Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  AN hardware pricing logic? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

AN hardware pricing logic?  This thread currently has 243 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
RedBird
September 25, 2018, 6:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
I bet there is a logical reason; so hoping someone can edify me .

Ordering my hardware for emppanage assembly. Plans call for qty 8 of AN525-10R26 (1 5/8" 10-32 cross recessed screws) to attach hinges.  

Aircraft Spruce only lists lengths up to 1 1/2" . Fortunately, Wicks does carry the 1 5/8" variety; however,  while 1 1/2" are only $0.44 each, the 1 5/8" are $2.03 each (almost five times as expensive)!  Ironically, Wicks also has 1 7/8" at $1.26 each (and do not carry 1 3/4" length).

So, just curious. Anyone able to explain the pricing logic to me?

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message
joe.scalet
September 25, 2018, 10:50pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
Supply and demand.

Some of these items are no longer in production. You might also try B&B aircraft in Osawatomie Ks. They have a web site:
https://www.bandbaircraftsupplies.com

They all appear to use the AS and Wicks catalogues for pricing guidance. These companies have traditionally acquired inventory by bidding on aircraft manufacturer floor sweepings by the pound and then hand sorted, bagged and priced the products. Why floor sweepings?
The production line people carry the parts in hand held multi compartment cases to the location on the production line. If they drop a small part it is not economically feasible to climb down, retrieve it, and return to the work site. At the end of the day these parts are swept up, put in barrels and periodically auctioned off. Occasionally a manufacturer goes out of business and the stock is auctioned off as well.
Unfortunately modern aircraft are using fewer and fewer of the traditional AN and MS hardware. New manufactured stock is expensive but usually available. The availability of the "floor sweeping stock is going away". Last year I had to pay $350 for a control column "U Joint" that I had purchased for $5.00 ten years before.
We are fortunate in the Kansas City area as there are two sources for these parts locally, B&B and Air Parts.
Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
joe.scalet
September 25, 2018, 11:29pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
If you want a reality check Go to Avial and check their prices.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
RedBird
September 25, 2018, 11:33pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from joe.scalet
Supply and demand.

Thank you Joe. Although I had no clue of the driving details (e.g. floor sweepings) I did guess it was supply/demand driven to some extent. Just seems weird on something like AN screws/bolts to see such pricing outliers. I will check the sources you suggest. Thanks again!

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
RedBird
September 25, 2018, 11:42pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from joe.scalet
If you want a reality check Go to Avial and check their prices.

well. I tried; Avial shows AN525-10R26 in stock, but prices only provided for those with accounts, and they would not accept my new account request unless I am a registered business...

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
Keith103
September 26, 2018, 4:21am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Sometimes it is supply and demand, some times it probably may not be. In attached listing from a vendor for fuel hose clamps, one size of clamp is priced very high. Turns out that is possibly the most widely used clamp because it fits the standard fuel hose used in most home-builts. Call that smart pricing or stealth pricing?

Attachment: hose_clamps_pricing_7947.jpg
Size: 114.80 KB

Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
RedBird
September 26, 2018, 11:40am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Keith103
Sometimes it is supply and demand, some times it probably may not be. In attached listing from a vendor for fuel hose clamps, one size of clamp is priced very high. Turns out that is possibly the most widely used clamp because it fits the standard fuel hose used in most home-builts. Call that smart pricing or stealth pricing?

another good example, very analogous to my search for AN525-10R26 screws

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
Dick Rake
September 27, 2018, 1:57am Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Wicks is having a 30% off sale on hardware through 9/28.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
RedBird
September 27, 2018, 2:31am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Dick Rake
Wicks is having a 30% off sale on hardware through 9/28.

Thanks!! Was on Wicks site today, but did not even notice.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
Dick Rake
September 27, 2018, 3:36pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from RedBird

Thanks!! Was on Wicks site today, but did not even notice.

This was the email I received a few days ago. (see Attachment)

Attachment: 52_am_7136.pdf
22 downloads   -   Size: 113.01 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment