Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  bowed wing spars Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

bowed wing spars  This thread currently has 241 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
January 23, 2019, 8:35pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I had stacked a set of spars up in the rafters, properly I would have thought.  They were supported in three places in the eleven or so feet of span, they were vertical, and they were sitting on the square bottom cap in both cases rather than on the top caps which are beveled.  Over time, maybe a year and a half, they have bowed, not in the vertical, but rather the other way, I would say two or three inches.  To try and straighten them, I have placed them on my workbench with the ends elevated and weights in the middles to force it into a bow the opposite way, in the hopes that they would go back to an unbowed condition.  A couple of weeks has had little to no progress.  Water/moisture is what comes to mind, have not done that yet.  I believe it would be correct to moisten the side you want to expand thus pushing the bow out of the spars.  Anyone have experience in this realm?
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message
tomshep
January 24, 2019, 11:52am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Perhaps that has already happened. A couple of it heat lamps, gently warming the convex side might dry it out and, over a week make a measurable difference. Were they untreated? If so, they may have set permanently.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
tomshep
January 24, 2019, 11:53am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Either way, don't hurry.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
Bob Daly
January 24, 2019, 10:03pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Will the compression ribs and drag braces push or pull them straight? And the ply D box will permanently fix them that way.  If they straighten easily with a little weight as you described I wouldn't worry about it.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
kfb
January 25, 2019, 2:58am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
I think it falls in the category of "assembly will straighten it out", I will continue to leave the weight sitting on it for another week or so and then move ahead.  Thank you.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment