Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Flexion of wings Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Flexion of wings  This thread currently has 302 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jglassfnp
December 17, 2018, 9:46pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hey guys , I am working on vmax wings and after compression members and drag diagonals placed pretty much done except the front rib plywood web, I decide to feel the wing up and put some twisting force on it, I was surprised at the flexion of this, of course I know it shouldn't be completely rigid but I have never handled a max wing before, and I know after mounted with the struts supporting this will decrease flexion even more , so I guess I just need to here someone else who has had a max in the air describe to me how much flexion is normal versus (dude your wings going to explode in the air) lol   Thanks for input  J.
Bob Hoskins
December 17, 2018, 9:59pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hi
If you have built the wings according to the prints, what you feel is normal. When you complete the "D" section leading edge, most of the flex will be gone. Add the finished fabric, wing struts and you have a heck of a wing.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
jglassfnp
December 17, 2018, 10:14pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks bob! I think your right and the designer put years of input and experience into the plans so ... and I haven't deviated from exact instruction. Thanks for your input.  J
E-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Bob Hoskins
December 18, 2018, 1:20am Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey
You b welcome, anytime.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Bob Daly
December 18, 2018, 4:27pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
The struts react all wing torsion. The 'D' tube does its bit as well but not primarily torsion, more for main spar bending.
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Keith103
December 19, 2018, 4:51am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Totally agree with Bob. Most of the flexing will disappear after the leading edge is wrapped with plywood. If you lift one corner of wing after that, you may still find about an inch or two of flexing at the corner.

I also tried bolting down the wing to my workbench at the 4 points where wing is attached to the airplane ( by clamping down the root rib, and also clamping down the wing at rib #5 (?) where struts attach ). Then I tried lifting a corner of the wing tip. It flexed very little.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
jglassfnp
December 21, 2018, 7:07pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
thanks guys good info. j
E-mail Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment