Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Shrinking AirBike ?? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Shrinking AirBike ??  This thread currently has 388 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
February 11, 2019, 2:58pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Shrinking AirBike?

For the past 20 or so years, I have noticed that many of my favorite clothes have been shrinking. Most to the point that I can not wear them anymore and have had to go to progressively larger sizes. This is unfortunate because I really liked my bell bottoms, leisure suit, tie-died & paisley shirts, and puffy ski jacket. Even my winter gloves have had to be exchanged for mittens. Fortunately my flip flops have not shrunk or else I would have to wear old man slippers. 

But now what I have come to realize is that wood and steel also shrink...a lot. And it isn't just because it's cold in Kansas during winter. Unfortunately, steel and wood will also shrink during the summer. This is seriously affecting my AirBike. The fuselage cockpit seems to be getting smaller, and the wings are getting shorter. The smaller fuselage is causing an ergonomic problem. The shorter wings result in less surface area and thus less lift causing my takeoff runs to be longer. At the current shrinkage rate, eventually I'll know there is really a problem when I get to the runway's end and still haven't lifted off!

However, there is one aspect of my shrinking AirBike that I have recently been able to compensate for. The control stick. As the plane shrunk, the control stick got closer to the seat which caused a decreased amount of aft stick movement! This is serious because it is more difficult to make a landing flare with only partial stick. I actually have to lean to one side to get the stick back far enough to touch down gently!

Perhaps some of you who have been flying the same plane for a number of years are experiencing a similar unique shrinking phenomenon? Fortunately, I have come up with a solution that you might want to utilize if you also have a shrinking plane.

My solution? I made an offset control stick to replace the original straight stick. Starting with a wooden model to verify the design intent, I then duplicated it in tubular steel. The photos and their titles serve as captions for the process. Recently, I installed the offset control stick and am pleased with its increased movement. I now have more elevator travel and am looking forward to its behavior when flying.

I sure hope this shrinking phenomenon doesn't affect the new stick, if it does, it could get so short that it loses effective leverage! My wife mentioned that my having gained 70# since building my AirBike in 1998 may have some effect. But then, what does she know about airplanes?

Paul Fiebich

Not having all the necessary manufacturing skills myself, I needed to rely on friends to do the welding and machining. Thanks Tom and Steve!

Sorry, the photos didn't come out in the order I had intended. The drawing is right out of the AirBike plans.

Attachment: control_stick_2_etlb___7557.jpg
Size: 48.86 KB

Attachment: completed_wood_model_etlb___5193.jpg
Size: 45.78 KB

Attachment: wood_prototype_and_bent_tube_etlb__4543.jpg
Size: 51.89 KB

Attachment: two_attach_holes_etlb__8481.jpg
Size: 60.32 KB

Attachment: completed_offset_control_stick_etlb__481.jpg
Size: 43.70 KB

Attachment: control_stick_installed_etlb__6138.jpg
Size: 70.21 KB

Attachment: orienting_slot_position_etlb__7658.jpg
Size: 58.96 KB

Attachment: tom_holmes_preparing_to_install_cutter_etlb__6289.jpg
Size: 81.28 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
flydog
February 11, 2019, 7:22pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
you are not alone Paul

Attachment: airbike2_4337.jpg
Size: 65.06 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
tomshep
February 11, 2019, 8:11pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Told you not to tumble dry it. I have the same problem but find the reach to the stick too far. Short arms, I guess. I am thinking of moving the stick back an inch.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
Bob Hoskins
February 11, 2019, 9:50pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey;
You Guys are a HOOT, LOL. You know Paul, "where there is a will, there is a way". Great stuff.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
fiebichpv
February 12, 2019, 2:46pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Thanks for the reminder Ace, I did forget not to tumble dry it. Also I thought the plane was "Sanforized" (remember that term?) which it wasn't, hence it shrunk. Hey, I like the model plane, any idea who built it and where? Attached are some photos of an AirBike model a friend built, flew and then donated it to the Kansas Aviation Museum to be displayed in my classroom. I think this one must have been left out in the rain as it REALLY shrunk!!!
Paul

Attachment: forward_and_above_view_etlb__3761.jpg
Size: 68.25 KB

Attachment: aft_and_above_view_etlb___1904.jpg
Size: 72.58 KB

Attachment: pilot__etlb__1739.jpg
Size: 70.10 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
flydog
February 12, 2019, 9:57pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
I just stole pic off the internet. Looks like he is in N.H.
http://www.nhflyingmisfits.org/planes/willie/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
joe.scalet
February 13, 2019, 12:48am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
Paul:
I have the a double problem, my stick did not have enough forward movement, my belly restricted up travel. I'm thinking adding canard surfaces (A La Long EZ) might be the way to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
The Termite
February 13, 2019, 10:49am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Sounds like some of you guys have a "dickie-do" problem...............
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
PUFF
February 13, 2019, 12:40pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
lMAO!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating