Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  cabin heat for dummies, including me Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

cabin heat for dummies, including me  This thread currently has 442 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gyrojeffro
January 29, 2019, 3:03am Report to Moderator
Guest User
If I come out tail heavy this will be one of my top mods to "add weight" If I'm wrong just chime in and correct me. There are four ways to add cabin heating, forced air muffler heating from a wrap. tapping into the radiator, forced air cooling from the cylinder head of the engine and drawing from a battery, I'm not gonna talk about the last option cause that is just stupid. All of that heat has to be controlled from a damper box that vents the air outside if its not used to heat the cabin. There is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning by tapping into the muffler for heat. here is how challenger aircraft draws heat from the cylinder heads. http://ultralightnews.ca/challenger_accessories/challenger_incabinheat.htm

Attachment: 0804000a_2968.jpg
Size: 185.39 KB

tomshep
January 29, 2019, 6:48am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
If it comes out heavy, add weight somewhere else. There is something you don't get here. Recover the tail in Oratex.
The CO risk is the very reason to heat electrically. UK Maxer's have for twenty years used the 1A current draw requirement to power electric insoles.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
LSaupe
January 29, 2019, 10:20am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
I have used liquid heat (from a 582) and it worked fantastic (easy to control and remained stable through the flight envelope). Tried the exhaust can wrap idea, but found the heat output would quickly vary with power setting (no thermal storage capacity: i.e. cold descents and hot take offs if you will).

We have Challenger folks using the system you mention and they love it. However, they are also running fan cooled birds to help drive the flow (even air flow on the engine and sealed from the CO areas of the exhaust).

With your free air, you have a bit of a snag there.  If you duct around it all (or near it) you could restrict flow and create hot spots on the engine or worse.  Maybe you could duct it (from a safe distance away with a pulling fan) but then again you are in CO territory.  Just my 2 cents worth anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 13
aeronut
January 29, 2019, 11:51am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Battery operated sox; they take a 9 volt battery.  Buy two pair, use one pair for your feet and one pair for your hands. Or wait for global warming to kick in.They make those chemical heat packets, make a vest with lots of pockets for a whole bunch of packets and wear the vest next to your skin with a coat over them. Move to Australia in our winter cause it is their summer.  

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
joe.scalet
January 29, 2019, 4:26pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
I just park my AirBike anytime it is below 70 F.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
ITman496
January 29, 2019, 4:33pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
I have to duct my free air cooling (As due to the position of the redrive pulley on my Kawi 440, it will not actually get much cooling). I am thinking of putting a baffle in to allow me to send some of that air to the inside of the plane instead of spilling off the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
gyrojeffro
January 30, 2019, 3:51am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from aeronut
Battery operated sox; they take a 9 volt battery.  Buy two pair, use one pair for your feet and one pair for your hands. Or wait for global warming to kick in.They make those chemical heat packets, make a vest with lots of pockets for a whole bunch of packets and wear the vest next to your skin with a coat over them. Move to Australia in our winter cause it is their summer.  

Brilliant, global warming powered heating, I can make myself feel good while doing nothing!
E-mail Reply: 6 - 13
tomshep
January 30, 2019, 11:03am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Or just burn more fuel in an overweight aeroplane. Your choice, of course.
, But the energy you need to dissipate to make the regulator work is twelve watts that would warm your feet. But that would be stupid.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
LSaupe
January 30, 2019, 11:18am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Before I added cabin heat I just used the "Hot Hands" hand warmers and foot warmers (dry chem stuff).  Works great.  Also had a friend make it home once when he started getting carb ice on his 447 with Bing.  Strapped a few "Hot Hands" around the carb and it did a great job.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 13
aeronut
January 30, 2019, 1:51pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Ask those people in Minnesota this morning. I will bet they will tell you where to go to find a little heat. And right now. LOL.  The coldest that I have ever worked outdoors in was -38F. I defiantly would have told you where to go for a little heat that day. That is why I am in Florida today.  

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
The Termite
January 30, 2019, 2:17pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
If your 447 or 503 is fan cooled,  you can get a heater kit from Uflyit   for $175.

http://www.uflyit.com/heater.htm
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
LSaupe
January 31, 2019, 10:39am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
These guys have some good ideas to stay warm as well.  I know it deviates from your CG portion of the discussion though, but might be of benefit to some.

http://ppcflyingforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10973

I know several folks who use these will good success:

http://ppcflyingforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6985
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
fiebichpv
January 31, 2019, 2:03pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Before I add cabin heat to my AirBike, I would need to add a cabin.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 12 - 13
gyrojeffro
February 2, 2019, 5:01am Report to Moderator
Guest User
If you add cabin heat to your airbike you have went full blown nut  job. No chocalte butt holes.for you!  If you do it anyway your a rebel
E-mail Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment