Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  high-wing vs. mid-wing spars Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

high-wing vs. mid-wing spars  This thread currently has 456 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
RedBird
October 3, 2018, 3:35pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Back in 2007 when I bought my Eros plans from John (JDT) I also bought the high-wing supplement drawings, as my original intent was to build a high-wing Eros. As I recall, he suggested that the two were completely compatible. I.e., just build fuselage and wing according to "beefed up" Eros plans, but use himax drawings to make it a high-wing aircraft. All sounds simple enough.

I have been studying plans and have noted the various differences of the Eros spars compared to the 1700R and 1600R spars (e.g. added RS9 front spar cap doublers, RS9 instead of RS8 rear spar cap doublers, added RS23 rear spar center section, etc.). All makes sense for the heavier duty wing.

My question regards the high-wing vs. mid-wing configuration. If I am understanding the drawings correctly, it appears the only difference between construction of the two is the dihedral angle at the root end of the spars. Have I missed anything else?

The reason I ask is that ideally, I would like to build the spars this month if possible; but keep my options open for a little longer (until I build the fuse) with respect to going high-wing or mid-wing. (reasons being contemplated a separate discussion )

Have I got this right? The wing design/structure between Himax and standard Minimax is basically identical, other than dihedral angle?

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bob Daly
October 3, 2018, 5:35pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
I have the 1100R and 1700R plans.  The wings are identical except for the dihedral angle set at the root rib.
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
RedBird
October 3, 2018, 5:47pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Bob Daly
I have the 1100R and 1700R plans.  The wings are identical except for the dihedral angle set at the root rib.

Thank you for confirming Bob.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 13
gyrojeffro
October 4, 2018, 3:39am Report to Moderator
Guest User
This may be the biggest troll failure in the histure of mankind.
E-mail Reply: 3 - 13
PUFF
October 4, 2018, 11:39am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Explain Troll Failure please....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
RedBird
October 4, 2018, 8:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from 509
This may be the biggest troll failure in the histure of mankind.

???

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
gyrojeffro
October 5, 2018, 3:39am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Oops my bad guys, I tend to joke around in real life with my friends and with the lake of smillies I may have gotten confused, my bad.
E-mail Reply: 6 - 13
gyrojeffro
October 5, 2018, 3:49am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from 509
Oops my bad guys, I tend to joke around in real life with my friends and with the lake of smillies I may have gotten confused, my bad.

You should be good redbird, the wings of all the max aircraft are the same, you need to contact David at team to be sure. Just to confuse you even more the himax can be built as the 1103 model. The himax ultralight. http://liteblueangels.org/liteblueangels/Projects/Pages/Howards_Hi-Max.html
E-mail Reply: 7 - 13
cameron
October 8, 2018, 11:22pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 7 hours 1 minutes
I don’t think all wings are the same, if you look on the compare area of the website some models are different lengths. My airbike wing is longer and the spars are different. So be careful assuming they are the same, I would check both sets of plans to confirm.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 13
PUFF
October 9, 2018, 11:19am Report to Moderator

Ace
I do know that the VMAX wings are different in that they are built a tad heavier, so yes a plans check for it is in order. I do believe the spar attach points are different at the fuse for airbike vs minimax, however they may interchange with some slight mods.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 13
RedBird
October 9, 2018, 2:38pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from cameron
I don’t think all wings are the same, if you look on the compare area of the website some models are different lengths. My airbike wing is longer and the spars are different. So be careful assuming they are the same, I would check both sets of plans to confirm.

I do know that the VMAX wings are different in that they are built a tad heavier, so yes a plans check for it is in order. I do believe the spar attach points are different at the fuse for airbike vs minimax, however they may interchange with some slight mods.

Yes, I think you both are right. Thank you.
For purposes of my original post, I was mainly hoping I did not miss something subtle between hi-max and mid-wing design structure so that I can build wings to EROS plans, hold off on dihedral angle cut, and wait until I get back to Idaho before making final decision on high-wing or mid-wing.

But your points are well taken, not all wings are absolutely identical across TEAM/minimax designs. Good clarification. Thank you again.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
Captn_Frog
January 3, 2019, 1:42am Report to Moderator

A Full VW Hi-Max builder.
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 2 hours 55 minutes
What did you end up with regarding the diheral difference?
I am building a 1550Vmax with the Hi-Max option. I too noticed that spars for all the mid wing versions are 3 degrees and the spars for high wing are 1.5 degrees.

In addition, I notice the fuslage for the Vmax has the read spar carry through at station 4. But is this still required when you add the hig wings? I would think not.

Rocky
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
mullacharjak
January 3, 2019, 9:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes

I read somewhere that you have to raise the wing tip in the minimax 7.27 inch to get the required dihedral.Now thats simpler than calculating 3 degrees in my opinion.

KK
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 13
PUFF
January 3, 2019, 12:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I bought a digital angle finder and used it on top of the spar after I ABSOLUTELY leveled my fuselage.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment