Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Plansbuilt or kitbuilt Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Plansbuilt or kitbuilt  This thread currently has 318 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Ricardo
November 14, 2018, 3:31pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
In the US a Minimax is considered as plansbuilt or as Kitbuilt
If an award would be given at Oshkosh in what category would it be?
Thanks for your input.
Logged Offline
Private Message
aeronut
November 15, 2018, 7:12pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
I think that if one built from TEAM'S many forms of kits the plane would have to be as a kit built. But if the builder only bought the plans from TEAM or another individual and sourced his materials from vendors other than TEAM the aircraft could be considered a plans built aircraft. Any way you call it, it is a fun endeavor.And you get to fly it.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
Ricardo
November 15, 2018, 10:23pm Report to Moderator

Videos in UTube: ral1951
Ace
Time Online: 75 days 23 hours 15 minutes
When you buy a kit you get all the parts to assemble the plane, when you buy a "kit" from Minimax you get the materials to build the parts and then you assemble.
If you buy  Minimax plans only , you have to buy the same materials  and most likely will end up with more than necessary. Cutting the wood would be an additional work.
I just don't know how the EAA rates it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
LSaupe
November 16, 2018, 1:17am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Yeah, guess it depends on the qualifying definition (if there is one).  I built a Kitfox, which was a 'kit", and most of the hard work was already done (like the airframe, tail feathers, brake tubes, elevator and aileron controls and gear).  It was more assembly and very little fabrication.  As such you didnt have drawings, but an assembly and rigging manual.  Minimax has a high fabrication component (sans the few weldments and fiberglass work), which requires a complete set of detailed drawings (plans).  So... my "guess" would be plans-built, as you need a set of plans to build it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
Tom
November 16, 2018, 10:40am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
I think what it amounts to is what category you entered in.  There is no reason why you couldn't enter in either the plans built or kit built category, given that you make a very large percentage of the "parts" yourself from raw materials either way.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
nathan.bissonette
November 16, 2018, 1:52pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 9 hours 13 minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
aeronut
November 16, 2018, 5:46pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
I guess that the Max kits are considered materials packages and not kits cause I could not find any listing in the literature. Thanks Nathan .

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment