Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Rotax 503 reseal....again Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Rotax 503 reseal....again  This thread currently has 358 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
texasbuzzard
May 16, 2019, 8:07pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
2 years ago I replaced the crank seals due to the mag seal leaking. After tear down the seal had a “beard” of oil and dirt to confirm my suspicion. A week ago I noticed my mag egt was reading 150 deg higher than the pto reading. I checked the carb and boot for any leakage but they were good and also balanced the carbs but problem still exists. Closer inspection revealed that the mag seal was leaking again so I disassembled the engine and replaced them again...problem solved. I would think the seals would last longer than 2 years. It might be because of the blended fuel and the oem seals. I would like to find replacement Viton seals.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message
PUFF
May 17, 2019, 11:26am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I thought all we used now were Viton.... Did you use an OE seal? any seal sitting on a shelf for a while is going to go bad just from sitting, as the rubber dries out.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 12
texasbuzzard
May 17, 2019, 2:11pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
I did use the oem seals from LEAF but don’t know how long they were in storage. My understanding is that the oem seals from Rotax were the same ones they used in the early days which were not Viton. Tri- State Kite advertised they have Viton seals but was unable to contact them.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 12
radfordc
May 17, 2019, 4:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from texasbuzzard
I did use the oem seals from LEAF but don’t know how long they were in storage. My understanding is that the oem seals from Rotax were the same ones they used in the early days which were not Viton. Tri- State Kite advertised they have Viton seals but was unable to contact them.

Monte

I found this on the facebook page: Our contact number is (812) 781 9882.......... 838 6351 number is no longer in service.

Seems I heard Mark Smith had passed away?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 12
texasbuzzard
May 17, 2019, 6:22pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Thanks I will try that number.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 12
PUFF
May 20, 2019, 12:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Mark Smith is dead? RIP....
He did the engine on my Hi Max, which I just sold.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 12
RedBird
June 12, 2019, 3:04am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Monte, Did you have any luck locating Viton seal source? I have a couple 503’s that have been on shelf for several years, so going to need seals before getting airborne...thx.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 12
texasbuzzard
June 12, 2019, 8:59am Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Tony after getting my engine back together with factory seals I did not try to contact them again. Since summer is here I’m getting airtime in and will try again when the cold weather comes back.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 12
RedBird
June 13, 2019, 2:35pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from texasbuzzard
Tony after getting my engine back together with factory seals I did not try to contact them again. Since summer is here I’m getting airtime in and will try again when the cold weather comes back.

Monte

A man with his priorities straight!! 👍👍😎.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 12
The Termite
June 14, 2019, 11:41pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Andy Humphrey uses Viton seals when he rebuilds Rotax 503 engines.  He is a certified Rotax repair center.  https://heavenboundaviation.com/

You can contact him at 740-644-4690.

Or email:   info@heavenboundaviation.com

I think that Bill Larson, Oregon Aircraft Designs, also has Viton seals for Rotax engines.  (503) 876-8980
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 12
RedBird
June 15, 2019, 2:04am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from The Termite
Andy Humphrey uses Viton seals when he rebuilds Rotax 503 engines.  He is a certified Rotax repair center.  https://heavenboundaviation.com/

You can contact him at 740-644-4690.

Or email:   info@heavenboundaviation.com

I think that Bill Larson, Oregon Aircraft Designs, also has Viton seals for Rotax engines.  (503) 876-8980

Rgr. Thx!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 12
texasbuzzard
June 15, 2019, 8:50am Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Thx termite I will give the a call.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 12
texasbuzzard
June 15, 2019, 1:57pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Got a reply from heaven bound aviation and they have the seals. Will order them on Monday. Again thanks Termite.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 12
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment