Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  lithium starter batteries Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

lithium starter batteries  This thread currently has 298 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
gyrojeffro
January 13, 2019, 2:29am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Whats the deal with lithium batteries, supposedly 1/3 the weight of a lead acid battery but from what I have read the battery needs a special charger if it has been deep discharged. From what I have read the lithium iron batteries are the most user friendly.

Attachment: index_2166.jpg
Size: 10.13 KB

radfordc
January 13, 2019, 3:33am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
I have an EarthX lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) for my Rotax 503 starter.  It charges correctly using the 503's built in alternator and a Key West regulator/rectifier.  EarthX batteries have a built in battery management system that lets them work with any normal charger that provides between 13.5 and 14.6 volts.  The weight of a lithium battery is 70% less than a lead acid battery (about 1/6 the weight).  The only downside to lithium is that they are very expensive.

https://earthxbatteries.com/our-batteries/lithium-battery-technology
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
gyrojeffro
January 13, 2019, 3:55am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks rad, anytime you say the word aviation, there is a loud cha Ching sound. I found a lithium iron battery for $55. 6 ah batt that weighs 1 pound.
E-mail Reply: 2 - 13
tomshep
January 13, 2019, 8:13am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS WITH THE STANDARD ROTAX REGULATOR. Within an hour, the battery destroyed itself and the electrical system in my Max. The battery, fitted under my seat melted and failed before it caught fire, fortunately. I have gone back to a sealed lead acid.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
ninelima
January 13, 2019, 12:09pm Report to Moderator

Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours 16 minutes
For what it is worth, I have had truly excellent value from a Ballistic EVO2 battery with a Limbach engine.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
radfordc
January 14, 2019, 3:29pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Quoted from tomshep
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS WITH THE STANDARD ROTAX REGULATOR. Within an hour, the battery destroyed itself and the electrical system in my Max. The battery, fitted under my seat melted and failed before it caught fire, fortunately. I have gone back to a sealed lead acid.

You must not use a plain lithium iron or lithium iron phosphate battery with a normal charging system.  They require a special battery management system to both charge the cells to the proper voltage and to balance the cells so that all have the same voltage.  Overcharging a lithium iron battery leads to overheating and melt down.  Luckily, lithium iron batteries don't often explode and catch fire like lithium polymer (cell phone battery!) ones.

The EarthX batteries have a BMS built into the battery case and are safe to use with a charging system providing 13.5 to 14.6 volts.  Mine works with a Rotax 503 and a Key West regulator/rectifier.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
texasbuzzard
January 14, 2019, 4:01pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
i run a aerovoltz Li-fe and a key west regulator with no problems. i did purchase the special charger to balance the cells once a month but the regulator maintains the voltage.

monte p  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 13
gyrojeffro
January 15, 2019, 2:22am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I suspect most of the problems come from when the voltage is ran way down, and that is when you need a "special charger". I appears earthx batteries do have circuitry built in for any charging system including typical lead acid chargers.
E-mail Reply: 7 - 13
joe.scalet
January 15, 2019, 4:08am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
If your LiFePo battery has a built in charge controller you can use almost any 12 volt charging system EXCEPT those that put out a periodic voltage spike to prevent  or retard sulfating of the Lead Acid battery plates.  These chargers are usually the higher end 12 volt charger systems, with out a detailed spec sheet or possibly an oscilloscope its hard to tell if your charger is emitting these spikes. The spike will destroy your charge controller and the battery!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 13
tomshep
January 15, 2019, 12:08pm Report to Moderator
Ace
The Rotax regulator is a porcupine in this respect and I can confirm that it destroys LiFePO4 batteries.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
texasbuzzard
January 15, 2019, 5:17pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
here is the instructions i received with my battery:

Aerovoltz Batteries are very different in chemistry
and construction from a traditional lead acid
battery. Aerovoltz Batteries do not require regular
maintenance charging and will only lose less than 10%
of their total charge over a (12) month period of static
use. They are compatible with your vehicle’s charging
system and can be used in a “total loss” application.
Any automotive or motorcycle based charger is
acceptable to recharge your Aerovoltz Battery as
long as it has a auto-shut off at 14.4v to prevent over
charging. If you are a using an automatic charger, be
sure that it is not used in a automatic desulfication
mode designed for lead-acid batteries, this can damag
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
tomshep
January 15, 2019, 8:41pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Yes. An oscilloscope on the output of the regulator is a truly horrifying trace. Voltage control is almost non existent and the spikes go up to very high voltages. The recommended capacitor makes little difference.
I would start with a bridge rectifier working into 12 Ohms 50Watts in parallel with
10,000 microfarads at 63 Volts then a variable TO-3 regulator IC set up to 14.2 Volts at 20 degrees Celsius.. Mount the regulator close to the battery. Across the generator terminals, put 22NF 400V to knock the spike energy down a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
Stilson
January 15, 2019, 10:07pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
Haven't ran any numbers, just spitballing an idea, would a small line reactor level it out? (In my experience it makes a world of difference on long run 480V 3phase surge/inrush current peaks, MAYBE it could do the same assuming it's a rectified alternating charging system if placed before the bridge rectifier)
Private Message Reply: 12 - 13
ITman496
January 15, 2019, 11:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
Yeah, I really need to sit down and stick a scope on my charging system and see how bad it is..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment