Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  How "large" can a Himax Pilot be? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

How "large" can a Himax Pilot be?  This thread currently has 368 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
bigblockz8
November 30, 2018, 12:11am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 4 days 13 hours 42 minutes
Hey folks! I am selling my 40hp Himax to a gentleman that is 6ft 4in. Is anybody of a similar height able to fit into the Himax? I am 5ft 8in and never had issue, but I am much shorter.

This gentleman is also ~230lbs. This leaves him with ~10-15lbs of fuel. Does anybody operate 10-15lbs over max on 40hp? I know that the gross on an experimental is basically a strongly recommended "suggestion" but it is set for good reason. Is there a significant structural danger to doing so?

I will say that I have been guilty of this 3 times in a C172's and a PA28R where I knew an extra 15lbs (always well within the CG envelope) on a good sized runway was not a huge risk. I am not condoning, nor will I encourage/suggest for him to do so. I am curious because I know the temptation is an easy decision for a new buyer and new pilot.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
PUFF
December 19, 2018, 1:43pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I've flown my Hi Max at gross. I was 225# and am 6'0". Have you done the weight and balance calculations to see what category it will fall into? Mine fell into the Standard category for weight an balance, instead of utility. Utility is for the lighter folks.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
nitrobill
December 22, 2018, 6:08pm Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 17 minutes
I sent you a PM
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
PUFF
January 2, 2019, 1:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes