Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Piano hinge for rudder assembly Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

Piano hinge for rudder assembly  This thread currently has 372 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
iac249
December 10, 2018, 12:31am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 hours 52 minutes
I'm scratch building my Max 1500 and was wondering about the piano hinge used for rudder assembly. I should probably just buy it from TEAM as I'd like to give them some support, but I also have inexpensive access to the proper sized hinge in 1008 cold rolled steel. Any issues with just going with this? I'd assume treat it first to ward off corrosion.

Also, any concern about the pin working its way out? I've found no instructions on treating the pins after cutting the hinge to ensure it is secured and won't "fall out" at some point (I imagine it would be a pre-flight checklist item to inspect).

Thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
bigbrixx1
December 10, 2018, 2:00pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 20 days 16 hours
I like to support Dave as much as possible. He is always there to support us. Personally I would purchase from him. That being said once the hinges are cut . You remove the pin. Then replace it with a hinge pin that is drilled for an cotter pin. Also available from Dave. No way it’s coming out. Also Cold rolled steel will rust and ruin your finish. I believe my factory supplied hinge material was stainless steel.
B-πŸ‘πŸ‘

V-max. Finished. Now in phase one flight
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
iac249
December 11, 2018, 3:38am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
I agree; that seems the best option all the way around. I'll just order from Dave.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
jglassfnp
December 17, 2018, 8:02pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I would go with the recommendations, that hinge is laid into cut out grooves and once there it needs to stay corrosion free. I primer every piece of metal on my plane with zink primer to prevent corrosion. Unless its the same thing , the piano hinge may be stainless, make sure its heavy duty enough for that application, remember any joint of motion is a potential fail point, I wouldn't drive a car with a thread rod for a steering rod and a car can stop on the side of the road, there is zero room for error in the air.
E-mail Reply: 3 - 5
joe.scalet
December 18, 2018, 1:22am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
I built a John Monnet designed Monerai (see my avatar). He recommended a 90 degree bend in the hinge pin rod on one end. The bend was safety wired to the structure, very simple and lite. That said, Monnet's hinges were rolled and the individual hinge  rolls were not welded. Real aircraft hinges were extruded or welded. Probably not necessary on an ultralight. See:

https://www.google.com/search?.....mgrc=mbAO-0-qT4eWZM:

to see how the wing sections are attached to the spar on a Beechcraft Bonanza. You really don't want these to unroll at the hinge point.

Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
iac249
December 20, 2018, 5:12am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Thanks!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print