Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Trailering and set-up (Max103) Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Trailering and set-up (Max103)  This thread currently has 446 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
LSaupe
August 23, 2018, 12:22am Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 10 hours 40 minutes
I assume the answer might be no, but thought I would check.  Do any of you trailer and attach wings each time you fly?  Is this a reasonable proposition, or maybe just only for a season type of thing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
bobnafe
August 23, 2018, 12:35pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 17 days 7 hours 38 minutes
Yes, I have trailered and assembled my MiniMax for almost 20 years.  I takes about 20 min to assemble/disassemble by yourself, longer if helped. PVC stands to hold the tail up and level, another to install the wings,fold away for trailer storage.  If the wind is to high for assembly then it was to high to fly, for me.  The trailer,mobile hangar, was made, out of roofing material, to carry the MiniMax with the wings hung on the inside, of the trailer.  The tail assembly completely attached at all times. Upon reflecting, a through preFlight inspection was preformed during assembly/disassembly.  Repairs were made at home, as there was some HangarRash over the years, as with any flying machine.
Hope this helps.
BobN

Attachment: trailer1_4463.jpg
Size: 55.25 KB

Attachment: trailer4_2440.jpg
Size: 50.52 KB

Attachment: trailer3_8889.jpg
Size: 95.79 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 13
bobnafe
August 23, 2018, 12:35pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Time Online: 17 days 7 hours 38 minutes
Yes, I have trailered and assembled my MiniMax for almost 20 years.  I takes about 20 min to assemble/disassemble by yourself, longer if helped. PVC stands to hold the tail up and level, another to install the wings,fold away for trailer storage.  If the wind is to high for assembly then it was to high to fly, for me.  The trailer,mobile hangar, was made, out of roofing material, to carry the MiniMax with the wings hung on the inside, of the trailer.  The tail assembly completely attached at all times. Upon reflecting, a through preFlight inspection was preformed during assembly/disassembly.  Repairs were made at home, as there was some HangarRash over the years, as with any flying machine.
Hope this helps.
BobN

Attachment: trailer1_4463.jpg
Size: 55.25 KB

Attachment: trailer4_2440.jpg
Size: 50.52 KB

Attachment: trailer3_2397.jpg
Size: 95.79 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 13
PUFF
August 23, 2018, 2:46pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Mine's in the trailer now......
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 13
LSaupe
August 23, 2018, 11:56pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Impressive set-up!  Thanks for the reply and pics.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 13
kfb
August 24, 2018, 12:01am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
This subject has been discussed several times and interestingly, both sides of the discussion have been heard, from no way is it practical, to not too bad at all, twenty minutes out, twenty minutes back.  I like the latter one myself.  Somehow you can search this subject and get many more comments from people, some with pictures, and one guy also had a video of him assembling a Max with some helpful assists he created.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 13
kfb
August 24, 2018, 2:12pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
There are two Youtube videos on this;

Lonesome Buzzards Wing Wizard 3000 Wing Removal

and

Lonesome Buzzards Wing Wizard 3000 Wing Installation

Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 13
LSaupe
August 24, 2018, 5:25pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
That is really slick!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 13
gyrojeffro
August 25, 2018, 2:49am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I never trailered my skypup until I had two engine failures in cow fields. and my buddy saved me with his boat trailer. I was more nervous about damaging my airplane then I had even ben in my life. I wouldn't recommend hauling your airplane to your flying spot, just keep it where you intend to fly it.  
E-mail Reply: 8 - 13
gyrojeffro
August 25, 2018, 3:04am Report to Moderator
Guest User
when its comes to setup, I only had to insert two 3/8" bolts to install the wings on the skypup, the himax will be a little different, but this video will give you an idea of how I will do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGplvun8sZA
E-mail Reply: 9 - 13
PUFF
August 27, 2018, 11:49am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
None of us want to trailer very often, however many of us do each time, as there are no spaces available.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 13
The Termite
August 27, 2018, 2:37pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 3 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from PUFF
None of us want to trailer very often, however many of us do each time, as there are no spaces available.

Or if there are hangers available, the price is a bit high.

Currently where I am hangered, the rent is $250/month for a 40' x 36' hanger.  That would be a lot to keep just an ultralight,  but I also have a Cessna 175, and both planes fit in the hanger.  So I can justify the monthly fee.  
A lot of guys will partner  if both planes will fit in a single hanger.  Usually a high wing(Cessna 150/172/180/etc) and a low wing(Cherokee 180/Mooney/Musketeer/etc)  will fit together.  That helps with the monthly expense.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 13
Keith103
August 27, 2018, 5:41pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 13 days 6 hours 31 minutes
Some thoughts about trailering, extending beyond the labor involved in docking the wings and removing the wings for each flight.

1. If you use a trailer just for transporting the airplane to the airfield ( open trailer, assuming the airfield is close enough ), you need to find a place to store your plane and trailer at home in between flights. Wings are easier to store. I keep mine on top of the garage on a specially built loft that transfers the weight to the side walls, so I still have enough space to park vehicles in the garage. Where do I keep the fuselage (with landing gear and tail bolted in place,  in ready to fly configuration except for wings) ?

2. Secondly , what if your HOA does not allow parking of open trailers ( empty or loaded ) in your drive-way ? I have a big backyard that can take even the biggest RV, but with no access ( hemmed in by other houses to the back and sides )

3. An enclosed trailer takes care of the space needed for storage of the airplane, but what about parking charges for the trailer ?

4. Is there a specific set of guidelines on modifying an enclosed cargo trailer ( or fabricating a new enclosed trailer ) for storing fabric covered air planes ( ventillation, protection from UV, protections from rodents etc?  )
Private Message Reply: 12 - 13
tomshep
August 29, 2018, 7:13pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 19 hours 43 minutes
Built mine on a car trailer with a wooden frame and a pitched roof which had to go on in a hurry. I had used plastic tarpaulins for cover and the day I finished it, the heavens opened and I had 100 gallons to get out of the roof pool! I don't like rigging but am lucky enough to have a hangar for about $150 a month. I have just fitted a full width roller blind door made from truck side material. I can wind it up in a minute and have the 'Max ready for takeoff in five (if it will start!) Sheer luxury
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 13
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment