Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Bother Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Bother  This thread currently has 3,424 views. Print
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Recommend Thread
Tom
June 6, 2019, 6:43pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Bob Daly and RadfordC are correct.  The further aft of the main wheels the CG is the more like a ground loop is.  For the most complete exposition of the calculations I've seen read: "Landing Gear Design for Light Aircraft" by Ladislao Pazmany.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 120 - 168
Keith103
June 6, 2019, 7:23pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
RadfordC. Thanks for bringing in the link to that nice article.  Bob, thanks for educating me.

The question that I still have is whether moving the CG more back from the main wheels will reduce tendency to nose over or not. That is where this discussion started, as we were trying to analyze why the Max noses over easily in a forced landing. Some said it is due to high engine mass line, some said it is due the axle getting stuck in an obstruction.

Private Message Reply: 121 - 168
tomshep
June 6, 2019, 8:39pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
The mass of the engine has inertia which takes over when the axle snags in the undergrowth. It is as simple as that.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 122 - 168
Keith103
June 6, 2019, 9:39pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Tom
Bob Daly and RadfordC are correct.  The further aft of the main wheels the CG is the more like a ground loop is.  For the most complete exposition of the calculations I've seen read: "Landing Gear Design for Light Aircraft" by Ladislao Pazmany.

Tom

Thanks,Tom.
Here's another link:
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/design/q0200.shtml
Private Message Reply: 123 - 168
Tom
June 6, 2019, 10:23pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Keith110,

Remember you don't want to "move the CG aft".  You want to keep it as close to the designed location as possible.  Too far aft and you have pitch stability problems.  Too far forward and you have problems getting enough control authority in pitch.  Read the manual on weight and balance.  Proper CG location is one of the keys to an aircraft that really flies well.  If you are really worried about a nose over, you might consider a tri-gear version.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 124 - 168
beragoobruce
June 7, 2019, 2:08am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from Antoni

So I reckon there would be a squeezing force instead of a '45 degree force' on the sides of the fuselage floor you'd expect with the standard set-up. Would it not have to be re-inforced to react that squeeze?

Antoni, it is. With the optional 'steel undercarriage' there is an additional substantial steel crossmember transversely across the floor that braces the two u/c mounting points.  Good deduction!

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 125 - 168
PUFF
June 7, 2019, 11:44am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
another consideration of CG aft is it's more liable to STALL (Mush) once flying.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 126 - 168
Keith103
June 7, 2019, 1:48pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I guess the reason for tail lifting and airplane flipping on to its back when axle is force-stopped on landing roll, is probably because in a Max, CG is behind the main gear. In a plane where CG is ahead of main gear, the axle and main gear may shear off, but plane is not likely to nose over.
Private Message Reply: 127 - 168
mullacharjak
June 7, 2019, 2:06pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

I dont think you cure a nose over tendency by moving the cg. The cg is fixed in relation to the centre of lift and that relation can not be disturbed.

You can move the wheels forward.The minimax wheels are already at the leading edge of the wing and way ahead of the cg. The criteria for wheel placement is ahead of cg in two point attirude which it is.The wheels cant be moved anyway.
Also if the wheels are moved forward excessively it will be difficult to lift the tail while taking off.
So moving the wheels forward may cure the nose over tendency but its not realistic.

So I guess other than the ski like device on the fokker spin trainer I posted earlier there seems to be no clear remedy other than avoiding landing in crops.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 128 - 168
aeronut
June 7, 2019, 2:25pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Best bet would be a Hi-max with George's composite main landing gear. But that is extra weight. And larger wheels would help also.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 129 - 168
tomshep
June 7, 2019, 3:24pm Report to Moderator
Ace
That wouldn't stop it from nosing over. The physics are simple and obvious. A big weight with a pivot point behind and below it rapidly brought to a standstill from 30 MPH. It doesn't take much thinking about. That is why I made enough speed so I could land into wind and UP THE HILL. It is the only chance you have  to prevent a full flip.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 130 - 168
Keith103
June 7, 2019, 3:33pm Report to Moderator

Ace
>>>>I dont think you cure a nose over tendency by moving the cg. The cg is fixed in relation to the centre of lift and that relation can not be disturbed.<<<<

Totally agreed.
My implication was never that we move the CG forward in a Max. I wouldn't even try it. Merely trying to analyze why it happened to Monte and a few others.
Private Message Reply: 131 - 168
Keith103
June 7, 2019, 4:14pm Report to Moderator

Ace
>>>You can move the wheels forward.The minimax wheels are already at the leading edge of the wing and way ahead of the cg. The criteria for wheel placement is ahead of cg in two point attirude which it is.The wheels cant be moved anyway.
Also if the wheels are moved forward excessively it will be difficult to lift the tail while taking off.
So moving the wheels forward may cure the nose over tendency but its not realistic
..<<<

========================

I guess whatever changes you may make, in a tail-dragger the CG has to be always behind the main gear.  So if that aft location of CG is indeed the prime reason to nose-over, then we simply live with the possibility.

Axle modification may reduce the chances of axle getting snagged in the undergrowth and big pieces of rock. But even that may not eliminate it fully.
Private Message Reply: 132 - 168
Greg Doe
June 7, 2019, 6:44pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Sorry to change the subject, but I've got another problem today. Those pesky blue FA18's are flying over my house again! I suppose it's not as annoying as the kidney stone I passed last night!
Life is good.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 133 - 168
joe.scalet
June 8, 2019, 12:14am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
If you ever fly an aircraft with the CG aft of the designed range (I have-not intentionally), you immediately realize that once it stalls it will probably stay stalled. Think riding a beach ball on a trampoline, stalling is not an option. On the plus side, you will go faster as the tail surfaces are now (must) provide lift instead of down force. I would bet the aircraft in the picture had a lifting tail. The Wright Flyer was more efficient because the canard configuration did not require a down force from the canard as a modern aircraft does with its tail surfaces.
Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 134 - 168
RedBird
June 8, 2019, 6:51pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from joe.scalet
For ITMan496:
If you are looking for two seats, potentially low maintenance, and fun, look for a 7AC Aeronca Champ. I have 800 hours in them. The Chief (11AC) (150 hours) is much nicer looking, side by side seating, and not nearly as much fun. You can always get as much or more than you paid for it if you maintain it and bought it wisely. Fuel consumption is slightly less than a 447 and you don't have to buy the oil. There is no actual TBO on the engine, according to Continental, if it pulls recommended static rpm, it is good to go. I have taken several 2000+ mile trips in one.
Joe Scalet

My first plane, and the aircraft I learned on, was a 1946 11AC. Paid $12.5k, sold it 5 years later for $17.5k (did have some top engine work). Flew across USA twice. Once w instructor, once solo. Loved it, even though 65hp not a rocket ship two-up in summer 🙄😎. Super simple, super fun way to fly on 5gal/hr or less 👍.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 135 - 168
ITman496
June 8, 2019, 7:31pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
That does sound like a ton of fun!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 136 - 168
The Termite
June 9, 2019, 3:05pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from aeronut
Best bet would be a Hi-max with George's composite main landing gear. But that is extra weight. And larger wheels would help also.

Agreed. Or if not George's,  Grove  makes spring aluminum landing gear.

I don't like the the cross axle on the Minimaxes.  It could snag in tall grass quite easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 137 - 168
radfordc
June 9, 2019, 7:23pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Guys, you're not going to be able to use a Hi Max gear like George makes, nor a Grove gear on a Minimax.  The wing loads are carried by the landing gear assembly.  If you don't like the straight tube then you need the welded version that TEAM sells.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 138 - 168
The Termite
June 10, 2019, 4:07am Report to Moderator
Ace
Quoted from radfordc
Guys, you're not going to be able to use a Hi Max gear like George makes, nor a Grove gear on a Minimax.  The wing loads are carried by the landing gear assembly.  If you don't like the straight tube then you need the welded version that TEAM sells.

I know that.

And it's why if/when I build a custom Himax,  it will be a Himax, not a Minimax.

I'm thinking a Himax, built to Eros specs, with a 503 DCDI, C box, 3-blade Warp Drive prop, George's main gear, etc. And two  6-gal wing tanks, with a 3 gal header tank.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 139 - 168
The Termite
June 10, 2019, 4:09am Report to Moderator
Ace
Should be a low flying, land on a farm turn-row, special light-sport aircraft............... with 18" tires......
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 140 - 168
RedBird
June 11, 2019, 4:12am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from The Termite

I know that.

And it's why if/when I build a custom Himax,  it will be a Himax, not a Minimax.

I'm thinking a Himax, built to Eros specs, with a 503 DCDI, C box, 3-blade Warp Drive prop, George's main gear, etc. And two  6-gal wing tanks, with a 3 gal header tank.

Just about exact specs of my slow going project 👍😎

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 141 - 168
Stroid
June 11, 2019, 1:13pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 55 minutes
Bigger tires would help prevent some of the axle grab I would think. Also give a little more cushion. But make it harder to stop in a short distance. How large of tires have people used?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 142 - 168
tomshep
June 11, 2019, 6:21pm Report to Moderator
Ace
It will increase the drag below the thrust line and reduce the tail moment. I don't think it will improve the aircraft much!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 143 - 168
radfordc
June 12, 2019, 7:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from Stroid
Bigger tires would help prevent some of the axle grab I would think. Also give a little more cushion. But make it harder to stop in a short distance. How large of tires have people used?

I don't think that fat tires prevent you from stopping quick....

https://youtu.be/zV-n9SHNZV4
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 144 - 168
Stroid
June 12, 2019, 7:51pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 3 hours 55 minutes
Not fat tires but large diameter makes braking harder. Think of a vehicle. If you put huge wheels on it the braking drops to nothing. Brakes are operating on small disc with huge force of wheels. You have to install bigger diameter disks to get braking back.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 145 - 168
Keith103
June 12, 2019, 8:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Will large tires alter the 3 point attitude / geometry of the airplane on the ground ? A couple of extra inches in diameter may not make a difference, but a 20 inch tire means axle will be lifted by 3.5 inches and may mean the nose tip being elevated by about 5 to 6 inches.

Not saying it will have an impact in ground handling, just asking.

( I was thinking of using a larger diameter tail wheel to get the nose down some, to make taxiing easier. )
Private Message Reply: 146 - 168
Ricardo
June 12, 2019, 11:14pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
Tomshep: Any news why the engine stopped? Always wondering for some useful information.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 147 - 168
tomshep
June 13, 2019, 5:28pm Report to Moderator
Ace
No, I'll never find out. I put the  engine up for sale and the aircraft is due to be cut up and burned.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 148 - 168
Keith103
June 13, 2019, 5:30pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Tire sizes I mentioned couple posts above, are external diameter of the tire when inflated. The stock wheel barrow tire is 13 inches.

The tire size they state for cars is the rim size, I guess. So in carspeak, the wheel barrow tire is only 6 inches. I hope this is a correct assumption.
Private Message Reply: 149 - 168
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment