Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Who built this? Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Who built this?   This thread currently has 522 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
nathan.bissonette
September 10, 2018, 11:11pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 9 hours 13 minutes
Buying a Mini-Max from a salvage yard in Texas, who say they got it at an auction.  No logs or record books.  Tail fin has a Louisiana Tech logo.  Anybody know who built it?  

Also, I'm planning to haul it from Texas to Minnesota in a 22-foot box truck.  Where are the safe tie-down points?

Attachment: 557245654_4165.jpg
Size: 216.41 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
RedBird
September 10, 2018, 11:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Looks like a fun project. Congratulations on the find.

I do not claim to be an expert; but, I have transported at least a half dozen Max aircraft all over and across the country - in open and closed trailers, on a flatbed, and in box trucks, all without incident. I typically use both ends of the axle (medial to wheel) and tailspring as primary points to keep it secure fore-aft and laterally. If possible I will also block the wheels. Keeping tail down sometimes involves a strap over solid part of air frame near point of vertical stabilizer, particularly if cannot do so adequately via tail spring.  Just be careful with placement to make sure it is on a solid part of frame, preferably close to a vertical brace. It helps to have some sort of basic wing rack with some cushioning for nose of wings to spread load across most surface area if you cannot lay wings down (and strapped, with padding to wall). I can honestly say that even though I have moved these birds over pretty long distances at least a dozen times, I have never used the exact same method twice. I am typically liberal with straps and padding. Just be cautious not to put pressure on fragile parts, and be aware that everything is likely to shift a time or two early in your trip, and you will likely be good to go. If there is a secret preferred method, I do not know it. In my experience it just takes being methodical and cautious. These birds are pretty rugged really.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
Greg Doe
September 11, 2018, 2:05am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Congratulations. Those racks should be adequate for the wings, just tie them down with straps. Tie the fuselage down by the axle, and the tail wheel spring. I transported my Max in a 4ft. X 20 ft. open glider trailer 800 miles without issues.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
tomshep
September 11, 2018, 5:48am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Place a box under the rear fuselage to lift the tailwheel off the ground if towing long distance. They don't like being bounced up and down all day.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
PUFF
September 11, 2018, 11:45am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I would wrap the wing racks in some better carpet as well, or better yet foam. Best tie those racks good or bolt them down, and then tie the wings in good as well. a Cross Wind will be a major worry at any rate.
I had mine in the back of the truck lying top-to-top with bedding Foam on the underside, and in between. worked out fine for me.
The Max fuse was tied down on top of a modified single axle boat trailer. My only complaint was that some of the instruments didn't survive the bouncing.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
nathan.bissonette
September 11, 2018, 10:53pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Thanks, you guys are awesome.  I'm picking up the airplane on Thursday.  Can't wait !!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
PUFF
September 12, 2018, 11:54am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
If you can without damaging anything, remove the instrument panel if you're going over 100 miles.
Also an open trailer can be used for the fuse as long as it's tied down well by the axles and tail-spring.
You can put the wings in the back of an 8' bed truck, However they must be well insulated from both the truck and one another.
Be careful of cross-winds if you use the included wing cradle and ensure that it's bolted down to the bed of the truck somehow in addition to the side tie-offs.
and ensure that the wings are well tied to the cradle.
in either case, take the wing cradle, as you will need it in the future. unless you build your own.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
Dick Rake
September 12, 2018, 12:58pm Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Nathan,
Puff is correct about removing the instrument panel if you can. I found my 2 1/4" altimeter dead on arrival after a 1200 mile trip and I have a shock mounted panel. Road bumps are stronger than air bumps.
I think you're new Max is located near Dallas and my Max is hangared about 100 miles east and just north of I-20 at the Gladewater airport (07F). If your route takes you near Gladewater I could link up with you at my hangar and look over your airplane and talk Mini-max's . My cell is 602-999-3715
Dick
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
nathan.bissonette
September 13, 2018, 5:08am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Dick Rake, that's a generous offer.  I'd love to meet.  I arrive DFW on Thursday the 13th at 10:00 a.m.  By the time I get the truck, buy the airplane, load it . . .  I could be at your airport late afternoon or early dinner time.  I'll call your cell phone when I have a more definite timeline.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
Dick Rake
September 13, 2018, 10:48am Report to Moderator

Home phone 602-999-3715/Mini-max with Hirth 2704
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 13 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from nathan.bissonette
Dick Rake, that's a generous offer.  I'd love to meet.  I arrive DFW on Thursday the 13th at 10:00 a.m.  By the time I get the truck, buy the airplane, load it . . .  I could be at your airport late afternoon or early dinner time.  I'll call your cell phone when I have a more definite timeline.  

Sounds good. I'm retired so any time is ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
TreeTopsTom
September 14, 2018, 3:42am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 26 days 13 hours 37 minutes
Dick Rake is obviously one hell of a nice guy!
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
nathan.bissonette
September 30, 2018, 2:48am Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Quick update.  Thanks for all who posted advice on hauling the airplane, and to Dick Rake who looked over the plane in Texas before I drove it 1,000 miles home in the truck.  It's now in a hangar in New Richmond, Wisconsin but not flying until I correct a few issues.  Nothing major - charge the battery, replace the seat (broken board), replace a brake cable.  Gives me time to get a couple of tailwheel lessons.

I tracked down the builder, Dr. Kurt Satter, retired professor from Louisiana Tech living in north Texas.  He built then donated it to the local public television station as a fundraiser.  They sold it through an auction house.  A salvage yard bought it but had trouble finding a buyer because they had no logs or plans.  I took a chance and struck gold.  Dr. Satter is finishing a Zenith and if you Google his name, his Zenith builder page shows a photo of him with my Mini-Max.

I don't know the protocol for this website so please correct me if I do this wrong.  I'd like to ask questions about the exhaust mount, the throttle linkage, and that's just today's puzzles.  I used the search function but didn't find the answers I need.  Do I post my questions in this thread?  Or start new threads?  

Here's the first question.  Hirth F33 engine, single exhaust, bracket bolted to side of engine compartment forward of firewall, two bolts to hold the muffler.  The forward bolt has a hole for a cotter key and a castle nut so I know when it's on tight.  The forward bolt goes through this bushing arrangement but it doesn't want to tighten down, there's still 1/16 inch play.  I assume the loose bushing will let the muffler flop around. Is that bad?  The back bolt has the springs - very weak, which don't seem to do much.  Shouldn't this whole thing be more solidly mounted?

Attachment: 20180929_150054__copy_1102.jpg
Size: 574.34 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment