Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  How "large" can a Himax Pilot be? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

How "large" can a Himax Pilot be?  This thread currently has 223 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
bigblockz8
November 30, 2018, 12:11am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 4 days 13 hours 42 minutes
Hey folks! I am selling my 40hp Himax to a gentleman that is 6ft 4in. Is anybody of a similar height able to fit into the Himax? I am 5ft 8in and never had issue, but I am much shorter.

This gentleman is also ~230lbs. This leaves him with ~10-15lbs of fuel. Does anybody operate 10-15lbs over max on 40hp? I know that the gross on an experimental is basically a strongly recommended "suggestion" but it is set for good reason. Is there a significant structural danger to doing so?

I will say that I have been guilty of this 3 times in a C172's and a PA28R where I knew an extra 15lbs (always well within the CG envelope) on a good sized runway was not a huge risk. I am not condoning, nor will I encourage/suggest for him to do so. I am curious because I know the temptation is an easy decision for a new buyer and new pilot.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bob Daly
November 30, 2018, 2:53am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
Regarding being over gross.  The Himax was designed to comply with FAR Part23 utility category load limits. The normal category load limit won't be exceeded until one is 88 lbs over the design gross weight.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
PUFF
November 30, 2018, 12:33pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Look at the Load envelopes. You won't make utility category, but might make Normal, provided you read the chart correctly.
What does the weight and balance look like?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment