Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Lord engine mounts vs lord engine mounts Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Lord engine mounts vs lord engine mounts  This thread currently has 266 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gyrojeffro
January 24, 2019, 4:07am Report to Moderator
Guest User
gyrojeffro
January 24, 2019, 4:18am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I am familiar with the Barry mounts, George said the lord mounts made his rotax 277 vibrate less
E-mail Reply: 1 - 7
LSaupe
January 24, 2019, 10:24am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
I had a set of these (4) on my 582 power Kitfox and they did a great job.  LORD has more info on their website or you can talk with an application engineer.  Many options for damping (durometer, oil filled, springs and combinations thereof) to minimized the shock and vibration transmitted.   They would need to know frequencies, amplitudes and thrust loads to best optimize.  Might at least be worth getting a response curve for the mounts of interest to see over what range they perform best.

https://www.lord.com/industries/aerospace-and-defense/fixed-wing

When I was flying PPC's, they (Blue Heron) optimized a system using double isolation (a set of mounts on on the engine plate to a second engine plate (actually beams), and a set between the beams and the air frame.  Did an amazing job.  Wish I could still find the article on it.  It was in Ultralight Flying Magazine in the early 2000's and showed the development effort and reductions realized.

You can kinda see it here on my old machine:

[IMG]http://s733.photobucket.com/user/LSaupe/media/PPC/DSCN6155.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8[IMG][/URL]

[IMG]http://s733.photobucket.com/user/LSaupe/media/PPC/DSCN6154.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9[IMG][/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
gyrojeffro
January 26, 2019, 3:36am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I am confused on how the lord mounts work, looks like four outer mounting holes and one main center hole.
E-mail Reply: 3 - 7
LSaupe
January 26, 2019, 12:19pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Yes, that is correct.  The center hole is bolted to your airframe, and the perimeter (outer 4) are bolted to the engine plate.  Relative motion is between the center hole and perimeter.   Your main clearance hole is diameter of the outer rubber circle if you will.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
LSaupe
January 26, 2019, 12:30pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Here is a similar type of pic (replace the Rotax side mount bracket shown here with whatever bracket/plate you are using).  This particular install has a similar Lord mount (but with two holes vice 4) on the perimeter.  However, your first Lord link is the style you may be used to compared to the Barry mounts. (which is used my my PPC images)

[/URL]

[/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
gyrojeffro
January 27, 2019, 3:57am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks my friend, in your opinion should I use the Barry mounts or the lord mounts? Should I trust in the lord or trust in you?
E-mail Reply: 6 - 7
LSaupe
January 27, 2019, 12:38pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Personal preference would be the Lord mount.  However, looking at the response curves and load capacity of both could help make up your mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Lord engine mounts vs lord engine mounts

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment