Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Mounting engine with wings removed Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Mounting engine with wings removed  This thread currently has 306 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Keith103
September 8, 2018, 8:24pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
A small question on how to keep the tail in down position in storage, when wings are removed. Due to the engine's weight the nose tends to drop if not balanced by the weight of the wings. As a temporary measure, I have added some weight at the top of the tail section ( presently empennage is not mounted on fuselage ).

Also, I need to run the engine for a few hours after installation, and would like to do it on my drive-way without installing the wings. So tail needs to be forced into down position for that also.  I know there are several ways to do this, but this must be a common issue, and so if i can do it without having to re-invent the wheel, that would be nice.

Thanks for suggestions.
Private Message
Keith103
September 8, 2018, 10:37pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Further to my last message, I now get a feeling that had my tail (weighing 11 lbs) been bolted on to the fuselage, this problem of tail lifting on a wing-less fuselage should not happen. Is that correct ?
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
Stilson
September 8, 2018, 11:39pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 5 hours 36 minutes
Correct, at least on mine, tail on it's fine. Tail off I set a 25lbs scale calibration weight  under the tail wheel spring and loop a rope around it a couple times.   Wether  it is right or wrong, for engine run up with without the wings on I have the tail on, stick tied back, weight tied to the tail wheel spring arm as close as possible to where it bolts to the airframe, and use tall steep wheel chocks staked to the ground on the main wheels
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
Keith103
September 9, 2018, 6:13am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Stilson
Correct, at least on mine, tail on it's fine. Tail off I set a 25lbs scale calibration weight  under the tail wheel spring and loop a rope around it a couple times.   Wether  it is right or wrong, for engine run up with without the wings on I have the tail on, stick tied back, weight tied to the tail wheel spring arm as close as possible to where it bolts to the airframe, and use tall steep wheel chocks staked to the ground on the main wheels

Stilson, great information. Precisely what I was looking for.
Thanks for sharing.
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
Bob Hoskins
September 9, 2018, 4:35pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Keith
Just a thought. Do all the above and then tie it to something that will not move. Your neighbors will not love you if it gets loose. Just a safety measure. I have a 1200 pound lawn mower that will not let anything move, LOL.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
Stilson
September 9, 2018, 4:46pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
I forgot to also mention that I sit in it if I take it over idle, for added weight behind the mains and god for bid it did jump the chocks, I can shut it down.
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
gyrojeffro
September 10, 2018, 3:07am Report to Moderator
Guest User
do your ground run ups with the elevator functional or you will destroy your airplane.
E-mail Reply: 6 - 11
Keith103
September 10, 2018, 4:24am Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from Bob Hoskins
Keith
Just a thought. Do all the above and then tie it to something that will not move. Your neighbors will not love you if it gets loose. Just a safety measure. I have a 1200 pound lawn mower that will not let anything move, LOL.
Bob

Thank you Bob, good idea.
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
PUFF
September 10, 2018, 11:50am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
The thrust of the engine will pull it level or over center if the tail is not actually tied to something that wont move.
Tie it down low, or possibility of a prop strike becomes a probability.....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
RedBird
September 10, 2018, 12:34pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from Keith103
A small question on how to keep the tail in down position in storage, when wings are removed. Due to the engine's weight the nose tends to drop if not balanced by the weight of the wings. As a temporary measure, I have added some weight at the top of the tail section ( presently empennage is not mounted on fuselage ).

Thanks for suggestions.

I have stored 1100R, 1500R, Himax, and Eros all without wings and/or empennage. I always put weight on tail when doing do so.  It doesn't take much of a nudge of sitting, wingless (and especially tailless) max to rotate around altered COG, causing nose/prop to crash to ground. I haven't performed run-up without wings.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
Keith103
October 2, 2018, 8:03pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I am doing the break-in of the engine on my driveway. Done about 1.2 hrs so far. Usually I am alone when I do this. I make sure to sit in the cockpit before turning on the motor. Having electric start surely helps.

I noticed that with wings off, but empennage mounted and bolted on, tail is just barely heavy enough to stay grounded. But as soon as I put more than 1 gal fuel in the nose tank, nose again gets heavy enough to lift the tail. So I have a used motor cycle battery ( 14 lbs ) tied to the tail spring with a 15 inch rope so it does not lift more than 15 inches. Also I park my SUV ( curb weight 3550 lbs , in Park, and with brakes locked) just aft of the tail, and connect the tail spring with a rope to the tow/tie-down point just under the engine of the car. So far it seems to be working out alright.
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
Stilson
October 4, 2018, 4:09am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
This is probably unnecessary advice, but keep a close eye on your temps, prop wash is not the same as free flight as far as cooling is concerned, and a new rebuild is going to run a bit hotter as the parts hone themselves in.
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment