Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  dual elevator cables Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

dual elevator cables  This thread currently has 292 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
textailwinds
December 29, 2018, 10:06pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 3 hours 17 minutes
Is it worth considering dual elevator cables in the HiMax? I saw the Team MiniMax modification, and thought that if it hasn't been a problem. Then why worry about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
December 30, 2018, 3:14pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
It depends on your current level of risk comfort with the current elevator control system via boat cable on the elevator. A failure could very likely be fatal.In Great Britain the governing body will not sign off on a single cable system; this is my understanding of their rules. I am not being critical of this. Mr Bugaboo Bruce went to great lengths during his build to put in a push rod control system for the elevator and I would recommend that you review his system. I think that he is to be praised for the detail that he went to during his build.It is up to you.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
radfordc
December 30, 2018, 8:05pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
There are documented cases of the cables failing.  Makes sense to have a redundant system if possible.  Or, a more reliable system such as push rods.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
beragoobruce
December 30, 2018, 8:30pm Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
It is the case that the UK authority insisted on dual elevator cables.  Whether you feel comfortable with a single system is a personal 'comfort zone' thing.  I didn't like the idea of cable control, so installed a pushrod & torque tube system. This works well and feels very positive in flight.

Thread here FYI:     http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1430015479/s-0/

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
gyrojeffro
December 31, 2018, 2:32am Report to Moderator
Guest User
For added redundancy you can install cockpit controlled elevator pitch control with push pull tube, just make sure you install a big enough tab so you can get some flare authority.  
E-mail Reply: 4 - 6
gyrojeffro
December 31, 2018, 2:49am Report to Moderator
Guest User
How to land an airplane without aileron or elevator controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqPFfTRn5So
E-mail Reply: 5 - 6
textailwinds
December 31, 2018, 4:47pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 1 days 3 hours 17 minutes
Thanks to all for your input.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating