Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  experiences with a Kawasaki 340 LC engine Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

experiences with a Kawasaki 340 LC engine  This thread currently has 233 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
August 18, 2018, 8:59pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
I've got a flat top Max build underway and it is all set up for a 35+-HP Global engine.  Tomorrow I am going to look at a Fisher Flying Products 303 that is in Barnstormers and the price is only $2K with the Kawasaki 340LC engine and something like 150 hours.  This owner just bought it from someone who has since relocated and with whom I can't connect.  This owner has not flown it and has changed his mind and is sticking with trikes.  Price is right but this engine must never have achieved much market penetration as I can find little to no info on it.  J-Bird says he has a few happy customers with them but again, he has seen almost none in the field.  Anyone in the Max world have any experience with this engine?  I am interested in the 303 as it comes standard with easily foldable wings.  My gut is that it is a slightly less substantial airplane than the Max, and I would be reluctant to put the Global on it as it would take a lot of work and I just did that work converting the Max I bought from 447 engine to the Global.  All comments would be appreciated.  Thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
texasbuzzard
August 18, 2018, 11:53pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
I had a friend who used a 340 on his aircraft for several years. The engine ran great after he built a cooling shroud for the heads. They are very light and are ideal for a true u/l. I would not be afraid to use one. His was air cooled...never heard of a liquid cooled one.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
kfb
August 20, 2018, 2:07am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
As it turns out, I got to the airport where the 303 was and as soon as I looked at it, I realized it was a 22" wide fuselage at the cockpit rather than a 24" so I was fairly sure it would be too narrow for me.  Had I really thought about this before leaving to go see it, I would probably have remembered the FFP lower numbers, 101, 202, etc., were probably all 22".  It was a challenge to get into it and was uncomfortable once in it, just like a 202 I had tried on not too long ago.  I reminded the guy our deal had been contingent on my being able to get in a be functional/comfortable, he was fine, and he was on the phone before I left with a guy from Texas who took it sight unseen, everyone was happy.  So further into on the 340LC is not needed, comments appreciated.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
gyrojeffro
August 20, 2018, 2:35am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I saw that ad too, Its amazing how little people let wood airplanes go for, it looked like a amazing little airplane for $2000. My skypup had a 20" wide cockpit and I was fine with that of course, I wasn't a real big guy I was big in other areas, including my brain.  
E-mail Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  experiences with a Kawasaki 340 LC engine

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment