Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  503 problems Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

503 problems  This thread currently has 495 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Roger D Gunderson
January 13, 2019, 12:52pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 11 days 8 hours 35 minutes
My buddy has a 503 spitting fuel out of both carbs at idle and midrange we are thinking bad rings, what do you guys think?
Logged Offline
Private Message
texasbuzzard
January 13, 2019, 1:32pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
If you’re talking about the throat of the carbs then small amounts of fuel will spit out due to timing of the intake port. If the engine runs fine off of idle then it is probably not a problem. A compression tester will validate the rings. Might also check the fuel level in the carb bowl as the floats have a tendency to get saturated and create a rich mixture.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 20
Roger D Gunderson
January 13, 2019, 1:44pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
65 pounds on compression test.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 20
texasbuzzard
January 13, 2019, 2:03pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Should be over 80. Time for re-ring.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 20
tomshep
January 13, 2019, 6:12pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
You will find the extra power you get from a re ring on the first take off run. The difference is astonishing.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 20
Roger D Gunderson
January 14, 2019, 11:44am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 20
LSaupe
January 16, 2019, 11:03am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Even 80 to me would be low.  More like 100-120 is what I have seen in the past.

But, automotive type of compression tester or leak down tester?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 20
Roger D Gunderson
January 16, 2019, 11:46am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Automotive
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 20
LSaupe
January 17, 2019, 10:03am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Yep, way low then (as leak-down type can read lower).  Anticipate over 100 once you re-ring.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 20
texasbuzzard
January 17, 2019, 12:59pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
to re-ring an engine some other checks need to be done. the cylinders need to be checked with a bore micrometer for concentricy at the top and bottom along with a hone to establish a cross-hatch pattern to seat the new rings. pistons need to be de-carbonized and checked for wear on the skirts and dome.

monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 20
radfordc
January 18, 2019, 3:51pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
You didn't say how many hours are on the engine.  I'm assuming that if the rings are worn out that the engine is high time.  You might be money ahead by sending the engine to a reliable service center and have a complete "zero time" overhaul done.  The cost is usually about $500 for labor plus parts...maybe $2500 total.

https://dealerlocator.flyrotax.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 20
tomshep
January 18, 2019, 5:23pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Why? Rings don't do more than 150 hours, if that. The crank will comfortably exceed Long John Rotax's  300 hours. Provided that the bearings are still within tolerance (which is easy to check,) there is nothing wrong with glaze busting the bore and fitting new rings.
The likelihood of engine failure is much reduced because there is less risk of ring breakage, bore wash or plug fouling and the power will increase. Done properly (and there is no reason to expect otherwise,) it will improve the engine greatly.
I would fit a new float lever, needle, main jet and needle at the same time, just to set the engine's calibration back to stock.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 20
gyrojeffro
January 19, 2019, 2:40am Report to Moderator
Guest User
has the carburetor been disassembled? sounds like a carburetor issue to me, find a bing carb assembly manual and carefully study it.
E-mail Reply: 12 - 20
tomshep
January 19, 2019, 7:57am Report to Moderator
Ace
I fail to understand hot that could affect both carbs and result in low compression. The OP is almost certainly right.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 20
radfordc
January 19, 2019, 8:31pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from tomshep
Why? Rings don't do more than 150 hours, if that.

I did not know that.  I put way over 150 hours on a Rotax with no tear down.  A guy I know ran his 503 over 1000 hours with no tear down ever....until the crank finally failed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 20
tomshep
January 19, 2019, 8:49pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Rings are the hardest worked part of a two stroke. Firstly they get rubbing friction rather than rotation. Secondly they stop and start twice per revolution. Thirdly they get hot exhaust gases on just one part of the ring and lastly they wear at different rates around the circumference. Give a well run two stroke a new set of rings and a glaze bust and you'll see the power come back up nicely both from better sealing and from less tilt of the piston which, even if it isn't contacting the bore still has to be "switched" from one side to the other as the rod goes over centre.
If you reckon on 5000 RPM, in 300 hours, those rings have been dragged sideways for just under 7,000 miles.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 20
radfordc
January 20, 2019, 3:32am Report to Moderator

Ace
Interesting that the Rotax service manual doesn't agree with you about ring replacement at 150 hours. They require inspection and cleaning, but no mandatory parts replacement until 300 hours.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 20
Max SSDR
January 20, 2019, 5:25pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
I'm a qualified Rotax tech, have been since '89 (whatever that means!) and I've always replaced 'on condition'. Much depends on how the engine is used, type of oil etc. Bore ovality and ring gap and ring groove condition all play a part in WHEN to replace. If Rotax have a mandatory time for any component, then warranty and liability come in to it but in practice, especially with motors that are no longer supported then good engineering practice should apply.

I have found from experience that the 50 hr de-coke is a GOOD idea. I tried letting a 582 go to 150 hrs once just out of interest but the rings were sticky or stuck. At 50 hours that generally isn't the case.

Invest in a bore micrometer and check the shape and tolerance at each 50hr de-coke as well as measuring ring gaps (you do remove the rings from the pistons at this time don't you?  ). My advice anyway  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 20
radfordc
January 21, 2019, 9:29pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Max SSDR
I'm a qualified Rotax tech, have been since '89 (whatever that means!) and I've always replaced 'on condition'.

Is it quite common for rings to be worn out and needing replacement at 150 hours?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 20
gyrojeffro
January 22, 2019, 4:20am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Qualified rotax reps gotta eat
E-mail Reply: 19 - 20
Max SSDR
January 22, 2019, 10:13pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
Quoted from radfordc

Is it quite common for rings to be worn out and needing replacement at 150 hours?

No not really. As I say, depends on how they have been treated. I'd never have earned a living from servicing Rotax, it was a hobby really and I charged around 40% of my normal hourly consultancy rates!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 20
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment