Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  EROS project reboot Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

EROS project reboot  This thread currently has 914 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
RedBird
September 10, 2018, 6:14pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Spending a couple days with a table saw, thickness planer, and caliper, turning boards into RS stock sure feels good. Not every inch of the boards meet specs; but I am finding that with a little bit of effort, it is feasible to dimension decent pieces that appear comparable to the typical RS stock I have found in kits and on built Max planes. These pics just represent the process. I'll post some examples of my RS stock eventually. Sure, it is not quick, but I enjoy being able to create the stock pieces I want, and knowing that if I screw up a part I can just re-create what I need, and get a do-over.

Attachment: smdimwood1_3990.jpg
Size: 179.10 KB

Attachment: smdimwood2_3803.jpg
Size: 102.86 KB

Attachment: smdimwood3_3218.jpg
Size: 98.81 KB

Attachment: smdimwood4_2924.jpg
Size: 121.50 KB

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message
cdlwingnut
September 11, 2018, 10:58pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
Looks like some nice douglas fir in there
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 21
RedBird
September 12, 2018, 12:25am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from cdlwingnut
Looks like some nice douglas fir in there

Yes, thanks. I have been collecting boards for a decade. Ironically, the one time I special ordered some "vertical grain" DF from home depot, I was the most disappointed. The growth rings just were not tight at all. I have a mix of douglas fir, clear pine, and even some hemlock. Probably will end up mostly using clear pine for this build; but may use some DF for a couple spar caps. We'll see.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 21
RedBird
October 1, 2018, 5:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
met my self-imposed timeline by building rib #24 last night... vertical stab also built... hopefully rest of empennage by mid-month...

Attachment: eroswingribs_sm_6684.jpg
Size: 35.12 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 21
beragoobruce
October 2, 2018, 7:00am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
Looking good RB!  It gets to be a bit of a PITA by about rib #10 or so, doesn't it?  But great when they're done, and even better when you put them all into a wing.

I admire your sourcing & machining your own materials. Were i to build again I would go this route, partly for cost but mainly for quality control.

Good luck with your build - I'll be interested to follow your progress. Which engine are you planning on?

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 21
korale
October 2, 2018, 12:40pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 1 days 20 hours 27 minutes
Looks like you are on you way,

I'm sourcing and ripping my own stock as well, while it is PITA initially (and you throw out a lot of wood) I found that I have gradually build up the skills and the jigs I needed to get a 'good enough' result.

Also it's heaps of savings (and shavings) and spending in relatively small amounts, and if you goof up you can always cut it down to a usable piece that's a little smaller,

I'm using locally sourced hoop pine.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 21
The Termite
October 2, 2018, 1:31pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Looks like your wife will have plenty of mulch for her shrubs and flower beds.............
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 21
RedBird
October 2, 2018, 1:48pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from beragoobruce
Looking good RB!  It gets to be a bit of a PITA by about rib #10 or so, doesn't it?...  

I admire your sourcing & machining your own materials. ...Which engine are you planning on?

Bruce

Thanks! haha, Yes, there is a PITA factor in the rib building process! however, as Korale suggested, I also found my skills gradually improving, which is big part of enjoyment. My last ribs are "better" (cleaner, built faster) than those first few. I did build a practice rib first, so that helped; but nothing like repetition to refine things .  

Everything Korale said rings true - LOTS of shavings, especially machining hundreds of feet of 1/4" X 1/4"; but arriving at RS stock from a variety of boards really is satisfying (albeit slow!).  Given that I bought a new bench-top thickness planer (actually two - but that is another story) explicitly for the project, I probably cannot claim to be "saving" on costs initially...  But, I can always justify buying new tools .

And yes, lets just say cutting down mistakes to smaller usable pieces hypothetically "sounds" like a good idea ...

I have accumulated a small collection of (low time) Rotax 503 engines over past decade, so that is my planned FWF setup. I am not yet confident in my own ability to tear down/rebuild so will most likely bring engine to one of the guys that advertise on Barnstormers. None of the 503's have flown for a few years, so at minimum will need seals.

I will likely be moving project across the USA this fall, so for now I am focused on building sub-assemblies. Empennage is next, then probably landing gear, bulkhead, floor board & pedals, engine mount, and maybe spars. When I get back out west, once I sell my Mooney I will have plenty of hangar space for wing & fuselage building and assembly.

At least that is the current plan. Will see how life cooperates . In meantime, I am enjoying opportunity to finally put time in on the project.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 21
RedBird
April 5, 2020, 4:11am Report to Moderator

Ace
MIA update:

Hello Buzzards. I hope this finds you all healthy and well.

Just finishing up another six month stint in Death Valley, volunteering for the Park Service, so was hoping to re-re-boot my Eros project this month. Plan was to drive back to NH in a couple weeks. Work on it while visiting folks, then pack it with me to hangar in Idaho and make some progress this summer... Well... COVID-19 has scratched that plan ... I will be remaining hunkered down in my RV in remote Nevada for next six weeks or so.  So, progress will likely have to wait a while longer (although I admit, the thought crossed my mind of ordering some 1/4" stock from AS and building another set of ribs just to feel like I was building again. I could probably make space in my RV for that...).

In mean time, I think I have decided to go with the high-wing version of the Eros. It is the reason I ordered the high wing supplement from Jon over a decade ago, and has always been "the max" I wanted to build.  Plus hec, it'll good practice for building that Epic Sport kit I am going to win in the drawing .

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 21
LSaupe
August 27, 2020, 3:27pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
Redbird:

Hope your summer has gone well given all your proposed movement.  Any progress to report?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 21
RedBird
October 25, 2022, 4:27am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from LSaupe
Redbird:

Hope your summer has gone well given all your proposed movement.  Any progress to report?

Well... I am not sure replying two+ years late qualifies as progress... but I am hoping to re-boot the project yet again... I think life has settled down sufficiently to do so.  Probably won't be home for another week or so; but hope to begin shortly thereafter... that is the plan anyway...

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 21
PUFF
October 25, 2022, 1:53pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I'm still around. Probably going to have to get myself another bird. Divorced about time Covid hit and sold it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 21
RedBird
November 5, 2022, 8:18pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from PUFF
I'm still around. Probably going to have to get myself another bird. Divorced about time Covid hit and sold it all.

yea, life can toss in some pretty big bumps, that is for sure... For me I am hoping getting back into a build can help facilitate constructive next chapter. I think it will... I really enjoyed this group for several years... seems quiet now; but perhaps if a few of us get some active builds going again it will pick up...

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 21
RedBird
November 14, 2022, 4:38am Report to Moderator

Ace
Looks like a high wing Eros doesn't it??  

My two fuse sides are 1000miles from here, and unlikely to be retrieved soon, so this is starting point for Eros project re-boot.

Need to get back to milling RS stock. Lumber prices have gotten even more crazy in past few years. Its a little tedious; but I enjoyed the process last time.  I think I might have enough on hand for the horizontal stabilizer and elevator, so intend to build and mill in parallel. At least that is the plan...

The forum seems super slow.

Who else has an active build?

Attachment: eros_ribs_vertical_stab_rudder_sm_8944.jpg
Size: 37.57 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 21
gangeli
November 16, 2022, 4:08am Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 4 days 9 hours 10 minutes
I'm building a MiniMax 1600R in Victoria, Australia.  I am especially keen to get in touch with other Australian active builders.
This forum has certainly slowed down, but it is still an invaluable source of info and I much prefer this to FB.  Pity that the info is so scattered and not very easy to search.

Attachment: img_3500_resampled_6589.jpg
Size: 210.78 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 21
RedBird
November 17, 2022, 7:28am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from gangeli
I'm building a MiniMax 1600R in Victoria, Australia.  I am especially keen to get in touch with other Australian active builders.
This forum has certainly slowed down, but it is still an invaluable source of info and I much prefer this to FB.  Pity that the info is so scattered and not very easy to search.

Cool! Looks like you will be covering soon!
Agree about the search challenges here. Its always been that way. Still, I always enjoyed the various discussions when it was active with regulars. It felt like more of a community than most of the FB groups I am part of. But I think the key ingredient was having a quorum of sorts of active builders and flyers all making regular visits. I'm hoping it might pick back up a little with some regular project updates and maybe flying stories. We'll see. I have always thought having max builders from around the globe was one of the neat things about the community.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 21
lake_harley
November 17, 2022, 1:06pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 25 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Quoted from RedBird
I always enjoyed the various discussions when it was active with regulars. It felt like more of a community than most of the FB groups I am part of.

^^^^That is so true. I don't understand why FB is where things have gone. There is little organization of the posts or information, no search feature that I know of, and since there aren't really "threads" or topics how do you follow a question or thought process through on a given topic. I waste way too much time on the internet, but I could see wasting more and getting less through FB compared to forums.

Guess I'm just old and grumpy this morning.

Lynn

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 21
Bob Hoskins
November 17, 2022, 3:59pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
No, what you said is true. Too much time wasted on facebook.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 21
PUFF
November 21, 2022, 12:09pm Report to Moderator

Ace
FB was designed to mine for data and send you ads. Click-Bait. Thats about what it's good for.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 21
Bob Hoskins
November 21, 2022, 8:08pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey Puff
It is amazing how great new technology can be turned against us. I have so many passwords, I am fed up with it! It is great that our planes don't have all the technology crammed into a car engine. The carb on my C85 in my Chief isn't as complicated as my riding mower, LOL. 80 and still flying. Not many of us old timers left here. How you doing?
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 21
PUFF
November 22, 2022, 11:55am Report to Moderator

Ace
not too bad. I don't have an aircraft anymore. got divorced.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 21
PoconoJohn
December 15, 2022, 2:14am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 8 hours 18 minutes
I'm teaching about a dozen kids how to build a plane. I selected the 1650 EROS. The tail is all done and ribs are mostly done. We can't afford the hardware kit, so some ribs don't have the parts for the bracket/hinge. About to start building the spars. I'm a bit nervous as I've never had to build a spar before.

Attachment: kbp283_copy_2711.jpg
Size: 97.24 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 21 - 21
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment