Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Prop strike damage Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Prop strike damage  This thread currently has 864 views. Print
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
tomshep
February 17, 2019, 6:11pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Trust me, they do. They have been known to tip over or get landed into all sorts of things!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 30 - 36
Antoni
February 17, 2019, 7:28pm Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Quoted from mullacharjak

What if you buy a pusher or a trike engine. They dont  have prop strikes .
KK

Have to say that with my own eyes I've seen several wrecked props on weightshift trikes after bad landings. That's how I know how an Ivo is constructed!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 31 - 36
radfordc
February 18, 2019, 2:52pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
I watched a powered parachute guy get his lines into an Ivo Prop on the ground....instant disaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 32 - 36
Tom
February 22, 2019, 11:47pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
I almost never comment on anything to do with engines as I don't consider myself a mechanic, though oddly people used to bring me outboards that mechanics had given up trying to get to run and I seemed to be able to sort them out.  However someone above touched on the inherent risk in buying used engines.  One way to save some money and avoid this, if you have the confidence to follow manuals, is to buy an engine kit and assemble it yourself.  You save money, get a new engine, and you won't be hesitant to tear it down and check things out if you do get a prop strike.  Just a thought.  It's the way I'm most comfortable to go.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 33 - 36
radfordc
February 23, 2019, 3:18pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from Tom
Ibuy an engine kit and assemble it yourself.  

The only engine kit I'm familiar with are for full size VW engines.  Of course it's possible to make a 1/2 VW from one of them....is this what you mean?  I once built a 1/2 VW engine and it turned out to be the most unreliable engine I've owned.  It lasted 32 hours before self destructing.

I would always recommend buying a new engine first; or a used engine from a well known overhaul shop.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 34 - 36
Tom
February 23, 2019, 8:54pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Though there are other kits out there, I was indeed thinking mainly of what I guess we'd call "VW technology" engines.  However I would want to make clear that I wouldn't use a "conversion"  of an actual VW automobile engine.  The really good engines in this category don't really have any Volkswagen made parts in them any more.  Everything from the cases on up are made for high performance use from parts made specially for this purpose.  There probably should be another name for this type of engine.  My favorite, though one of the most expensive kits is the Aeroconversions one, though that would only be OK for something like the "Epic Sport" I'm building so slowly.  There are other kits for "1/2" type engines, suitable for anything down to ultralights.  Built from high performance parts, not a very scientific term, there is no reason not to expect a reliable engine.  These are a lot less expensive than other fully comparable fully assembled engines.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 35 - 36
The Termite
February 24, 2019, 7:32pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
A Rotax 503 Prov 8 is a reliable engine if run properly.  While there are a few new ones(new old stock) floating around, most are used because Rotax quit making them in 2012.

I would not be worried about a used 503 Prov 8,    rebuilt by a reputable Rotax repairman.  

Or you can overhaul one yourself,  they aren't that complicated. The most expensive thing will be if you have to replace the crankshaft.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 36 - 36
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment