Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Parking of a MiniMax Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Parking of a MiniMax  This thread currently has 819 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
ITman496
October 27, 2018, 5:16am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
So I'm at the point now where I have to start figuring out how this is all gonna work.

Hangars are expensive, as you all know. So that's kind of out.. For now.

Does anyone have any experience storing their plane outside?  I seem to read things after doing my research that lie on both sides of the camp.  Some say its fine, they did it for years, aircraft handled rain snow sun wind no problem tied down in the worst most awful conditions possible. Others say that any minor storm will tear an ultralight to shreds.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get some kind of enclosed trailer to fold the aircraft into at the end of every flight and leave the trailer at the airport.  I'm limited in trailer choice, as for one I don't want to spend twice as much on the trailer as I did on the whole dang plane, and also I have a Subaru Outback, and I don't want to buy an entire truck JUST to occasionally move the plane.  I can handle about 2000lbs all up weight, so I'm thinking maybe a 16 foot utility trailer with some light weight walls/roof?  I've seen them go relatively inexpensively on craigslist.

What is your thoughts, and what do you do when you don't have a hangar?  Can I just invest in some really nice tarps and covers and sandbags and just park the plane, wings off and beside it, in its spot and call it a day?  My main goal is to be able to leave it in a state that I don't have to worry and run to the airport every time a decent sized storm rolls through the area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
bobnafe
October 27, 2018, 11:05am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 17 days 7 hours 38 minutes
ITman,  The situation I had was very much like yours.  The resolve was to get a light weight 16' single axle trailer, very used.  Added a 2' extension to the end and 1' extensions to the aft side, behind the wheels.  I used HD light gauge metal home interior wall structure for all side and trailer ramp.  Roofing material for side/end/ramp. All steel pop riveted in place. Floor 1/2" ply; roof rafter light but strong wood with Corion covering.  Put 4 tie down rings on each side, to secure to earth.  Airfield approved buried anchors.  It has survived several hurricanes, interstate hwy driving, in excess of 700 miles, and the only "hangar" not broken into at our field.  Easy/light pull by Chev Astro van and small 6 cyl GMC Suv in excess of 20 years.
BobN

Attachment: trailer3_4390.jpg
Size: 95.79 KB

Attachment: trailer2_5773.jpg
Size: 53.36 KB

Attachment: trailer4_6010.jpg
Size: 50.52 KB

Attachment: trailer1_1914.jpg
Size: 55.25 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 33
nathan.bissonette
October 27, 2018, 1:51pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 9 hours 13 minutes
Best of luck to you, ITman.  I had the same question but decided against it because I live in Minnesota - winter is tough on wood and fabric.  When I asked a couple of local airports about storing a trailer, they wanted me to pay ground rent, same theory as tie-down space.  I kept looking farther out and found a guy willing to rent me space in his hanger.  It's 50 mile drive to the airport but that gives me time to mentally review my work plan!  The hardest part is standing in the hangar realizing the wrench I need is at home.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 33
ITman496
October 27, 2018, 5:12pm Report to Moderator

Ace
@bobnafe

That is EXACTLY what I want!  Wow!

Allow me to ask for clarification on a few details because it looks like I'm going to be making this:

When you say light gauge home interior structure, what do you mean? The things I see look a lot smaller then the metal studs I seem to find when I google that..

What kind of trailer was it when you started, was it a utility trailer with a big flat deck or was it like a boat trailer that you added the floor to?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 33
Greg Doe
October 27, 2018, 6:46pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
ITman496, Sounds like you have made your decision, but let me add my experience. I purchased a 19X29 ft. tarp from Harbor Freight for about $60.00. I've been using it for the last 3 months. We get a significant amount of rain in middle Tennessee which keeps us very green. I keep a close eye on the weather, and when it's forecast to rain, I cover my Max up. Otherwise it is uncovered. I flew yesterday, and then covered it, because we had rain moving in. Later today, or tomorrow I'll uncover it, and fly. The weather is starting to get a little cold for an old man (73) in an open cockpit airplane without heat, so I'll probably bring it home to my garage in another month. Last year my last flight was after Thanksgiving. I don't stake it, or use sand bags, but I "sort of" wrap it using ropes, and bungee cords, It's also tied down. Hanger space, or a hanger on wheels would be nice, but not in my budget. Since late July I've probably covered it a 10 to 12 times, The longest continuous it was covered was about 10 days. This arrangement has allowed me to fly over 50 hours (more then 70 flights) since July 25th with minimal hassle. It takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to cover it up.      
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 33
ITman496
October 27, 2018, 7:04pm Report to Moderator

Ace
@GregDoe

That is something else I want to investigate, since taking the wings off will be a pain every time.  Have you had your plane covered in high, gusting winds? How did it fare?  I'm just worried about it getting blown and damaged in winds.

I'm already at a bit of a setback, because I got a very hostile response from the airport 2 minute down the road from my house, saying they never want to see an ultralight anywhere near them.   =(

Honestly I was not expecting hostility from the aviation community, I was expecting them to act like every other hobby community I've taken part in.  So now I'm reduced to hoping I can fly from the airport 25 minutes from me, and if not that, then it's going to get very frustrating.

I still need to solve the trailer/tarp issue though, so I'll keep plugging away.  Thank you for the input!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 33
aeronut
October 27, 2018, 7:32pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Has the airport 2 miles down the road ever accepted federal funds for lights or paving or is it a private strip?

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 33
ITman496
October 27, 2018, 7:55pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I'm not sure how to find that out.  It is this airport:

https://www.airnav.com/airport/N05
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 33
aeronut
October 27, 2018, 8:29pm Report to Moderator

Ace
While the airport appears to be a nice rural airstrip it lives in a place where the airspace could be a little congested. Are you a licensed pilot ? There are airspace's that restrict the use of ultralights. They apparently have a flight school on the field. Perhaps you could take an introductory flight lesson and you could ask the instructor about the airspace restrictions ect. In this way you would be adding to their bottom line and might get a little better reception. It does appear to be private. From the movements per day I would say that you might not enjoy operating out of that airport with an ultralight. I am sure others will have different opinions .

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 33
ITman496
October 27, 2018, 8:38pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Fair enough.  I am not licensed yet but I do plan on getting a sport pilot license one day.  I will keep looking around! Maybe I can find something a little more suitable.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 33
aeronut
October 27, 2018, 8:52pm Report to Moderator

Ace
There is a EAA Ultralight Chapter called Jersey Shore Ultralights , it is UL#128 and they have a nice website that you might want to look at.Hope you find what you want.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 33
ITman496
October 27, 2018, 9:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Me too! I hope I can find somewhere near my house or workplace.  I really don't want to drive an hour just to fly, you know?  And yeah, I'm looking at that now, definitely will join.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 33
ITman496
October 28, 2018, 2:37am Report to Moderator

Ace
@aeronut

Does this airport look better? It is approximately 14 minutes from my house.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/13N

I can see that an ultralight already lives there.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 33
Greg Doe
October 28, 2018, 3:35am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
ITman496, This thread got slightly side tracked when you brought up the topic of unfriendly airports. In answer to your question about problems with the wind: no I haven't had any significant problems. Early on, when I was still working out the best way to tie the tarp down, it did blow loose from the tail. That was probably the strongest wind that I've had to deal with. Since then I've come up with improvements to my method.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 33
ITman496
October 28, 2018, 3:43am Report to Moderator

Ace
Sounds good!  I like your idea too. When I have it done, I'll weigh my options and figure out what to do from there.  I will probably tarp first and see how that works out, then make a fancy trailer later.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 33
aeronut
October 28, 2018, 2:50pm Report to Moderator

Ace
The airport manager is listed with his phone number. Give him a call or better yet stop in and have a conversation.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 33
Keith103
October 28, 2018, 4:22pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Quoted from bobnafe
ITman,  The situation I had was very much like yours.  The resolve was to get a light weight 16' single axle trailer, very used.  Added a 2' extension to the end and 1' extensions to the aft side, behind the wheels.  I used HD light gauge metal home interior wall structure for all side and trailer ramp.  Roofing material for side/end/ramp. All steel pop riveted in place. Floor 1/2" ply; roof rafter light but strong wood with Corion covering.  Put 4 tie down rings on each side, to secure to earth.  Airfield approved buried anchors.  It has survived several hurricanes, interstate hwy driving, in excess of 700 miles, and the only "hangar" not broken into at our field.  Easy/light pull by Chev Astro van and small 6 cyl GMC Suv in excess of 20 years.
BobN

Bob Nafe , I was wondering how to attach the wings on to the fuselage in case you have no help. I made a crude wooden frame to hold up the wing tip, but had to walk to the wing tip and back to the spar pin many times till I was able to align the spar pin with the slot on the fuselage. And I had to repeat this all of FOUR times ! This process can take a lot of time.
Private Message Reply: 16 - 33
ITman496
October 28, 2018, 7:10pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I too am going to try to design a nice way for a single person to quickly attach the wings once I have the plane in my hands and am at that stage..  I don't want to faff around for an hour just to get the wings on so I can fly!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 33
bobnafe
October 28, 2018, 8:21pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
ITman, yes on very used utility trailer 74"x16'. Local trail mfg made up to squares 10" x 48" and "C" channel the width of the trailer + squares (20"). Not required but I had them hot dipped for rust protection. The drawing is rough and NOT to scale.  The building materials were from HD and were metal for interior walls then sheeted with roofing metal and lots of steel pop rivets.  All the verticals are on 16" ctr.  Roof brace is metal with wood to form a hip roof with Corion for run-off. The aft ramp/awning and 1x2 give strength to the aft side walls as well. The trailer is light as is the MiniMax.  The wheel placement will have to be worked outwith your CG.  Also very important. I put a boat cleat in the center near the ramp to tie the MiniMax down.  Never had it move back wards but secure the main wheels as well. Enough for now.
BobN
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 33
ITman496
October 28, 2018, 9:29pm Report to Moderator

Ace
@bobnafe

I don't see a drawing posted anywhere, did it not upload?

Also, did you use this kind of interior wall frame?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cl.....-360080010/100318990
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 33
bobnafe
October 28, 2018, 9:39pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Keith,   I made up two pvc sawhorses.  One to for the tail, to get the MiniMax level. The other for the bottom of the wing inboard of the tip.  The procedure I used: 1) Lay the wing flat on the grass, 2) Put the inboard L/E spar on top of the wheel, 3) Place adjusted pvc sawhorse about 2' inboard of the wing tip.  The wing is now resting on the sawhorse and tire in a almost level position, with the inboard end lower, 4) Place the inboard fwd spar attach fitting into the hole then the aft spar fitting. Then install the pins with safe lock.  5) Lift the wing with my back, as I install and secure the strut/wheel axle bolt. The wing is no longer resting on the pvc sawhorse, but 2" to 3" above it.  6) Attach the teleflex, the left wing only the pitot tube line.  The go do the other wing and do the same.  After doing it a few time I found it quicker and easier doing it without help. The pvc sawhorse is stowed at the fwd end of the trailer/mobile hangar (pic).  2" tube for the uprights fit in a lower/base tee (not glued). Base will swivel for storage. 1 1/2" tube with "L" fittings and the downrights telescope inside the 2" uprights.  Also the 1 1/2" vertical downrights are drilled for adjustment every 2" or so.  They are light and stow away very EZ.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 33
bobnafe
October 28, 2018, 10:01pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
ITman/Keith, I been having problems loading pictures.  Will try again.

Attachment: mmcleat_3760.jpg
Size: 37.96 KB

Attachment: mmsawhorse_5523.jpg
Size: 64.07 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 33
ITman496
October 28, 2018, 10:01pm Report to Moderator

Ace
That system makes sense, I think I will adopt it too!  Thank you for posting so much detail about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 33
bobnafe
October 28, 2018, 10:39pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Try again ITman. I had the wrong format on photo.

Attachment: trailerdrawing1a_4752.jpg
Size: 22.68 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 33
ITman496
October 28, 2018, 10:59pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thank you so much!!!!

This will be fantastic.

Did you get a chance to look at the home depot link from before to see if that is similar to what you used? The only reason I'm not sure is because it looks like you have square tubing as you are able to rivet to it, and yet the flat face is towards the camera.  Or does yours just have big flanges on it?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 33
bobnafe
October 28, 2018, 11:07pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Quoted from ITman496
@bobnafe

I don't see a drawing posted anywhere, did it not upload?

Also, did you use this kind of interior wall frame?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cl.....-360080010/100318990

ITman,  That material should be good.  Just use the 3 1/2" side to attach the side wall/roofing material.  Remember sheet metal screws love to claw into MiniMax's. DON'T USE THEM, pop rivets is the way to go.
BobN

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 33
ITman496
October 28, 2018, 11:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Sounds good to me!

Sounds like an excuse to buy one of these finally...

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 33
Keith103
October 29, 2018, 12:07am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Quoted from bobnafe
Keith,   I made up two pvc sawhorses.  One to for the tail, to get the MiniMax level. The other for the bottom of the wing inboard of the tip.  The procedure I used: 1) Lay the wing flat on the grass, 2) Put the inboard L/E spar on top of the wheel, 3) Place adjusted pvc sawhorse about 2' inboard of the wing tip.  The wing is now resting on the sawhorse and tire in a almost level position, with the inboard end lower, 4) Place the inboard fwd spar attach fitting into the hole then the aft spar fitting. Then install the pins with safe lock.  5) Lift the wing with my back, as I install and secure the strut/wheel axle bolt. The wing is no longer resting on the pvc sawhorse, but 2" to 3" above it.  6) Attach the teleflex, the left wing only the pitot tube line.  The go do the other wing and do the same.  After doing it a few time I found it quicker and easier doing it without help. The pvc sawhorse is stowed at the fwd end of the trailer/mobile hangar (pic).  2" tube for the uprights fit in a lower/base tee (not glued). Base will swivel for storage. 1 1/2" tube with "L" fittings and the downrights telescope inside the 2" uprights.  Also the 1 1/2" vertical downrights are drilled for adjustment every 2" or so.  They are light and stow away very EZ.

Bob, Thanks much for the detailed explanation. Good to have so many helpful folks on board.

I guess the process gets easier and quicker as one gets more experience doing it. I may fabricate a wing tip stand / saw horse, which can adjust the slope / inclination of the wing by moving the stand inboard or outboard along the front spar. That way I may be able to make minor adjustments to wing slope to get spar pins to align with slots. After the 4 spar pins are inserted, I can use the same mechanism to align the strut-to-wheel-axle bolt.

Thanks again.
Private Message Reply: 27 - 33
ITman496
October 29, 2018, 12:40am Report to Moderator

Ace
Part of me wants to see how hard it would be to make a removable attachment kept on the ground that when you land, you mount it across the cockpit and onto the wings and it serves as a hinge for storage, sort of like how other ultralights have their wings fold back.  But I do not know how easy that would be, until I get the aircraft here and try to put the wings on!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 33
ScottLuckman
October 29, 2018, 1:19am Report to Moderator
Wing Man
Time Online: 21 days 15 hours 15 minutes
Here's the one man wing installation/removal tool by ULBUILDER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG8m6Gb0slI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZl53mWWbes

Your Welcome!
Scott
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 33
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment