Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Wood Screws Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Wood Screws  This thread currently has 178 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
iac249
November 7, 2018, 1:08am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 hours 52 minutes
Hopefully this is a simple question. When assembling the empennage, the AN366F-1032 anchor nuts are fastened to the assembly with wood screws. I have some brass ones that are the proper size, but I'm unsure if they are fit for purpose. I'm cautious to mix metals and want to confirm the brass won't react with the anchor nut metal and also to make sure they are strong enough.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tom
November 7, 2018, 1:10pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
Brass will react with steel, essentially depending on humidity or other sources of moisture and especially in "salt" air near the water.  Further steel screws will tend to react with the acids in the wood and rust, if it gets started, can expand and split the wood.  I would use stainless steel round head wood screws set in epoxy to protect the wood.  That is probably the least reactive choice.  Another really good option are the anchor nuts available from "Clickbond" clickbond.com and theflightshop.com  These are designed to be glued in place which avoids all these problems and also leaves the wood a little stronger.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
iac249
November 8, 2018, 3:56am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 hours 52 minutes
Thanks, Tom.

I believe the anchor nuts I have are cadmium-coated steel. I'll see if I can't locate the stainless screws and try them instead along with epoxy.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment