Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  To Chop the Prop or not... that is the question Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

To Chop the Prop or not... that is the question  This thread currently has 171 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Stroid
June 18, 2019, 5:25pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 55 minutes
I just put a rotax 503 single carb into a minimax and I have an ultraprop II 3 blade 59in fan on it. According to ultraprop, this with a 10 degree pitch block should be about right. But Im only getting 4200 rpm out of the engine. WAYYYY too much prop for this engine. I have a 2.25:1 belt drive on it. Im guessing if I take 3in off each blade to trim it down from 59 to 53in diameter, it should get me closer. Or I could just buy a two blade hub and go that route instead. Any suggestions? I don't mind trimming down the 3 blade unless its gonna be bad performance vs a longer 2 blade. More ground clearance after trimming the 3 blade would be nice but not really necessary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Max SSDR
June 18, 2019, 6:10pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
I'm running a 60 x 42 2 blade (wood) on my 'Max. With a 447, it's a bit coarse but gives 6100 static and 6800 in climb. I'm fitting a 503 twin carb but keeping the same prop. Here in the UK, the 60 x 42 is suitable for both engines apparently. I'm yet to find out! With the 447 I was getting 60kts at 5100rpm and around 9lph.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
tomshep
June 18, 2019, 6:14pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
No. Don't cut it down. 53" even for a three blader sounds very small for a 503. I don't think that your engine is healthy. It should be pulling more than 4200. Check with a good optical tacho first and have somebody check your pitch block is right. You are overpropped but only a bit, not that much IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
Stroid
June 18, 2019, 6:25pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
The engine is fine. Excellent compression and revs to 6500 and way beyond if I let it with the ultra prop I original 3 blade prop which has ALOT less pitch built into it. The orginal ultra prop 1 is flat poor quality blades. The ultraprop 2 however is a really well designed quality prop. This is just waaay too much prop for this engine. But their customer service is excellent. They just offered to exchange my 3 blade hub for a 2 blade hub to try that. So I will try that before any cutting.

And i checked prop rpm vs engine rpm with a laser tachometer and the laser and tiny tachs both agreed perfectly with each other.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
radfordc
June 19, 2019, 1:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
With a 2.25 reduction you definitely don't want a 3 blade prop.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
radfordc
June 19, 2019, 1:48pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
I used the original Ultra Prop I many years ago but found them inefficient.  Glad to see they have improved the product.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
The Termite
June 19, 2019, 4:41pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Hard  to beat a ground-adjustable 2-blade Warp Drive prop..............
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Stroid
June 19, 2019, 5:03pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Yeha I have that warp on my weedhopper. It is the best prop bar none.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  To Chop the Prop or not... that is the question

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment