Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Airbike wing kits? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Airbike wing kits?  This thread currently has 279 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
13brv3
January 5, 2019, 1:23am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 6 hours 25 minutes
Greetings,

Continuing my quest for info regarding building an Airbike, I was curious about the wings.  I've read that they're very similar, if not the same as the MiniMax wings.   Are they close enough that you could buy a wing kit for one of the Max variants, and have virtually all the materials you need?  If so, which Max kit would be the closest?

I see rib kits, and wing sub-kits listed.  Do you need both, or does the wing sub-kit also include the rib material as well?  I'm assuming you need both.  

Is there a significant amount of money to be saved by sourcing the material yourself, as opposed to buying a kit?  I figure they get a lot better price on the wood than I could, so it might not be that much different in price.  I'd probably rather give TEAM the profit if possible.  

I know JLA appears to sell kits, but so far they haven't replied to my inquiries, and from what I've read, that seems common.  

Thanks,
Rusty (information pest)
Logged Offline
Private Message
cameron
January 7, 2019, 1:36pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 7 hours 1 minutes
The spars are where the difference is. I am just building per plans from raw stock from Spruce

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
Bob Daly
January 7, 2019, 3:38pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Quoted from 13brv3
   Are they close enough that you could buy a wing kit for one of the Max variants, and have virtually all the materials you need?  If so, which Max kit would be the closest?

Look at the geometry of the lift trusses and the wing loading.  If they are similar, this could work.

Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
13brv3
January 7, 2019, 5:28pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Thanks for the comments.  It sounds like it's not just plug-n-play then.  I'm still deciding if I want to pursue this, and this info help.  

Cheers,
Rusty
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
cdlwingnut
January 7, 2019, 11:29pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
you don't need a kit, in fact the kit wont be much different than scratch building it. source some wood either douglas fir or spruce or just order the sizes you need from ACS or wicks, if you use douglas fir, ask for fir flooring you should find some good stuff.

plywood can be ordered from either ACS or wicks too. the metal brackets for the piet were easy.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
13brv3
January 7, 2019, 11:54pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Thanks.  OK, so If I do this, I'll just order the materials.  Now I just have to decide if this is what I want to do.  

Cheers,
Rusty
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment