be worth trying on an aircraft that has been around awhile like these, as angle of attack of the wing has probably been refined, but sometimes it has worked out.  On the other hand it isn't uncommon to find that a slight angle in the horizontal will result in an aircraft which "flies straighter" without constantly pressing on one rudder peddle or using excessive rudder trim.  This can slightly reduce overall drag.  These would be minor points, but it is worth mentioning.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment