Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Wood Shortage Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Wood Shortage  This thread currently has 358 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
sbank1957
March 21, 2019, 5:54am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 25 minutes
Well now I have another dilemma, I have all the wood ( spruce ) needed for the fuselage sides except the 1 1/4 pieces and the rear top longerons from mid cockpit back, what I have isn't long enough, I called wicks today and they said they only have cap,strips and not of that length, said once they get rid if what they got they wont be selling anymore spruce, I ask why and was told that they cant get good wood anymore, the tree's just aint there, didn't expect that, this leaves me to do what I didn't want to do, source my own wood, I didn't want to mix wood but Im going to have to, is this ok? furthermore I don't know what I might find locally white pine or douglas fir, I would like to stick with only one other type of wood so Im gonna call around tomorrow and see what I can find, I have heard of people digging through lumber only to come away with nothing.Is white pine good enough for spar's?
Logged Offline
Private Message
cdlwingnut
March 21, 2019, 12:40pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
Try Aircraft Spruce if you are set on spruce, the wood will be expensive and shipping will cost as much or more than the wood for the long pieces.

If you source locally you might find some good white pine but finding sections long enough with good enough grain and no knots will be hard. I would find douglas fir flooring. that will have tight strait grain and will be stronger but heavier than spruce.

another option is poplar, several peitenpols have been buit with poplar. I myself wouldn't use it for spars though
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
Tom
March 21, 2019, 9:34pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Do remember that you can scarph shorter pieces to length if you have to.  I love to have long lengths, but if you can't get long lengths with perfect grain the whole way you are going to be better off scarphing to length anyway.  Cost to ship aside.  Of course it costs less to ship if you order everything you need at one time.  Its the one piece you need thing that really causes the shipping to be expensive in relation to the wood.  We used to sell drafting splines and the cost of shipping was invariably more than the cost of the spline.  Completely out of our control but I got really nasty responses from people even though I'd tell them in advance what it would cost.  Finally I had to raise the price of the splines.  Then everyone was happy.  It wasn't the total cost that bothered them.  It was the fact that the shipping cost more than the spline.

I've worked with wood all my life and have often been told that particular woods aren't available anymore.  So far I've found it is more a matter of finding the people who cut that particular species.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
radfordc
March 22, 2019, 3:19pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating