Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  longerons Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

longerons  This thread currently has 365 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
sbank1957
March 7, 2019, 3:54pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 25 minutes
I would know the answer to these questions if I had the outline drawn on my table but Im still working on it, the longest piece's of longeron wood I have  is 8 ft, for the top I don't know if this will put my scarf in the center of the cockpit as in the plans, is there any reason the scarf just have to be there? for the bottom I don't know if that will reach the center piece, would it be ok to scarf a piece in these if needed?
Logged Offline
Private Message
tomshep
March 7, 2019, 6:06pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Yes, there is a reason. The scarf at the top is supported by the structure around it (the seat framing and fuselage sides and top ) and the one at the bottom is at the bend in the floor. It is also near to the centre of lift so has to carry the least weight. A look at my online plans shows that the scarf is between station 2 and 4 which is 70" back. Behind that is 8' 1 1/2" of fuselage so no. Your 8' length is not long enough. Now a good scarf is considered to be as good as the wood it is made from but these are four of the most crucial parts of the aircraft. You may choose to scarf where you will but I would go and buy a longer piece of wood.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
sbank1957
March 7, 2019, 8:00pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Ok, thank you
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
Bob Daly
March 7, 2019, 9:44pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Tail loads, air and wheel, on the fuselage truss aft of the plywood box subject the longerons to compressive and tensile loads.  The loads increase as the distance from the tail increases.  Splices in the plywood box section are reinforced by the plywood and other structure.  If you must splice the longerons in the truss section, make the splice as near to the tail as possible and reinforce the splice with 1/8" plywood plates (in addition to the ply doublers already prescribed in the plans) that extend a couple of inches beyond the splice or sister in a piece of longeron material.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
cdlwingnut
March 8, 2019, 12:18am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
are you sourcing your own wood? if so hit the lumber yards with the AC on wood grading in your hand and look for douglas fir flooring. pick out a board that makes the grade and is long enough to not need a scarf joint.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
sbank1957
March 8, 2019, 5:55am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Thanks Ace, I don't trust my judgement picking wood for this purpose, since Wicks is only about 70 miles from here I think Ill just drive down there and pick up what I need for the top rear, what I have should be long enough for the rest, shipping for piece's that long will cost more than the wood itself
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
cdlwingnut
March 9, 2019, 2:19am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
Quoted from sbank1957
Thanks Ace, I don't trust my judgement picking wood for this purpose, since Wicks is only about 70 miles from here I think Ill just drive down there and pick up what I need for the top rear, what I have should be long enough for the rest, shipping for piece's that long will cost more than the wood itself

that is a great option too. good luck and keep us posted on your build
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
tomshep
March 9, 2019, 9:53am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Agreed. There is nothing like using the right stuff to make you confident about the build quality and you need that when your work is all that is between you and a thousand foot drop.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
RedBird
June 15, 2019, 10:16am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from sbank1957

Are you able to source spruce at Wicks via local pickup? Seems on website they are no longer selling spruce? Anyone have any insights?

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
mullacharjak
June 15, 2019, 12:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

If we are talking about the longerons then the recommended wood is White pine.(Pinus strobus)

There is no mention  of spruce being used in any minimax part or did I miss the briefing?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment